mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tell me about halogens please.

I've got a 3 year Jet 20W halogen light. I'm not sure of the exact model but I had heard that most of the halogens used the same MR?? bulbs\reflectors.

I'm wondering if any strides have been made in the past 3 years that would make it worthwhile for me to think about replacing the bulb.

I just got a new Dinotte 200L and its just as bright as my current Jet.
    I'm thinking about running both of them at an upcoming race for some technical single track and this made me think about the old bulb in the Jet.

Tommy

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    At 3 years old your bulb is probably nearing its death. I've noticed massive differences in bulb quality, especially from bargain MR11 manufacturers. NiteHawk makes replacement bulbs that have a higher than normal color temp - 3000K which makes them more white/blue. Same goes for Planet Bike. I have an Alias on order and will be able to compare to 5 watt and 20 watt NiteHawk bulbs. I'll let you know how they compare. The NH bulbs go for $15, PB bulbs cost $30.

http://www.nite-hawk.com/store/custo...me.php?cat=271

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3017_3.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can you get the replacement bulb from Jet directly? I think you can. The Halogens dim with age. The bulbs are cheap. However, bulbs with the same wattage do differ greatly in light output and resilience to shock when they come from diff manufacturers. A few say they don't but they have no idea what they are talking about.

Call Jet and see if they have them in stock- should be around $20.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Can you get the replacement bulb from Jet directly? I think you can. The Halogens dim with age. The bulbs are cheap. However, bulbs with the same wattage do differ greatly in light output and resilience to shock when they come from diff manufacturers. A few say they don't but they have no idea what they are talking about.

Call Jet and see if they have them in stock- should be around $20.
    There nothing wrong with what I have.
    As much as I can tell it still works as good as it did originally I'm just wondering if theres something better now I could replace it with.
    Look at the leaps that LED's have made in 3 years.

Yes, I can buy replacement bulbs from Jet for $20 but who's to say it any better.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think Halogen bulbs have advanced much for biking use- in the 10-20 watt range. Halogens do dim year over year so a fresh buld does help in most cases.

LEDs are in infancy stage for bike use so the advancements are much faster. Halogens have been around for a long time and have reached the limits of their advancement.