Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Triple - Triple XPE design.

11K views 109 replies 24 participants last post by  pucked up 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been working on a new design as I've been a bit bored at work this week...it's going to be a Triple Triple XPE. It's only in the early stages of design but I'd appreciate any feedback regarding the design, optics, driver etc.

The pic is just a screenshot from my masterCAM drawing:)

Here's the good bit ( I think)....the 2 pods on the side are going to be rotateable so that the beam can be customised for angle. By using different optics you shoud be able to get a really good beam pattern that would give a nice flood (using a wide or elliptical optic) good miidle light (using a medium) and nice throw with a narrow...

Let me know what ya think please :thumbsup:

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a wild looking housing D! Are the side pods adjustable only up and down, or ball-and-socket style for any-angle adjustment? I've been thinking about a triple xr-e design with vertical adjustment on the outer two leds, but it's not nearly so exotic (no CNC mills in my basement).

JZ

#6 ·
Hey Hakan,

Thanks :thumbsup: How did you get on with the other housing? At the moment, the housing is approx 90mm wide, 40mm high and 50mm deep. As it's just the initial design, I'll be looking at reducing the size (if possible) and trying to save some weight. Mind you, I don't even know how much it will weigh yet :madman: so it may already be superlight once I get to machine one.

I'll add some more info once I've got the prototype done. Need to place an order with cutters though...

Steve

#7 ·
[quote]Let me know what ya think please ....

mmmm yummy ... please sir can i have 2 of those squarey roundy middley bits in one piece
a dooble triple, run 6 series on a nFlex with a 6 cell battery (big bright, big runtime)
mount at back switch on top, dc in bottom glass lens protect the optic
black ano ............ `kin killer light :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Hey Graham,

If you think it's small now you should see it once I've made it smaller....:thumbsup: I reckon I can loose about 20% of the current size! It's just a prototype at the moment so will see how it works once I have enough dough to order some LED's and optics from cutter...I reckon it could be good!
I initially designed it around the hipFlex but as the maxFlex will do fine, I'll be able to make it quite a bit smaller. Just need to get on the lathe so I can turn the side pods.
You'll be 1st on the list if I do a few to sell:D

Steve

#15 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

womble: I'll be using a 15v 5.4aH Li-ion, driven by a maxFlex :)

racerdave: You DON'T have to buy one :D I've really got the bug now...I guess I'm a bit like troutie, I spend a lot of time at work sketching out possible options on what would/wouldn't work. I reckon this one will...and the adjustable beam angles should work really well too.

I've had a bit of a play on my CAD/CAM today and have managed to shave 2mm off the outer size. That takes it down from 40mm to 36mm. Should save quite a bit of weight, the centre body was 110g (with screws/switch and a dummy maxFlex in)

#16 ·
deesta said:
(with screws/switch and a dummy maxFlex in)
Hi Deesta,

Why the maxflex?

It has a max output of 1.2 amps, so if you are going to parallel the three strings you will only be able to give 400ma to each LED. It would think your housing will be able to cope with more heat than that! :devil:

If you are going series, then it is a massive Vf and will smoke the maxflex.

Just thinking about how bright this could be if they were all running at 700ma :thumbsup:

#19 ·
It is a very interesting concept and I am thinking it would lend itself to using a quad in the centre and 2 triples in the outers . this would then give you the even number to split in to two strings .

But I like the concept of 2 drivers here 1 for the quad in the middle and 1 for the outers
so you can have either on at any one time . so maybe a controlable driver for the centre
and a cheap dumb driver for the outers

#21 ·
deesta said:
Hey OBS,

If the maxflex isn't upto it, what would you recommend? HipFlex?? The electronics side of things is where I go wrong :madman: Still a newbie in that respect

Steve
i think your original plan of a hipflex would be the winner for a triple triple. Run it at 2A with the strings in parallel to give 666ma per LED. The vF would be sub 12V so you could comfortably run it off a 14.8 bat.

#22 ·
ocean breathes salty said:
i think your original plan of a hipflex would be the winner for a triple triple. Run it at 2A with the strings in parallel to give 666ma per LED. The vF would be sub 12V so you could comfortably run it off a 14.8 bat.
got to agree, this is the easiest, brightest, most flexible approach, steve can you hear us! ;)
and hey remember you `could` crank it up to mach 2.8a :thumbsup:

#24 ·
OK, I hear you all...looks like it'll be a hipFlex then :thumbsup:

Will need to have another look as I've modded my programs to take a max but shouldn't be a problem modding again for the hip.

Hakan: It does sound like a good idea but I reckon I'll get the triple triple working 1st. Then have a look at doing the quad centre/triple pods with 2 drivers....

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.