Play all day

Swap 10 Watt with 20 Watt Halogen?

I got a Planet Bike Alias 10W halogen for my bike commute. I was wondering if I'd face any problems if I swapped out the 10W with a 20W bulb of the same size and voltage. Anyone have any experience with it? I figure the battery life would suffer, but that shouldn't be an issue. My main concern is whether there are any issues with the electronic switch and if the bulb would overheat the housing causing it to melt or something. I plan to try it out and see what happens, but figured I should ask here before I do it, just in case I'm making a bad mistake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    G'day Jinks

I have not owned/worked with that particular light, so please take my comments with a little caution.

My comments are based on doing what you propose (swapping bulbs) with other brands, namely BLT, Vista Lights and Jet's.

I do not think you will have an 'electrical' or 'heat' issue with the higher wattage bulb. I suspect Alias (and the brands listed above) do not have different housings or electical circuits for the different wattage lights sold.

One thing you may encounter is difficulty in getting the bulb to fit. On some brands of bulb the 'thickness' of the glass rim will change and this will effect how the buld sits in the housing. Of the brands i've mentioned this was only an issue with the Vista's. The remedy was simple, either buy a replacement front screw on 'cap' (which are marked 5 or 10 or 15 watt) or modify the rubber ring spacer (which is what i did).

I have succesfully run a 20 watt bulb in a 5 watt Vista Light housing for the past 2 years now with no issues.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jawry