mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Tailight: Lux III w/ Cheap Flashlight Driver

I'm planning on building a tail light with a single, red-orange Lux III running at 1,200 mA with a cheap flashlight driver from Kaidomain.com.
    I will power it with 3 AA NiMH cells.

Anyone have any experience with these cheap drivers?
    A bFlex is to pricy and a Buckpuck won't blink.
    Will I have a problem with this setup?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smacmillin
    I'm planning on building a tail light with a single, red-orange Lux III running at 1,200 mA with a cheap flashlight driver from Kaidomain.com.
    I will power it with 3 AA NiMH cells.

Anyone have any experience with these cheap drivers?
    I made a similar light here's the thread with lots of pictures and video:
    Dinotte/Achesalot inspired DIY Taillight - with Pics

I used a 1000Ma DealExtreme 5 Mode driver powered by 3 AA in a 4 AA holder with one battery slot jumpered. I didn't realize the Luxeon II Red could be driven at 1400Ma until later and the closest flashing driver I found was the 1200Ma one you mentioned which I would use if I built another. I took my first group road ride with it it his week and it was really great. I have to loan it to someone else to see how bright it is. There is also a 1400MA driver, but it has no flash mode. I find that I either use it in high or strobe. I tend to think I will use it in strobe during the day and solid on high at night.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanx for your response. I missed the fact that you used a DealExtreme driver. Is there any down side of these cheap drivers given their extremely low price?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Not sure - I think it's lack of flexibility and maybe some lack of efficiency. The Bflex and the Buckpuck are pretty efficient and the Bflex has many modes and a low battery warning. They also have a wider input voltage.
    Most of the cheap drivers have a 6V Max input. I want to use one to drive 2 LEDs, but the only driver I can find with over 7V is this one and it's 800ma single mode:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3256

Driving 1 LED with the input voltage close to the forward voltage like you are, this would be a fine choice. Bflex is overkill. My runtimes with my 1000ma driver were 2-3 hrs with 3 AA NiMH @ 2200Mah.