Thread: Thank you!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Thank you!!

Just wanted to give a big THANKS to everyone for all the info here. I just finished my first build and I'm very excited with how it turned out. It's an Amoeba clone so nothing new. A triple XML neutral tint with. B3Flex. Again thank you all for all the great info!! I am hooked and already dreaming up my next build. Jim.

mtbr member
    We don't believe you built it unless there are pics.......lol

Everyone is so helpful here

Very addictive building lights!
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

Light freak

very cool!

I was just going to say, if you have been around here for any amount of time then you know the rules- it didn't happen without pics and beamshots

I am just putting the finishing touches on a couple of 3x.XM-L2 builds myself

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Haha!! I knew that was coming.... I will try and figure out how to post a pic. I didn't take any pics of the build but will get a couple of the finished product. Not even close to the top quality that Scar puts out but it is a cool light if I do say so myself. I can't wait to get out for a ride with it unfortunately I have a few weeks left of recovery from a broken collarbone. Which was a fun night ride until I took a nap while riding...... Back at soon though. Scar I have a ton of respect for you and the ability you have at building as many of these as you do and how nice they all turn out. It took me forever to build this thing. But I loved every minute of it! Hopefully pics soon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So here you go.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thank you!!-light4.jpg  

Thank you!!-light3.jpg  

Thank you!!-light.jpg  

Thank you!!-light2.jpg  

Light freak
    Very nice job!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you!! Almost done with the mount now.

mtbr member
    awesome! Looks like a very neat job. As they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery My first ever light was a 2 up Amoeba/Achesalot clone and it's still going strong 3 years later..

mtbr member
    That turned out great!

It doesn't look like your first rodeo! I would like to here more about the details....

Now to get on the bike for a ride!

Don

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    awesome! Looks like a very neat job. As they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery My first ever light was a 2 up Amoeba/Achesalot clone and it's still going strong 3 years later..
    Me too - With a pair of R5 XR-E's and a Buckpuck, like 5 years ago. It still throws a great beam, and I only retired it from regular use late in 2012. Then a buddy's el-cheapo died, so I gave it to him to use with a handful of salvaged laptop battery cells.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you guys for the kind words!! Don what kind of info you lookin for? Yes I can't wait to get back on the bike! Had surgery 7 weeks ago to get my collarbone put back together. Doc told my I can ride on the road now but it just started snowing again so..........
    Tools used Dremal tool, hacksaw, couple files, drill, and a small hand grinder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    I am just putting the finishing touches on a couple of 3x.XM-L2 builds myself

I can't wait to see the beam shots of that one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdy View Post
    thems man tools!

(from a man, ahem, and not tools like that, honestly)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdy View Post
    Thank you guys for the kind words!! Don what kind of info you lookin for? Yes I can't wait to get back on the bike! Had surgery 7 weeks ago to get my collarbone put back together. Doc told my I can ride on the road now but it just started snowing again so..........
    Yourdy

I was curious on the body materials, reflectors, lens, switch.....Too bad no pics of the construction process, I enjoy seeing how different minds come up with different ideas

Well done,

Don

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beecrazy View Post
    Yourdy

I was curious on the body materials, reflectors, lens, switch.....Too bad no pics of the construction process, I enjoy seeing how different minds come up with different ideas

Well done,

Don
    He built one of the legendary original DIY housing designs - the Achesalot.
    Achesalot keeps his old website up - still a lot of good basics there for folks gettinginto lights.

Here: diyled

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yep. That is pretty much were I started. I went with 3/4" aluminum tubing instead of 1" but that is the site that got me started then I looked at what Scar was building and copied what he was doing. I stole every thing from someone else. But it is a sweet little light. And easily built with very basic tools. I get to build one more for my riding buddy then move onto a new design.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the link!

I was trying to figure out the construction without an underside picture, it turned out how my mind thought it was but now I know for sure...tweek.....tweek!

I do like the Scar light design, small and powerfull!

Don