mtbr member
    Aug 2005

triple cree mr11 wiring problems??

hi all
    ive just had all the wiring coneected up on my cree kit and i connected power to it and..... nothing???

ive got 12 aa batteries wired in series giving me 14.4 volts(was giving 15.6 on a multimeter)

ive got power at the end of the wire from the battery.

when its plugged into the socket on the back of the light(lumicycle can) im getting nothing at the back of the socket??

ive tried by passing the socket and still nothing is working.

even tried power direct to the led board and i get nothing??

any ideas??

can someone show me how they have wired there socket and switch please.

cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    this is what ive done.....

i made a battery pack using 12 aa batteries.
    for the wire from the battery pack to the plug socket on the back of the lamp unit i have used a lumicycle extension lead....with a red and a black wire inside.

i also have a one of these....
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

which is a Single-Hole-Fixing 2.5mm DC Socket

the lumi plug goes into this.

from this i have two wires going into the bflex board at in + and in -

i also have a toggle switch from maplin with 3 pins on the back , 2 of wich are connected to swa and swb not sure which way round??would that make a difference?

then i have the led board wired into led + and led -

when i check for power from the battery pack i have roughly15 volts.

when i plug it in to the socket and check the back of the socket i have nothing?

i try and bypass the psocket and apply power direct to the board i still have nothing

any ideas

mtbr member
    in my experience those power sockets are rubbish I have had 3 fail
    and the plug shakes loose to easily .
    Have you checked you have wired up the right pins on the socket .

check the socket for continuity front to back .

It does not matter which way round swa and swb are connected to the momentory switch.

also have you checked the polarity of the power socket . and power cord from battery.

mtbr member
    also is the toggle a momentory on switch .
    or an on off latching switch .

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i was trying to check the continuity of the socket and i was getting some rubbish reading which makes me think its that at fault!! i was getting power at the end of my lead no probs but when i plugged it in and checked for power at the back of the socket i had nothing??

this is my switch
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...H03D&DOY=13m12

is there any way of by passing the socket to see if the unit will light up??

cheers
    steve

mtbr member
    renton,
    Stop what you're doing and re-read the instructions on the bFlex driver. You can't wire the bFlex through a toggle switch. It needs a momentary switch to turn on, toggle through the levels, and turn off again.

My guess is that you'll find voltage at the Vin contacts on the bFlex board with your current situation, but you need the momentary switch to "tell" the bFlex to turn on.

Like I said, go to http://www.taskled.com/techbflex.html and download the instructions. Re-read them, and make sure you're wiring everything correctly. You shouldn't have any switch between the power source (battery) and the bFlex board.

Oh, and this is the type of switch you want: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...2492&doy=13m12

mtbr member
    can you post some photos close up of the bflex with wiring and switch and power socket with wiring attached

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i cant post any photos as ive left it at work tonite!!!

as for the switch it was the same one that was recommended on this post.....
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/foru...#reply_3320430

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    dnlwthrn the switch isnt between the power and the board , it is wired to the board on its own leads to swa and swb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by renton
    i cant post any photos as ive left it at work tonite!!!

as for the switch it was the same one that was recommended on this post.....
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/foru...#reply_3320430
    I did not read that whole thread, as it is really long. But the the toggle switch you posted a link to above will not work! You need a momentary pushbutton switch for the bFlex. As directed above, go back and re-read the bFlex directions carefully and make sure your wiring is correct. As a test, maybe you can get rid of the toggle switch and use the pushbutton switch that comes with the bFlex.

Mark

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ok im confused how come the switch will work for some people but not for me???

can anyone recommend where to get a switch from then please?

mtbr member
    If you have the bflex wired up correctly then as soon as you apply your 15 volts it should flash for 3 seconds then turn on .

check all connections are soldered correctly disconect the switch you can just touch the wires briefly for a temp momentory switch.

check the power polarity the bflex is reverse polarity protected and if it is wrong nothing will happen .

there are 3 pins on your socket check you have connected to the correct pins

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    cheers troutie!! i will try tomorrow.

anyideas on a switch

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    any ideas on the switch people??

mtbr member
    renton, I gave you a link in my last post. Its from the same supplier as the toggle you got. You need a "push to make" switch (called normally open here in the USA) that doesn't lock.

Definitely use Troutie's method to make sure its just the switch.

relax
    Quote Originally Posted by renton
    any ideas on the switch people??
    This is the switch I use and it works great!

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm pretty sure that I fried my Bflex when I connected the wrong type switch to my LEDs and then connected the battery. ( I was a newbie to soldering, and knew/know NOTHING about electronics)

I realized my mistake, and connected a compatible Momentary switch, but it was too late for the controller. Everything worked out OK when I hooked up a 1A buckpuck to the system. So you may consider the possibilty that the Bflex was damaged by the incorrect switch, and try out a non switched controller to make sure everything else is OK.

mtbr member
    If he hooked the switch up to the correct terminals, it won't fry the driver. All it will do is make the driver think that he's holding the button down. But the light won't turn on correctly. I think the first thing to do in this case is remove the switch, and then plug the battery in. If nothing happens with the switch removed, there may be a problem with the board. In that case, I'd suggest he e-mail George at TaskLED about the issue. He's been really good at answering all my questions.

mtbr member
    Not wanting to hijack the hijack the thread, but if I remove the switch from the board and don't mount another one I assume that the LEDs will light once I apply power to the board.

Is this scorrect?

Tim

I spelled Knievel wrong
    You guys should probably try posting your questions on TaskLED's forums. I'm sure you will get correct information from George and the other TaskLED users out there. TaskLED drivers are well designed and very reliable, but if they are used incorrectly they will fail. I strongly suggest reading the technical manuals for the drivers before you make any assumptions about what will or will not work. I would not recommend trying to operate any of the programmable drivers without a momentary switch, you won't be able to make your light work correctly without one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Not wanting to hijack the hijack the thread, but if I remove the switch from the board and don't mount another one I assume that the LEDs will light once I apply power to the board.

Is this scorrect?

Tim
    Tim,
    I think that if you don't attach a switch, it will go into the intial "program" mode, i.e. three flashes and then "on" under low power. However, I don't have a bFlex, so I can't confirm that. I'm planning on ordering one (as well as a Maxflex) soon, so I will have more info once I get the boards.

mtbr member
    Thanks dnlwthrn. I am having trouble getting the LEDs to light and wanted to exlcude the lack of a switch (at this point) as a potential problem.

Steveknivel: The Taskled forum is a good site, and I have some troubleshooting tips from there. It's just that this site seems to provide faster responses. Thanks for the pointer.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Just cut/snip the switch out but leave the wires that you soldered to he board attached. Plug the battery in and the light should start blinking, provided you have the (+) & (-) polarity correct. Then all you have to do is touch the two wires together momentarily to get the board to act the same way as if you had a momentary switch hook up. If that doesn't work, you probably spent $35 that you could have donated to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    just an update for everyone...

i took everything apart and rewired the board using different wire and hey presto..... light .

and the switch ive got works fine.

cheers for the input though!!!

steve