mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Thoughts for Helmet: 2x XPG Regina OR 1x XML Regina?

Several people have posted beamshots of XML+Regina already and I'm looking for thoughts on either setup. Please keep the discussion within the parameters mentioned.

• I have limited tooling available. Hacksaw, dremel, files, soldering equipment, and an array of taps is about all. I may be able to do very light work on a lathe.

• Either option will be run using Magicshine equivalent battery @ 7.4v.

• Either option will be run using DX 7135 boards.

• I have 1" round stock and 1" square tubing. I'm not planning to buy any more stock.

SO, given that info, which would you rather do for a helmet light?
    The tried and true 2x XPG+regina @1400ma using 1" square tube
    -OR-
    1x XML+modded regina @ 2800ma using 1" round stock.

My thoughts are leaning toward the single XML due to simplicity and size. I'll give up some efficiency with the battery selection, but I'm not concerned about this so much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Built both. Go with the XML Regina.
    Just prefer the XML. Seems to put out more light where I need and want it.
    Now I am only running the XPG's at 1200mA and the XML at 2500mA, but I don't think the small increase in current would change up things much in that comparison.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I don't think 7.4v is enough for 2 XPGs unless you have a power power driver.that takes less then 1v.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Two XP-G in series will work with a 7135 1400ma driver and a 2 li-ion in series 7.4 volt battery. You have to connect it with the supply for the 7135's coming from the junction between the two LEDs. A 7135 can't take the voltage of two li-ion cells in series. It has a 6 volt max I think.

A single XM-L will need a single series battery connection at 3.7 volts to work with a 7135 driver board.

mtbr member
    Without meaning to highjack, how about 3 XP-Es on a quazzle L333 board in square tubing?
    With the optic Quazzle sells, it throws a tighter beam than XPG/Regina, which is great for a helmet mount, and runs perfectly on 7.4v. The build is smaller with the integrated driver too.

Try using Mattthemuppet's Sled design in square tubing for a simple build with the tools you have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    Without meaning to highjack, how about 3 XP-Es on a quazzle L333 board in square tubing?
    With the optic Quazzle sells, it throws a tighter beam than XPG/Regina, which is great for a helmet mount, and runs perfectly on 7.4v. The build is smaller with the integrated driver too.

Try using Mattthemuppet's Sled design in square tubing for a simple build with the tools you have.
    thanks for the heads up Ofroad'bent

The Quazzle board is one option as the L333 should be in stock now and Quazzle's getting some of the new XP-Es in soon which should put out similar light output to the XP-Gs (~1000lm). Only downside is cost - board+optics+postage(?) will be over $60 easy.

However, if you're after simple and saving a few pennies I'd try a simple sled housing with a single XM-L + Regina + 8x7135 board. Should be nice and light, though you'd need to take some care keeping the LED and, possibly more importantly given their reliability, the driver cool.

mtbr member
    The trouple i find for helmet lights is finding a small driver to fit the housing..and for the XML it would need to output 3amps max
    A quick qoogle pulled up this driver from DX that is meant to be able to output 3amps
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7882

Anybody used one with success?

edit: just noticed that driver is powered by 1AA battery!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    The trouple i find for helmet lights is finding a small driver to fit the housing..and for the XML it would need to output 3amps max
    A quick qoogle pulled up this driver from DX that is meant to be able to output 3amps

so so reviews (like most cheap DX drivers I guess) and one reviewer said that it would only take up to 5V, so definitely a 1S pack driver, which wouldn't suit the OP.

there's this one, though it only seems to go up to 2.3A and is single mode, or this one, though again there are some doubts about output plus it gets hot and may be too large. You could try this for giggles as well. I think there was another thread where someone linked a bunch of drivers from KD too, though I can't remember exactly which one

Dirt Deviant
    I just placed a DX order, and will be having a go with some XML and this.....
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.50025
    that matt posted above.
    It's worth a shot.
    Also picked up some 8x7135 boards and this one matt posted as well.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20330
    I'll llet you know how it works out.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you have the extra $20 then buy both. Screw them down to a piece of alum to make a quick test jig and find out which one you like. If you don't plan on making another light then sell the pieces you don't need. In the end you'll get what you want and only spend a few extra dollars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger

That's the cool thing about the L333 IMHO- built-in driver leads to a tiny build, with plenty of output. I wonder if Quazzle will make an XM-L version?

I know that Quazzle has some issues to sort out with the XPE-R5, as they don't throw as well as the smaller ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    That's the cool thing about the L333 IMHO- built-in driver leads to a tiny build, with plenty of output. I wonder if Quazzle will make an XM-L version?

I know that Quazzle has some issues to sort out with the XPE-R5, as they don't throw as well as the smaller ones.
    he was arguing about XM-Ls and driver efficiencies with Georges80 in the "XM-L, let's discuss" thread and was hinting at a single XM-L board. I can't see any more than that in the 20mm form factor - heat dissipation from the driver alone, let alone the LEDs, would preclude it.

A single XM-L+driver board would be pretty neat though.

Didn't know about the problems with the XPE-R5, that's a shame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    he was arguing about XM-Ls and driver efficiencies with Georges80 in the "XM-L, let's discuss" thread and was hinting at a single XM-L board. I can't see any more than that in the 20mm form factor - heat dissipation from the driver alone, let alone the LEDs, would preclude it.

A single XM-L+driver board would be pretty neat though.

Didn't know about the problems with the XPE-R5, that's a shame
    As I understand it, the R5 is brighter because it's bigger (more emitter area). Same reason it's harder to focus. Ideally the source would be a pinpoint, rather than a larger square.

I agree a single XM-L on a driver board would be plenty, especially if they can get the Regina or similar reflector optimized for it.

mtbr member
    actually BK, check out the LFlex that Georges80 just posted about - I'd get that in a heart beat over any DX/KD driver, even at 2-4x the price.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    actually BK, check out the LFlex that Georges80 just posted about - I'd get that in a heart beat over any DX/KD driver, even at 2-4x the price.
    I've been watching these threads with interest, planning to make a single XML helmet light. I think George just finalized my parts list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk
    I've been watching these threads with interest, planning to make a single XML helmet light. I think George just finalized my parts list.
    cool! If you haven't already seen it, one of the lights I made used a "sled" design (I hate pumping myself, but it is quite a neat idea). Simply a U-shaped piece of alloy cut from 1in.sq. stock, with the LED on one end, driver in the middle and switch/lead on the other end - slide into a piece of 1in.sq. stock, hold in place with a screw and you're done! Mine was a double-U sled, to fit the bflex in between, but this will avoid that problem completely