Young, Shawn Young

time to store the light....

Its cooling off here in vegas so I will be putting the light away until the dog days of summer are here again. How should I store the battery until I use again? It will probably be at least a few months. Cool room? Charged or not? Thanks for any input

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    Its cooling off here in vegas so I will be putting the light away until the dog days of summer are here again. How should I store the battery until I use again? It will probably be at least a few months. Cool room? Charged or not? Thanks for any input

Shawn
    Depends on the type of battery.

I'm no expert, but here's an excellent article on battery care courtesy of Gretna Bikes.

http://gretnabikes.com/Battery_Care.asp

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    Its cooling off here in vegas so I will be putting the light away until the dog days of summer are here again.
    I thought you could bike all year out there. That's it, I'm not moving out there when I retire!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cooling off in Vegas? Heck, I'm still riding here in Colorado

If you have Li-Ion batteries. run them to about 50% charge and store them in a cool basement. Careful with the fridge- you can end up getting condensation/water vapor in there. Just keep them in a cool place out of the sun's rays.

With Ni-MH, I'd guess you do the same thing but I'm not sure so do some checking online.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, it's cooling off here in the northeast too. Rode on Saturday with a temperature of 29 degrees and wind chill in the teens. . .

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrad9
    I thought you could bike all year out there. That's it, I'm not moving out there when I retire!
    Im just saying that all my riding is during the day in the winter Its not uncommon for the Cottonwood/Blue Diamond area to be below freezing in the winter months at night so day time riding is all good.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Best time to ride at night when it is freezing in the uk

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    If you have Li-Ion batteries. run them to about 50% charge and store them in a cool basement. Careful with the fridge- you can end up getting condensation/water vapour in there.
    You are 100% correct in the long term storage of lithium ion packs. I work in the business and have a great deal of insight into lithium ion batteries.

To maximize the retained capacity of a pack you should store it at 50% state of charge and store it in a cool atmosphere 21'C or a little cooler is best. Never let the pack drop too low in voltage. Rather than confuse people with too much information, just store the packs as Flyer recommended.

The very worse thing you can do to a pack is store it at elevated temperatures >30'C

Oh and disconnect the battery from the light. Some lights have circuitry in the switches that draws a tiny amount of current even when turned off. Over a long period of time this will completely drain the pack down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue
    Yeah, it's cooling off here in the northeast too. Rode on Saturday with a temperature of 29 degrees and wind chill in the teens. . .
    Cooling off here in the midwest too. Rode Saturday morning and it was 17F when I left the house. Not sure what the windchill is. It makes commuting interesting this time of year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    NiMH batteries exhibit significant self-discharge, so if you have one of those, store fully charged, and recharge every 2 to 3 months. If your battery pack is allowed to discharge completely, individual cells can reverse polarity. That will shorten the ultimate life of the battery pack.

Better yet, ride at night in the winter too. I bet the night-time winter sky is spectacular out there. 30's is nothing - I do it here all winter long.