mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Topeak Moonshine 3H too good to be true?

I've been looking a many bike lights for a while and the Topeak Moonshine 3H http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=LT1703seems to be about the best bang for the buck I've found so far.

They have it for $157 at Alfred E bikes, which is about the price I can get the others I've looked at:

Light & motion Solo Logic MV,
    Niterider Minewt
    DiNotte Ultralight 5W
    Turbocat S15
    Cygolite Dualcross

They all have their ups and downs, but the 3H seems to have the best package with the lithium ion battery, 20 watt light, smart charger, helmet and handle bar mount, and the other stuff I don't want to type out.

I want to order it today, but I'm worried about the spotty reviews. If I get a good one, I think it will be a great light. Does anybody have any experiences with this light, good or bad?

or

Which light would you choose for tight single track about 10mph for 2-3 hours? The light & motion & Dinotte website both say the lights I'm looking at are for road use. Will they hold up to the rigors of single track?

I'm open to suggestions, but I promised my wife I wouldn't go over $175 total.
    I dare you to make less sense.

Do It Yourself
    I don't have any 1st hand experience with the Moonshine. It does look good on paper but I would say that burntime is suspect. I think they are using a 4 cell Li-Ion pack (same as the HID) which would only be 2400mAh at the most. That would give a run time of about an hour at 20W. Maybe if you switch it down to the low setting a lot, it might get the 2-3 hours as advertised. I could be wrong about the battery size. But then there is the mounting switch issue as well. I don't think I would gamble with this one.

I was able to check out a couple new lights this weekend at a local 6 hour race (starting at 3pm ). There was a guy that had the Double Shot helmet and the DualCross bar. It was nice to compare them side by side. I thought the DoubleShot was too tight of a beam pattern for my taste but the DualCross was impressive. Both were nice white and bright though. I have a preference for helmet lights and don't think I would use the Dual Cross on the helmet (too bulky). It's about the size of two Nite Rider halogen lights. And Cygolite helmet mount is crap anyway.

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts. Sorry no firm recommendations though. Maybe throw in some extra cash with the "bike equity" fund to finance the difference and get what you really want. Don't tell me you're married and don't have a bike equity fund...
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    O f the lights that you have listed, the L&M is the best, imo. IT's a very high quality system with a well made reflector that really takes advantage of all the output possible form the 13W bulb.

THe Solo is available for $104 from Nashbar. It'll burn for 2 hours. Buy a cheap LED light for the climbs and turn on the Solo for the downhills... You'll be set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I don't have any bike equity left. I spent it all on wheels, tires, a handlebar, seatpost, pedals, and other little tidbits.

I was looking at the L&M solo. Is the only difference between it and the Solo logic the variable voltage & ability for it to run lithium ion? Their website says the solo has 300 lumens and the logic has 380 lumens. Is this right and will I see a difference?

I have two cheap led lights, a Princeton tec EOS and a cateye EL500. I used them together earlier this year on night rides and constantly out-ran the lights, resulting in two endo's. I'm hesitant about using just them, but I suppose one would be okay on a slow uphill grind.

Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Ordered my light

I went ahead and ordered a L&M Solo Logic MV from Cambria bike. It was $152 and with the 10% off their lights, was $136.80. That was the cheapest I could find it. I hope it works as well as everyone says.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggard
    I went ahead and ordered a L&M Solo Logic MV from Cambria bike. It was $152 and with the 10% off their lights, was $136.80. That was the cheapest I could find it. I hope it works as well as everyone says.
    It's okay for the money and certainly better than what you had before. Have fun with it.
    Long Live Long Rides