Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Topeak HID Enduro (07) light issue

906 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  ToddN 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else with the 07 Topeak HID lights has had an issue with them turning off while riding with a full battery.

Two of us experienced this issue during a local 24 hour race, unplugging and plugging the light back in worked most of the time but one of us had to do most of the lap in the dark after trying this three times and giving up when it would work for a max of 30 seconds. :madman:

Kinda made for sucky night laps.

CJ

#7 ·
From my experience with HID bulbs they shut off like that a lot. Wellch Allyn has had a lot of quality control problems over the last few years. It could be a problem with the ballast, but that would usally result in the light never firing, but this one sounds like very many other HID bulbs, where they randomly won't ignite or shut off. Send it back for warranty repair. Don't mean to get into a pissing match with you guys, just really sick of Wellch Allyn bulbs!

#8 ·
Todd@gretnabikes said:
Well to me it sounds like the same problem that all HID's have, and the source to that is Welch Allyn bulbs.
I'm not going to try to diagnose the op's faulty light over the internet but the intermittent nature of the described problem would lead one to reasonably conclude it's likely some faulty electronics, loose solder joints or wiring. There are thousands (?) of HID lights sold with the same bulbs that are working fine. So whatever is up with that light, it's an isolated incident and not a systemic problem with the all HID bulbs. While I agree the HIDs are a lot more fragile than LEDs, don't be surprised if not everyone jumps up at once to pay a dollar per lumen to replace with the latest and greatest wonder light.

#9 ·
Homebrew said:
I'm not going to try to diagnose the op's faulty light over the internet but the intermittent nature of the described problem would lead one to reasonably conclude it's likely some faulty electronics, loose solder joints or wiring. There are thousands (?) of HID lights sold with the same bulbs that are working fine. So whatever is up with that light, it's an isolated incident and not a systemic problem with the all HID bulbs. While I agree the HIDs are a lot more fragile than LEDs, don't be surprised if not everyone jumps up at once to pay a dollar per lumen to replace with the latest and greatest wonder light.
Out of those thousands of HID bulbs sold, hundreds come back for warranty repair. Usally the problem is the bulb. Whenever an Edison has a problem, 9 times out of 10 it's an issue with the bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.