Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripple XML

mtbr member

GD Manual mill vs Kan3 CNC mill vs YB lathe - XXX

It's been a while since i touched the mill..but now i have a little bit of time, i thought i best used some of the bits I have..
    So instead of buying more ali. I thought, can i make a tripple XML from a piece of 38mm square ali bar that i have.
    The only option i see is to steel a leaf out of trouties book, and mount the driver in the end of the light rather than behind the leds..sorry Chris
    This uses 3 XML's, LC1 optics with a H6flex, 10mm momentary switch and a hirschman M8 right angle connector.
    Mounts will probably be one either end so the light straddles the stem..

Any thoughts on this design before i start the long hard slog of swearing at the mill?

Last edited by Goldigger; 04-20-2011 at 11:32 PM.

mtbr member
    as they say, why reinvent the wheel when you can steal one off your neighbour's car

one point though would be that you're tying yourself to reflectors with this design and troutie (and others) seem to like the optics better. might be something to think about..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    as they say, why reinvent the wheel when you can steal one off your neighbour's car

one point though would be that you're tying yourself to reflectors with this design and troutie (and others) seem to like the optics better. might be something to think about..
    Up north they usually swap all 4 wheels for bricks

Sorry no reflectors in this...edited my post as i didnt state that it would be using the LC1 optics.

removing nudity
    Goldigger, the triple I've just got working was made from 40mm x 40mm bar and I the reflectors are 26mm at their widest point. If you are concerned about the overall length then I did it with the HFlex in a pocket above middle reflector.

Happy to send you some 'Draft It" plans if you want them
    Last edited by emu26; 04-14-2011 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    My bar is 38x38mm..
    The LC1's are 21.6mm so my cut out will probably be 22mm.
    Curious as to how you got the h6flex in a pocket, wiring it up must have been a royal pita?

removing nudity
    Yeah that probably won't fit unless the LC1's reduce in size as they get closer to the LED the same way my DX ones do. The pocket was 10mm high. This would leave you very little top and bottom for wall thickness and fins.

PITA is correct, hence the problems. I wired the leds first and sat them in place with the front cover on to keep them secure. Poked the wires through the body and did all the switch and HFlex connections. Took the front cover back off and then, whilst holding the leds in place, slid the driver into its pocket doing my best not to jam wiring on the edges of the cut outs etc.

I think yours / Trouites plans are better though and it has already given me an idea on how to do the XML triple with 18mm DX reflectors I have on the way.

Edit: Goldigger it is a HipFlex I used, not a H6Flex and at 36mm is even bigger than the H6Flex

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What are you using mount the light to the bars? I think I may steal this design as well but with a maxflex.

Mine isn't as pretty

Last edited by kan3; 04-15-2011 at 12:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    What are you using mount the light to the bars? I think I may steal this design as well but with a maxflex.

Mine isn't as pretty

I was thinking of making my own clamps for it, not sure if i should use one full on clamp one end, and one of the oring types on the other end..

Will be interested to see how yours comes out?

I made a start on mine today, so far so good..

Only problem i have is george has no h6flex's in stock

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Probably won't start mine till next week as I still have to finish some other projects on the mill. I'd like to see an update on yours though in case I want to change my design.

His site also mentions some will be in next week which isn't too bad. When I went to order some stuff before it was a 1.5 month wait.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Troutie's version of this design started off as a finned round bar off the lathe. Then the milling work. I have always kind of liked the design

mtbr member
    I think its quite an easy design to machine, today I have:
    squared the bar
    Milled out the driver compartment
    Milled out most of the led compartment

Now i need to set up the rotary table to round the ends of the led compartment and also mill the round part of the o-ring groove.

removing nudity
    I think George is on holidays at the moment, from memory Scar mentioned it on another thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    I think George is on holidays at the moment, from memory Scar mentioned it on another thread.
    Yep no orders from 9th to 18th..
    But no stock of the h6flex till the 19th, I wonder if that date is set in stone.
    I'll just have to use a hipcc for the time being and just have one level.

mtbr member
    Cool lets have some proper photos of work in progress

If you get to the needing the h6flex stage and George has none I have a few here

go minimal and make 2 nice mounts to use the bars as heat sink

mtbr member
    Thanks Chris, maybe take you up on the H6flex
    Ok here is what it looks like after yesterdays work..
    Roughed out most of the slot for the led's, know I'm just finishing it off on the rotary table.
    One hole done two to go, but need to mill the half circle for the o-ring groove before i start the next hole..hope that makes sense..?

mtbr member
    Led holes are sorted..plus the oring groove around the two end leds, just need to join them up..
    Also need to mill a channel for the wires to sit in from each led to the next. Where i have left material where the led sits in, i will mill away the tops and bottoms to create the channel.

Driver compartment

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Beautiful!

removing nudity

What brand of mill are you using? Yes, I'm still dreaming

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26

What brand of mill are you using? Yes, I'm still dreaming
    It's a Sieg SX2
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...9/?src=froogle

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Where do you live? The x2 is on sale through HF until July for about $399+shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    Where do you live? The x2 is on sale through HF until July for about $399+shipping.
    If you can afford it, id recommend the SX2 over the X2.
    SX2 gets a 500watt brushless motor over the X2 which has a standard 350watt motor, the 350 watt motor is pretty noisy.

SX2 is also belt driven rather than the cheapo plastic gears that the X2 uses. reading a few forums, they suggest that the plastic gears are a wink link. If your cutter jams into the work it normally breaks the plastic gears.

SX2 has varible speed, rather than 2 speed gear box on the X2

removing nudity
    I'm in Sydney, Australia.

The x2 sells here on ebay for around the $700 mark. In stores its north of $800. HF won't ship tools like that to me, heck they won't even respond to emails inquiring about cost of freight, strange given what the F in HF stands for. Anyway

I did have concerns about those plastic gears, good to hear feedback on them. I'm still leaning towards the Proxxon setups but just can't justify spending that sort of money on a hobby.........at the moment.

mtbr member
    Being stratigic didnt pay off, i done all the milling in the vice so that i would only have to swap the vice for the rotary table once.
    Was working fine until i fu@ked up the front cover on the rotary table! now i need to swap the rotary table to the vice again, and then back to the rotary table.

Lucky i have plenty of 5mm ali plate spare!

mtbr member
    A little update on todays work..
    O-ring groove and led slots finished
    Need to remove about 5mm from the left end of the body..

New front cover and driver cover cut to size
    Bottom cover with hole in it is the front cover i messed up when i got up this morning. Dont know how it ended up so far out. Must have just crept gradually under the clamps.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Getting good with those o-ring grooves now! - So you going to use real spots (RS)? - Tried any of the others or combination of LC1?

What are everyone's thoughts on the xm-l and LXP - (I've got quite a few).

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast