banned
    Apr 2006

Topeak Moonshine HID Battery or Controller Fault?

I just purchased a Moonshine HID. It is brand new. I have cycled the battery 5 times but I'm getting runtime like 10mins max before the light shut down with the low battery indicator blinking.

I tested the battery with a voltmeter fully charged and after the light shutdown. Both time read in excess of 15V.

I don't have another set of Moonshine to test with, neither can I locate another one in my country. How to I tell if it is the battery or controller?

Thank all in advance!

Spanish biker
    Hi, surement, the battery are failing, the NiMh batteries are formed with a set of 1,2v batteries and sure that some piece don't work. If your battery are in warranty, go to shop to change it.

Greetings - Saludos
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member

might be the charger

Its possible it could be the charger. I had a niterider with a similar problem. The charger would indicate it was charging it correctly but in fact it would hardly put a charge on the battery-the battery was dead in a minute or two. If there was anyway you could try another charger that would at least elimate that. I have seen previous posts where people have had good experience in the US with Topeak either fixing or replacing problems with the HID's .

Do It Yourself
    Scroll down. There was someone else with the new Topeak HID and it was also defective. I would say return/exchange it if you can.
    Long Live Long Rides

banned
    Apr 2006
    I have send it back for repair. I don't think I'm gonna get a replacement even thought I just gotten it..at least that what my dealer say..which kind of suck.

I got bored and start messing around with it. Seem like multiply fault. Charger is fine. Battery is dead, used it to power another light and its too dead in 10mins. I power the light thru a 15v DC power supply, on electric power but still after 2 mins, the low batt light start flashing and the light shut off.

Measure voltage output of ballast, it was putting out as low as 5v at times...

Well, I got myself a L&M now..no problem, work fine, bright as hell and no more headache and heartache.