mtbr member
    Oct 2005

trail tech MR11....flood or spot?

well after doing a search on trail tech lights i still couldn't find the info i wanted.
    i think i've settled on getting a trail tech light(MR11 with Li-Ion battery) but don't know if i should get a spot or a flood.

i'll be riding north shore trails(slower tech type) and will be running just one light on the helmet, although a second light might be added at a later date.....so anybody have any thoughts on which i should go with.

thanks for any replies.

mtbr member
    Spot for the head and flood for the bars. How tight of a spot is the light???
    If its in the 10 to 15 Deg range it should be good.

Do It Yourself
    The medium flood is perfect for slower speed technical riding. It gives a nice sphere of light with good peripherals. The spot is better for high speed fireroad type stuff where you might outrun the flood.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    the web site says the Spot is 6 and the Flood is13

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by samdemo
    well after doing a search on trail tech lights i still couldn't find the info i wanted.
    i think i've settled on getting a trail tech light(MR11 with Li-Ion battery) but don't know if i should get a spot or a flood.

i'll be riding north shore trails(slower tech type) and will be running just one light on the helmet, although a second light might be added at a later date.....so anybody have any thoughts on which i should go with.

thanks for any replies.
    I have the flood version and use it on the bars. I find it so bright for slow riding and technical sections that you don't need any other light... The flood is more versatile than the spot and puts out plenty of light for either the bar or helmet...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

Singletrack Daydreamer
    I've had the trail techs and used a flood on the bars, spot on the helmet and accidently mixed them up and really couldn't tell the difference. Both provide good spill. Personally, I'd want to go with some form of light on the bar to aid in contrast and depth perception. Even if you can only pick up a 10w halogen as a second light, you'll benefit immensly from being able to see just how big that rock is that you're about to go over. You'll really be grateful when you accidently unplug your light or the battery suddenly goes dead (HIDs don't dim, they just go out without warning). A single light on the helmet often creates a very flat light, while a single light on the bar makes pebbles look like boulders.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    "where you might outrun the flood".
    I understand what you are saying...but light travels at 186,000 miles/second
    Sorry, I couldn't resist

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdawg
    I understand what you are saying...but light travels at 186,000 miles/second
    Sorry, I couldn't resist
    Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science? HA HA HA! You're right, I'm not that fast but maybe with training... I guess a more accurate statement might be, the illuminated distance becomes less than your reaction time or something like that.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am Arthur, king of the Britons...

Back on topic: I would go with the flood, avoid tunnel vision!

Woodlot local
    Go with a flood.

I have the exact light you are thinking of getting....TrailTech HID

They offer a very good bang for the buck.

lidless ascender
    I have a spot and I've used it as a single (helmet) light, too.It has enough spread as far as I'm concerned, but the flood option will probably still be better as a single light (if it has noticeably more spread) while still maintaining enough throw.Even if it only had a good halfof the throw the spot has it's still good enough for most riding.

Marko
    Last edited by problematiks; 12-03-2007 at 07:07 AM.
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    after looking at the site, im curious how your gonna get an MR11 mounted on your helmet, but my $.02 is go with the flood as well. ive got the hid flood on my helmet and other than the afore mentioned flatness of the light, it works great

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have the spot and I use it on my helmet and on the bars. I don't have any problems and don't need any other light.

Loser
    I have the spot Trailtech and run it on my helmet - it works great. I've only used it once, but its a vast improvement over the halogens I used before.

The one thing to consider with the Trailtech is the helmet "mount" they send you is made to be used on a smooth helmet, not one with vents. I put together a mount and it works great, but just be aware that you'll have to figure that out. I know some people that have been able to get away with the supplied mount (double stick tape) - it depends on your helmet.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I also had the same problem but I put the bracket on my skateboard helmet which works fine. They use to send dual-lock which can be modified to fit a bike helmet with vents. They don't send the dual-lock anymore, but I gave them a call and they sent me some for free. The stuff is very hard to find, and expensive. Looks like Jisch figured out a good way as well. I have heard of lots of people doing similar set ups.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I bought the HID earlier this fall and got if from batteryspace.com instead of directly from trailtech as batteryspace puts a velcro strap on the helmet mount already when they send it to ya and its the same price. I think their battery might have been a bit larger too, but not positive, all for the same price.

mtbr member
    Hobo you should just stick to riding skateboards, your slow dude