Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Three xml LEDs one reflector

Is it a stupid idea .
    I was thinking. Take a say 50 mm spotty reflector
    And a lump of copper and make a heatsinking to solder three Xmas in a line as close as possible together And mod the reflector so you can fit it over the three
    What's the likely beam going to be like ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like this Spark SP6?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not in a line, but in a triangle.
    That will be a floodlight.
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    May 2005
    On my 2nd generation microlight I cut the sides of 2 Reginas and joined them together to make kind of an oval shape and use 2 LEDs. It works OK, but is pretty fussy getting the dimensions right. I think something similar might make a better beam than getting all the LEDs in 1 reflector.

mtbr member
    I was wondering the same thing myself the other day, except for a 20mm XPG setup.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    OK its experimental time

but will have to wait till darkness to see what its like .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There is still place for two more LEDs

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What about a larger led like mt-g2?

It would run cooler and give a smooth beam.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by toaster79 View Post
    there is still place for two more leds
    +1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster79 View Post
    There is still place for two more LEDs
    There is indeed and thanks for pointing that out and given me a bigger headache
    Now I want to put five in there but it is totally not needed

as I have used one of these reflectors before and with one XML its like a light cannon with a great throw but I did not expect the result from this trial just got to say it is awesome and has to be built into a bar light .

it certainly eclipses the Hex optic in a previous thread so that project is now a dead un .

on to the beam shots at 200 metres and it certainly fills in that dark centre which 99% of XML lights have at their maximum range .

and took it out to 300 metres and it still lit up the Troutmobile .just my eyes cant see that far too good

Zoomed in a tad from 300 metres

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Is that a Ledil reflector?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [jsl] View Post

Is that a Ledil reflector?
    Not sure who makes it but it is this one from Cutters

mtbr member
    Independent drivers for middle and outer would make quite a versatile light.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Independent drivers for middle and outer would make quite a versatile light.
    Yep agree there and also from the shine it on the wall test the 2 outer leds can go out as far as possible as that would ovalise the beam a bit more .

from this experiment I reckon it would be worth while taking a narrow 35 mm reflector and popping 2 xmls in there and if it works like this one then you will get an oval beam which would be nice for the road upright or flat for offroad.

or even a bit of experimenting for a dip and full beam in the same reflector for the road

mtbr member
    Bastids you knew I could not resist the bait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb View Post
    Bastids you knew I could not resist the bait.

To tell you the truth, I was being sarcastic when I saw you actually pulled it off with three emitters, but this is just crazy.

Again Chris, you're a genius!

mtbr member
    Cheers Toaster
    if this works when I get to try it tonight going to get started on a housing
    and just ordered some Copper bar and going to attempt to make a heat spreader and solder the bare leds to the copper with some micro soldering to wire them up .
    I think the middle led could suffer a bit might be a good call for the XML 2s if they make it to the shops soon . but I suspect impatience will get the better of me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb View Post
    Cheers Toaster
    if this works when I get to try it tonight going to get started on a housing
    and just ordered some Copper bar and going to attempt to make a heat spreader and solder the bare leds to the copper with some micro soldering to wire them up .
    I think the middle led could suffer a bit might be a good call for the XML 2s if they make it to the shops soon . but I suspect impatience will get the better of me.
    I'm sure it will work just great. The center LED will still give you the tight hot spot, like in the single application, but the additional two emitters will make beam shape round instead of oval giving you the monstrous amount of well focused light.

Was thinking the same thing you did about the heat. Emitters are so close together that everything will start cooking soon at higher currents. But I would still try 3A drive current, just to see how stupid bright is 50W in an 80mm reflector. Reflowing directly to copper might be the solution here, but I'm still skeptic about the heat concentration. On the other hand, there are 50W, 100W, 200W ... chips on the market, and don't get toasted when mounted on a decent heatsink. So I'm thinking a 100mm light head with wood burning beam is to come out of your shop sooner or later.

p.s.: When XM-L2 arrive, you could still reflow the emitters. Just make sure your copper heat spreader is screwed in the light head and not glued.
    Last edited by Toaster79; 12-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Cool! (Or, I suppose -- hot!)

Have you pointed it at the side of a barn or anything to get a proper idea of beam shape? I'm guessing it'd be oblong, but since everything is so close, I'm not sure...
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borrower View Post
    Cool! (Or, I suppose -- hot!)

Have you pointed it at the side of a barn or anything to get a proper idea of beam shape? I'm guessing it'd be oblong, but since everything is so close, I'm not sure...
    With the three leds its a slight oval and just got back in from a dog walk and photo shoot with the 5 leds very bright but not sure by how much more than the three pics soon

mtbr member
    Only done the full whack pic at 3 amps and not quite the same position as before

5 leds

3 leds

I think I prefer the triple and also 5 XMLs is an awkward number for driver options

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I just wish I had the solder skills to mount those LEDs on the board!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    I just wish I had the solder skills to mount those LEDs on the board!
    Only hacksaw and filing skills needed used XMLs on 10 mm square boards and cut them down with a junior hacksaw and file still had the soldertabs to solder to .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This is just sick

Awesome job!!!!

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Crap, I've had one of those reflectors for 7 months and never thought of doing that, although I certainly liked it's output with a single XML @ 3A.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast