mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Tools To Cut Heaksink block

I have a square aluminium heaksink which I remove from my cpu cooler. I would like to use it as heaksink for my LED light project. Problem is, I have a round casing. What would be the proper tools to cut it into the shape and size I wanted! Thank you all!

mtbr member
    Dremel tool, or metal snips. Metal snips would be a little harder, but cheaper if you don't have either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can I just check you're not cutting it down to fit inside your housing?

relax
    Quote Originally Posted by rottweiler
    I have a square aluminium heaksink which I remove from my cpu cooler. I would like to use it as heaksink for my LED light project. Problem is, I have a round casing. What would be the proper tools to cut it into the shape and size I wanted! Thank you all!
    Hole saw on the drill press, works well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I bought myself a dremel but I am still trying to figure out how to use it lol.

Yes, I'm trying to grind it down slightly to fit into the housing. It was a square heat sink, I used a coping saw to cut it to the shape I wanted but it is slightly too big and too "gagged" to offer proper heat transfer to the case.

I have tried metal snip, won't work (heatsink is 3mm thick). Blunted the blade.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Not a cheap option, but a great tool to have around, a bench sander.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A fairly cheap option is a vise and file. It may take longer, but you will have excellent size control for a good fit. Your best bet really is to learn to use that dremel, with eye protection!