View Poll Results: Interested in purchasing a Fraen narrow reflector for SSC P7 led?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Sign me up (indicate how many you would like as a reply)

1 20.00%
  • No thanks.

4 80.00%
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Thinking of distributing Fraen reflector for SSC P7 led

I'm thinking about placing an order with Arrow for their 100 quantity minimum order on the Fraen FRC-N1-A3P7-0R narrow reflector for the SSC P7 led and selling them (basically becoming a distributor of these). Here is the link to the datasheet for this reflector:

http://www.fraensrl.com/images/Fraen-FRC-A3P7-datasheet

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in purchasing any of these and if so, how many would you be in for? Would probably ask $5 each and maybe a couple bucks for shipping in a bubble envelope (US only)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    P7 are old technology.
    Better find a nice reflector for XM-L
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zemike View Post
    P7 are old technology.
    Better find a nice reflector for XM-L
    Unfortunately, Fraen does not make a reflector specifically for the XML. I am prototyping a Fraen MCE reflector with the XML currently but I've been told the reflector optics are specific to the led by design so I am not sure how it will turn out. I was looking at the P7 since it stands taller than the MCE and the XML inside the reflector. I have an idea in mind to make a led (mounted on a 20mm star mcpcb), a Marwi (new style) insert/heat sink, reflector, and driver all 1 unit that slides into the Marwi housing (like the old MR11 bulb would) and then the lens and cap would keep everything in place (the Fraen reflector has a lip on the top edge that sits on the housing opening). You would then simply need to connect the pos and neg wires from the switch to the driver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mntn-biker View Post
    Unfortunately, Fraen does not make a reflector specifically for the XML. I am prototyping a Fraen MCE reflector with the XML currently but I've been told the reflector optics are specific to the led by design so I am not sure how it will turn out. I was looking at the P7 since it stands taller than the MCE and the XML inside the reflector. I have an idea in mind to make a led (mounted on a 20mm star mcpcb), a Marwi (new style) insert/heat sink, reflector, and driver all 1 unit that slides into the Marwi housing (like the old MR11 bulb would) and then the lens and cap would keep everything in place (the Fraen reflector has a lip on the top edge that sits on the housing opening). You would then simply need to connect the pos and neg wires from the switch to the driver.
    Marwi is also oldschool technology. there just isn't enough surface area to cool any of the new LEDs unless you're running them at low power. with the introduction of the easy2led housing, the Marwi bodies all but lost their main appeal- low cost.

I like your thinking, and always encourage these kinds of forward movements, but it looks like you need to do some more research before investing a good sum of money into the ever-changing LED market.
    I WANT TO BUY YOUR MAGICSHINE LIGHTS! Working or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BKruahnndon View Post
    Marwi is also oldschool technology. there just isn't enough surface area to cool any of the new LEDs unless you're running them at low power. with the introduction of the easy2led housing, the Marwi bodies all but lost their main appeal- low cost.

I like your thinking, and always encourage these kinds of forward movements, but it looks like you need to do some more research before investing a good sum of money into the ever-changing LED market.
    Thank you for the valuable input and insight and putting this into perspective. What started out as trying to upgrade my old school Marwi lights, when one of the bulbs burned out recently, has almost turned into an led upgrade obsession. Perhaps there are not enough of the old Marwi users out there that need to upgrade so I think I will simply upgrade my lights and play around with different reflectors and led's for my lights. I just thought that there might be other uses for the P7 reflectors out there for DIY housings that would benefit from the small form factor of these low height reflectors. Maybe I can get Fraen to send me a couple free P7 reflector "samples" so I don't need to order 100 of them....

mtbr member
    I think that would probably be the best idea Otherwise you'll be buying a lot of reflectors for an LED that DIYers don't really use anymore in a form factor (35mm I think?) that most DIYers don't use to solve a problem that you should be able to avoid using an XM-L plus one of the various 30-35mm reflectors/ optics that others have used!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mntn-biker View Post
    I am prototyping a Fraen MCE reflector with the XML currently but I've been told the reflector optics are specific to the led by design so I am not sure how it will turn out.
    It will be pretty nice IMO based on beamshots in this thread.

XML XPG MCE Regina/Fraen FRC Narrow Beam Shots

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cutter sells individual Fraen reflectors for the MC-E. Would these maybe modify to fit the P7?

Savvas