mtbr member
    May 2010

Tell us about your next light

Got something in the works, or just having a think, tell us about your next build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was planning a 3 x XPG R5 with a 1000mA buckpuck, achesalot style housing run with my original battery pack from my first "ugly" build (3 X P4) @ 14v, but the LEDs haven't showed up, and maybe never will. I already have 4 square Lauras for xpg.

Maybe I'll just move to trouties 2 x xlm and a H6flex. or a 1 x xlm with an L flex. I'm just starting to get good at cutting square tubing.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Well I've got two 3 up XML neutral tint boards on order from Cutter plus an H6flex driver that it itching to get used. Haven't quite figure out what the heck I'm going to use for a housing just yet.. Will I make it a single 3up or an insane double?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well I have these two on order with Cutters at the moment in the never ending quest for a single LED with a reflector.
    .http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1300150725
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1300150725

My current favorite head light is either the Triple XRE with narrow optics or the MCE with the IRIS. I plan to see if either of these with a reflector is better having just used a Kaidomain reflector with an XPG and got fantastic results even when cut down to less than half the length.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell us about your next light-mp-l.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

removing nudity
    Details here
    DX xml arrived late last week, just need to find the time to start hacking out a housing

mtbr member
    I built up a triple P4 achesalot light a few years ago that's my primary off-road light. A bit dated these days, but still gets the job done for me. I've been feeling the itch lately to replace it; haven't decided what with yet.

I've just started building up a new commuter light - single P4, 35mm narrow optic I got years ago from Elektrolumens, and a DX 3256 driver. Nothing special really, but I already had all the parts, including the round aluminum bar stock that's currently on the lathe.

mtbr member
    Probably going to be a triple XML - b2Flex @ 1.5A bar light to go with my twin XPG helmet light as I'm trying to keep battery packs small and inexpensive. Must also sell some of my other(too many) lights to pay for it all though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Call me old fashioned, but my next is going to be a dual triple XPG with the Cute SS optic. Similar to my last micro light, except this will have the driver in the housing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm going to build amoeba-style 4*XPG bars light as soon as LEDs & Reginas arrive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Two small housings, one either side under the bars. Each one will contain either a single XM-L in half a 52mm aluminium mag reflector, or two XM-Ls in half 26mm reflectors. This is to give a road-friendly cut-off beam providing more light on the ground and less in the sky, as per here. If the smaller reflectors work well then 3 XM-Ls would be on ground illumination duties and one as a blinker, with the LED mounted differently in the reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by formantjim
    Well I have these two on order with Cutters at the moment in the never ending quest for a single LED with a reflector.
    .http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1300150725
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1300150725
    What on earth are those!?

Michael

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Working on dual P7 AVR controlled bike system.. But there is still lots of stuff to do..
    Light heads: http://code.google.com/p/avrbikeligh...ningLightHeads
    Tail light: http://code.google.com/p/avrbikelight/wiki/TailLight
    Controller: http://code.google.com/p/avrbikeligh.../ControllerBox

mtbr member
    1. Almost done. Reworking hard cut-off triple aspheric road helmet high-beam light in Marwi housing. 1 XP-E R3 for the farthest beam instead of a dedomed XP-D R5. B2Flex replaced Bflex. Heat sink moved rearward and LED's shifted to get better beam separation. That has caused a thermal issue that is being resolved. Light is being used at lower power in flash mode durning the day solid at night with T cutoff at 70 C, while I fashion the sink extension.

Beam on wall, Cell phone at its normal exposure to show beam separation and higher intensity in farther beams:

On the road aimed with nearest wide beam out about 30' or 10 m, gives an 8' wide beam extending out past 30 m or 100 feet, that is too bright on dry pavement at 1 amp but perfect on wet. On 1 A (get a fe w minutes before thremal cut off) I can aim the top beam out over 200 feet (60 m) and have a swath most of 2 lanes wide with just enough spill to be seeen but not glare (that fuzzy edge would show more with a normal MTBR camera setting).

Light on Hemet Pics 1 & 2:

Just a small heat problem (won't stay on over 0.5 A at 70 C cutoff, ran for hours before at 50 C in summer heat, so it will again.

2. Twin Marwi road beams. Lenses: Iris and Eva, LEDs: two XM-L T6s, Driver: trimmed H6Flex, Housings: Marwi double housing, mount: Widened B& M fork crown mount using Marwi double mounting hardware. Used a heat sink mule to test lenses on hand and confirmed these as best choices IMHO. I also like that they hide a lot. Intended as near and medium distance road beams aimed down with hoods to cut glare to complement helmet light above. Driver and driver sink are mounted and wiring complete. May make pipe cap sinks to get on with them and make jig to cut circular 1/8" Alu firewalls with interference fit a later mod. The hand cut one for the driver will handle 2 watts of waste heat fine, but I need good contact all around and across the disc thickness for 10 Watts of heat from each XM-L.

Modding the stock Marwi switch to SPST NO MOM:

EL34 carries replacements now.

The driver and heatsink before assemby into one Marwi housing:

Beamshots and video when all are completed.

Old business: The previous road low beam unit went into this:.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 03-15-2011 at 08:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Good to see your design at last, BrianMc! Looks promising.

mtbr member
    my next light will be a bar light - 2 XM-L on a alu sled with H6flex and Laura+CXP RS(or Boom SS or Regina) optics, going into 2 pieces of 1in sq alu side by side. Will have a 3S2P 4400mAh battery and a choice of CPU heatsink pieces to try and keep it cool

I've had the parts for this light for a couple of months, but I've been busy cranking out single XP-G lights for friends and family, so hopefully I'll get this done before night riding season ends (if I can get my daughters' Diego treehouse made that is...).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm currently thinking two xml, either ledil lxp or reginas, anyone tried anything other than the RS lxp - I've got some diffused ones (slightly wider than the RS) that I'd like to try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    LM1-D is a bit wider than the LXP. I'd go for LXP+Regina, to get the Regina throw and fill in the reflector cutoff with the LXP flood.