mtbr member

trailrat 2.0 bulbs

I'm currently running a dinotte 200L on my helmet and a niterider trailrat 2.0 on my bars. The set up works well. Last week I was removing the trailrat from the bars in preparation for a daylight ride, and I dropped the light. The lamp died. I phoned a LBS and was told $44 for a replacement lamp. This price seems, well, like I should be in the light bulb business .

I see Jenson has them for around $18, but I also see little MR11 bulbs everywhere on the net. I tried a cheap Hirori MR11 with the G4 base and a flat lens in front of it. It seems OK, but I notice the original bulb had some sort of heat shield on it. I removed it from the dead lamp and am just wondering if I should fasten it to the new one, or if it's really needed? If it is, what type of glue should I use? Anybody know?

mtbr member
    Post pics?

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member

bulb pics showing heatshield

Pics? OK...

The lamp on the right is the newer inexpensive one, whereas the one on the left is the mangled niterider one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like Monkeys
    It should be fine, almost every other light uses MR-11's. It looks like the shield would fit over the new mr11.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

banned
    Jan 2008
    abi sende meta mevcut mu ?

mtbr member
    I don't mean to sound rude but...huh?

mtbr member

glue?

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    It should be fine, almost every other light uses MR-11's. It looks like the shield would fit over the new mr11.
    What type of glue is best for this? It looks like they used silicone or something to hold it on. It's not epoxy, more like bathroom sealer. I just don't want to have my light catch fire. It does get pretty hot with the new bulb in, but I never noticed how warm it got before.

mtbr member
    Silicone Sealant, like you would use on an aquarium. Ive used it to mount 20W MR11s.
    Just a few spots of it so you can pry it off for next time.

mtbr member

glue

Perfect.

Before I race out and buy some Aquarium silicone, anybody know if the shield is strictly necessary?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stderr
    Perfect.

Before I race out and buy some Aquarium silicone, anybody know if the shield is strictly necessary?
    If it fits...use it. The heat will be directed forward and keep the case cooler.

I bought a few MR11's from Batteryspace. They were $1 or $2 each.
    My buddy tried one in his Trail rat and it worked fine.

mtbr member
    Hmm, just tried out my new light, and I think the flood is too wide. It's a 30 degree spread. Lots of spill, but I wouldn't try to ride with this without a head mounted spot. If buying from Batteryspace, would you suggest the 10, 12 or 24 degree version?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I'm currently running a dinotte 200L on my helmet and a niterider trailrat 2.0 on my bars. The set up works well. Last week I was removing the trailrat from the bars in preparation for a daylight ride, and I dropped the light. The lamp died. I phoned a LBS and was told $44 for a replacement lamp. This price seems, well, like I should be in the light bulb business .

I see Jenson has them for around $18, but I also see little MR11 bulbs everywhere on the net. I tried a cheap Hirori MR11 with the G4 base and a flat lens in front of it. It seems OK, but I notice the original bulb had some sort of heat shield on it. I removed it from the dead lamp and am just wondering if I should fasten it to the new one, or if it's really needed? If it is, what type of glue should I use? Anybody know?
    I think you can use aluminum tape to cover the back of the lamp if you are worried about heat build up. My understanding is that a lot of mr11 and mr16 lamps are designed to let the heat out of the back, that's why the reflectors are slightly translucent. Using the tape puts the heat back out the front. At least that's what I have read here. I'm about to try it myself.

mtbr member
    I've used the aluminum tape trick with L&M and NR headlights. It works great and you don't have to worry about prying that little heat sheald off of your old bulb. I have noticed that the standard mr11 bulbs that you can pick up online are not the same quality as the L&M or NR bulbs. But at one tenth of the price, I can live with a slightly lower quality bulb.

I ended up trying several bulbs before I found one that I was happy with. Generic 10 deg "spot" bulbs seemed to produce a much wider beam pattern than the standard NR lamp. Just experiment with them untill you find one you like. If you find a good source for mr11 lamps, post it.

mtbr member
    Hmm, just tried out my new light, and I think the flood is too wide. It's a 30 degree spread. Lots of spill, but I wouldn't try to ride with this without a head mounted spot. If buying from Batteryspace, would you suggest the 10, 12 or 24 degree version?
    I am using a 12 degree on my bars. It has a good spread. I have the 24 degree version also, but the Intensity of light is not as strong as the 12 degree. It gets lost in the spread.
    I would buy both and try them for your self to see which one suits you best.
    I checked the site and it seems the price went up since I bought them. You might be better off at the home center but you will most likely not get a 12 degree. Probably a 30

mtbr member

...and the winner is...

Tried a few different low-budget mr11-6v/10w bulbs.

30 degrees: Great, if you're walking in the moonlight. Don't bother.

12 degrees. Much better. Works fairly well as long as you have a secondary spot on the helmet. There's no "spot", the light seems like it's just everywhere. Seems a little too wide as it's lighting up a lot of the bush around the trail. Hence the need for a secondary spot.

10 degrees: You wouldn't think 2 degrees would make that big of a difference, but this is perfect. Good spill, wide-ish spot on the trail, very similar to the original bulb. Generic, from Battery space, $2.99/bulb. Rode this tonight for over an hour on single-track, even got airborne a few times. I can ride much faster with this light. At $44/ea up here for the branded product, 5 bulbs w. shipping is half the price of one NR bulb.