mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Testing batteries?

I have a mixed bunch of 18650's.. all by Panasonic and most are reading around 3.6-3.8v but how do I work out their amp/hr rating as some are in green sleeves, some yellow and some blue.. TIA

turtles make me hot
    I tried to help out by asking my friend who sells batteries. All he could offer is that POSSIBLY the green sleeved batteries are nickle hidried, the yellow is Ni Cad and the blue MAY be lithium. He said you'd have to open the sleeving to see the ratings on the batteries. I guess you could also leave them on and see how long each one operates your light.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks.. they are all Li-ion batteries (hence the 18650 tag) but I wanted to know their ratings as they may all be the same or some better than others.. I have a set of 12 in a series parallel configuration to give me 11.1v and I am guessing that even at 2.2a/h that with a 2.5amp draw I should see around 3.5hrs of burn time

Lets RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    I like turtles
    You know, for the longest time I've been wondering WTF was up with your avatar. Well I accidentally came across this video this morning. I laughed my ass off but still have to say WTF?

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    yes its a problem i have too ...
    the guys with AA batteries have this handy AA analyser
    Maha MH-C9000
    it is extremely tedious charging and discharging single cells to find their capacity
    i`m sure there is a market for an 18650 battery analyser

vb/showthread.php?t=133440" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" rel="nofollow">www.candlepowerforums.com
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's going to take some time, but here's what you do. Using your charger, charge each cell. Use an 1157 auto bulb with both of the center tits hooked together. This will be about 1/3 amp load. Attach to battery cell, attach voltmeter, read initial voltage, wait 2 hours, read voltage again. Better cells will have a higher voltage. Do NOT discharge Li-ion cells bellow 3.0 volts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You will have various ratings from probably 1.8Ah depending on how old they are to possibly 2.4 or 2.6Ah. Each colour responds to its capacity and all of that colour will be that same capacity. Do they not have a CGR18650** on them?

CGR18650CG 2250mAh
    CGR18650DA 2450mAh
    CGR18650E 2550mAh

Oh and don't build a battery out of various colours.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    You know, for the longest time I've been wondering WTF was up with your avatar. Well I accidentally came across this video this morning. I laughed my ass off but still have to say WTF?

JZ
    Sorry for the hijack... I have no idea how to post an avatar, one day when I left work, I left myself logged on and my buddy put that on there for me. I'm familiar with the video and I think it's funny, so I left it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    HAHAHA...I would be that mischievous buddy. I'm beddy beddy sneaky!

Members who have read this thread: 0