mtbr member
    Apr 2011

thinking of building a light from spare parts

Im new here and I want to get back to riding at night so I have a few deal extreme flashlights that are kinda flickering and not working half the time. I have one SSC P7 that gets too hot, and 2 Cree Q5's. Im thinking of using a copper CPU cooler for either just the P7 or all 3 emmitters. My question is, can I just unsolder the emmitter off and use the driver in the P7 light to power all 3? or will I need another driver?

If I do need a driver can the existing P7 driver still be used to power the P7 alone but with 2 18650 Li-on Batteries?

here is my light: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...-1-18650-19113

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not sure of the driver on the flash light.
    The battery is a 3.7 volt, so running two of those batteries parallel to each other should work fine. Gives longer run times, but there is still that heat issue.
    I would guess that the driver from the P7 would not run all three Leds very well.
    Technically you could wire all three in parallel and each emitter shoulc see 600 mA.
    Not sure why anyone would do it, but it is possible.
    As far as the flickering... If you take a wire brush to the threads of the end caps and get things really clean that may fix the flickering problem. It's a common problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    could he run the P7 with the parallel Q5's wired in series to the P7? did that make sense?

P7
    /\
    Q5 Q5

obviously it increases the forward voltage to somewhere around 7-7.5v.....is this doable?
    I WANT TO BUY YOUR MAGICSHINE LIGHTS! Working or not.