mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Is there a successor to TR-801 (or is one needed?)

I've been using a TR-801 (edit: DealExtreme flashlight: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095) torch on my helmet for urban riding/commuting. Works great, and for the most part it's a good balance between having enough light and not being so bright that I annoy other riders/drivers if I accidentally point it somewhere I shouldn't.

That said, I wouldn't mind a *little* more light and a little more efficiency and all that other stuff that I think should be reasonable after about 2 years of LED evolution. The bigger lights are getting crazy bright, but the thing I like about the 801 is that it is small enough and lightweight enough that I can strap it on my helmet and leave it there all day, every day.

So, what are the candidates for the new price-to-weight-to-runtime champ? (and bonus points if it's something that will use my existing 18650 batteries). Or do we just keep working the TR-801 and be happy about it?

Cheers!
    Last edited by dogstar; 05-19-2010 at 11:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Sorry but do you have more detail on the TR-801 as I have never heard of it so have no Idea of what size battery pack it uses.

mtbr member
    They are Cree XR-E Q5 torches from dealextreme. There are several variations, usually with more or fewer modes, and all run on 18650 batteries. here is noe example:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095

Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You can try swapping in an XRE R2 bin for slightly better efficiency and brightness.

You can also try swapping in an XPG R5 for even higher efficiency and brightness, but because it's a different package and optics (XPG), the beam will be different.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not got any of them, take a look at the Ultrafire A10B or SacredFire (daft name) NF 016. Going a bit larger again, perhaps the (equally daft) Uniquefire L2 XPG R5.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks folks -- sorry for not specifying this was a DealExtreme TrustFire torch. Sounds like there's no obvious "winner" in the cheap-a$$, all-in-one, small-torch sweepstakes. I'll maybe give one of the others a shot and report back if I find any winners.