mtbr member
    Sep 2005

No good Trinewt Mounting Problems

When I mount the Trinewt to my singlespeeds handlebars I don't have any problems with the way it mounts. But now that I am forced to ride my geared bike due to frame failure the mount is a disaster.

Does anyone else have an issue with the lamp position interfering with your cables?

The old mount allowed the head lamp to sit above the cables and this mount forces me to move the cables around to get the light centered and pointing in the right direction. And even then I find that it is not in the ideal position.

This is a major flaw in the design from my point of view. I would not recommend this light to anyone unless they come out with a new design.
    I ride a singlespeed because it's harder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Or your cables are too long. The tri newt fits fine on all the bikes I have tried.

Ride Everything
    Pics?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    I agree that the Trinewt headlamp does sit a bit low on the handlebar but I have no problem with mounting/dismounting although I can see why you have some interference if you have longer cables like shishku mentioned. I guess you can say that this is a design flaw from Niterider but I really like the quick-release bungee strap that allows very quick mounting/dismounting.
    dirtmojo - toronto, canada.
    '06 scott genius rc10.
    '06 titus motolite.

mtbr member

I am having problems too

I just bought a trinewt and I am having mounting problems. I hope there is an engeering solution. Mine kinks my brake cable...I am a only finger braker and my brake levers are farther inside the handlebar....

This stinks...

mtbr member

a solution

Hey -

I fixed my problem. Buy the universal mount, remove the adapter on the face plate. Buy a longer metric bolt, dremel a bit of the plastic and it fits perfectly with minimal modification. I actuallty prefer this set-up...

I will ride tuesday night with it and will follow-up

Jamie

UFO Bike Commander
    Pictures would help me visualize what you dremeled...
    beam(dot)to/ufobike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Not digging these rubber mounts. I feel one wrong stretch or pull and this thing is gonna snap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Call/Email NR with your suggestions

Rubber mounts work really well IF designed well. I did not think I would like them at all but the Lupine rubber mount is really well designed. The rubber o-ring is also very thick and you cannot overstretch it. I think NiteRider will (or should) do some redesigning next year. They need to at least redesign the mount and pop in some brighter LEDs. They should also consider shaving some weight off that lighthead and protecting the battery connection more effectively.

For NR owners who have similar ideas or other ones, do email and call NR with your suggestions. Consistent feedback is the only way they will improve the Trinewt quickly. They sell enough lights to not be bothered with improvements as fast as they should. They sold more HID units than anyone else but they never really compared well with the best HID units in the market and it took them years to fix problems. I hope they don't do the same with their LEDs lights.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh
    Pictures would help me visualize what you dremeled...
    Yes, I'm also interested in what "universal mount" you used and how you attached the lamp to it.
    pete

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Rubber mounts work really well IF designed well. I did not think I would like them at all but the Lupine rubber mount is really well designed. The rubber o-ring is also very thick and you cannot overstretch it. I think NiteRider will (or should) do some redesigning next year. They need to at least redesign the mount and pop in some brighter LEDs. They should also consider shaving some weight off that lighthead and protecting the battery connection more effectively.

For NR owners who have similar ideas or other ones, do email and call NR with your suggestions. Consistent feedback is the only way they will improve the Trinewt quickly. They sell enough lights to not be bothered with improvements as fast as they should. They sold more HID units than anyone else but they never really compared well with the best HID units in the market and it took them years to fix problems. I hope they don't do the same with their LEDs lights.
    True enough. I think Im gonna hit them up for a spare mount, just in case one snaps, I have it in my toolkit

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I really like the quick-release bungee strap that allows very quick mounting/dismounting.
    +1. It's great to be able to pop the light on and off the handlebars quickly and easily, I like the rubber mount. And the light hasn't shifted at all during rides, even on rough trails.

UFO Bike Commander
    I never had a problem getting my NR Evo. or any of my older lights off of the Universal Mount. I also never worried about a rubberband (oversimplification, I know) breaking and causing my light to fall off.
    beam(dot)to/ufobike

mtbr member

Concept is fine, but they overlooked some aspects

The concept works great, but it infers with my brake cables for correct tilt. It basically kinks the brake cable. I have tried it in both orientations. It would work great on my singlespeed, but not FS bike.

I do not mind the rubberband concept - it just does not work for my primary nightriding mountain bike.

I am in the midst of move, so I will take pictures soon of my modification.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Further TRINEWT Mount Issues

I have come to the conclusion that this rubber mount does not work. I am using oversized bars and the light will not stay where I point it. It is as tight as can be and then as soon as I hit a bump (small) it shifts down. I know I can't be the only one with this issue. I am about sick of the problems that I am having with this damn thing. The old mount was awesome and easy to use.
    I ride a singlespeed because it's harder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The problem with using a rubber mount is that you either have to use two or use one really beefy and snug one (like Lupine does). I have rattled through rockgardens and not had the helmet or bar light move. However, I can rotate the lighthead easily by hand. NR shoudl design a better rubber mount or use a cabeza-style one like L&M or something like Jet Lites does.

However, the problem with some of these companies is that their success makes them cocky and unable to admit flaws (perfect example- Shimano). It take a barrage of customer complaints to make things change so start the emails and phone calls