Thread: T Rex awakens

mtbr member

T Rex awakens

In the year since I bought three Lux V emitters for this project, LEDs have evolved a lot. The new Crees and others have matched their light output with much better efficiency. But since I finally had the time, I put them together.

On paper this light should be putting out around 510 lumens. That's the spec average for the emitters (WX1S), but not corrected for losses in the reflectors and for operating above the optimum emitter temperature. The casing gets warm very quickly and would overheat if not being moved.

Since the combined Vf for 3 Lux Vs is about 18.5v, I originally wanted to use a Shark boost driver with my 14.8 v battery packs. After burning out 2 of them, and not having a clear plan for heatsinking the driver either, I decided to go with 2 Buck Pucks instead. That made the wiring dead simple: the switches control the center or the two outer emitters respectively. That way I can run 1/3 or 2/3 power too. I have not tested run time. On paper it calculates to 2 1/2 hours at full power. (2.2 mAh battery/ 0.85A measured= 2.59 hours)

The case is made from 1" square aluminum tubing per Achesalot. Instead of making a fancy anchor inside the casing, I cut oversize end pieces from aluminum plate, then connected them over the casing with threaded stainless rod threaded to accept matching nuts. See the pictures. (Weight is 167 g. Edited to add weight)

The cable grip is a 1/8 brass plumbing fitting drilled oversize to accept the electrical cable. An o-ring provides some sealing to moisture, as do the NPT pipe threads on the other end.

The beam is very wide and even and powerful. Hope to use it soon.

BTW, the emitter stars are screwed into place, so the light may be upgradeable.

Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Pretty neat light - What's the mounting method? Pictures would be great and do you have any pictures of the interior prior to assembly? Is there a plexiglass front behind the round cutouts?

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by mjzraz
    Pretty neat light - What's the mounting method? Pictures would be great and do you have any pictures of the interior prior to assembly? Is there a plexiglass front behind the round cutouts?
    That, that, we want see the "before"

Nice job!!!

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjzraz
    Yes, there is plexiglass behind the holes.

Mounting will be by means of a handlebar mount purchased from Batteryspace. The light head will attach to the mount with a velcro strap. That way it can also be fastened to a helmet. Will show pictures when the bar mount is complete.

I will post pictures of the interior when I get home from work.

Walt

mtbr member

Gracias

Quote Originally Posted by msxtr
    That, that, we want see the "before"

Nice job!!!

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    I looked at your builds, very nice! Unfortunately my Spanish is very poor indeed so I was not able to follow the details.

Walt

mtbr member

The inside story

Here is a photo of my light partially disassembled. I didn't pull the electronics apart because it's hard to get everything stuffed back inside.

The ring that holds the light to the mount is a piece of 2" PVC tubing. I cut slots for a velcro strap and some grooves for the stainless steel bars to sit in. The ring will be glued to the bar mount. The slot cutting was done with a drill press and a cross-vise. The two gray rectangles are gaskets for the light body.

Walt

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Dizzy
    I looked at your builds, very nice! Unfortunately my Spanish is very poor indeed so I was not able to follow the details.

Walt

Thanks to you

Your desing I'm like very much, simple and effective

By the way, how holder you the optics to the aluminium piece??

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member

Optics mounting

msxtr,

The reflectors are squeezed between the star and the plexiglass. The aluminum cover had to be cut to a height that would give a close fit. I ended up with a gap between the cover and the back because I did not get the fit exact. Fortunately the plate that the stars are attached to is thick enough to span the gap.

Walt

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Dizzy
    msxtr,

The reflectors are squeezed between the star and the plexiglass. The aluminum cover had to be cut to a height that would give a close fit. I ended up with a gap between the cover and the back because I did not get the fit exact. Fortunately the plate that the stars are attached to is thick enough to span the gap.

Walt
    Squeezed??

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Could you give us some details on those switches? Type, source, waterproof? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Also the connector for the electrical wire....

mtbr member

Toggle switch boot

Quote Originally Posted by steve86
    Could you give us some details on those switches? Type, source, waterproof? Thanks.
    The switches themselves are just micro SPST (single pole, single throw) switches from Radio Shack. They use a 1/4" hole. Sorry, I don't have a part number.

The boots are part no. 335-1001-ND from Digi-Key:

http://www.digikey.com/

They are Hexseal toggle switch boots. They have seals built into the bottom of the base hex nut. Very nice design. The part number quoted has a 1/4-40 thread.

They don't last forever though. If you purchase, buy an extra one or two. I've already torn two of them.

Walt

Edit: While the boot has a 1/4-40 tread, the Radio shack switch has a different thread. It's either 1/4-36 or 1/4-32. In any case the Digi-Key boots do not work correctly with them. I had a hard time starting the threaded portion of the boot on to the switch, and last night I stripped the thread out of one of the boots trying to seat it against the light body. The solution is to also buy the micro-switch from Digi-Key. Apologies if anyone wasted money on trying this combination of parts due to my recommendation.

Walt
    Last edited by Walt Dizzy; 12-06-2007 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member

All Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime
    Also the connector for the electrical wire....
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi

Catalog Number CON-320

It comes as a male-female pair nicely pre-wired. They call it a waterproof connector. I think that is a bit of a stretch. But it is a very solid connector that would probably stand up to a light rain.

Walt

mtbr member

Under pressure

Quote Originally Posted by msxtr
    Squeezed??

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    msxtr,

Apologies if your comment was intended to funny. (Yes, the English word for "retained with moderate pressure" is the same one that also means a type of sexual caress!).

The reflectors are held in place, not by glue, but because the space between the LED star and the plexiglass window is very close to the size of the reflector. See the drawing I have cleverly included to make my idea clear.

Walt