mtbr member
    May 2005

switchback or minewt dual?

Hello everyone,
    I am looking to getting a light for commuting and night riding and was looking at the Princeton Tec Switchback 3.0 or the Niterider MiNewt dual. I'm looking at both of there in particular because they're both on sale right now in about the 200 dollar range, give or take, and I've heard good things about both. That's my budget that I can spare on a light right now. Any input would be much appreciated.
    thanks,
    john

mtbr member
    I take it you are talking about last years MiNewt Dual, and not the X2 Dual, so my comments will be geared that way.

The Switchback 3 will be brighter, have a longer run time and come with both the wall charger and the car charger. The battery, though, is large and may or may not fit you bike, depending on the frame style. The charge time is amazingly short for such a large battery.

The MiNewt Dual is very small, puts out an adequate amount of light -- depending on type of riding -- and the battery is small and easily fits any type of bike out there. The run time is shorter, and the charge time is longer.

That's how I see it anyway.

Do It Yourself
    The new Minewt is brighter on low than the old one was on high. I didn't shop around much but you can get the new X.2 dual system for $209 at Blue Sky. So don't skimp an d buy the old Minewt for $180 or whatever. You're missing out on a lot of light if you do. The Switchback is a bit behind the times using Luxeon IIIs. They are soooo 2006.
    Long Live Long Rides