Thread: status LED

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

status LED

OK, probably stupid question. I am considering using an Lflex V3 due to wanting to wire a status led. I have searched 3 and 5mm leds and they look like bare emitters. How are these mounted in a housing? Drill a hole and glue to bulb on the inside of the housing? I am probably not searching correctly. I know many of you use them. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    You'd be better off getting a switch with a built in LED - there are several waterproof ones on eBay, although I got mine from Digikey.

Otherwise, yes, a 3mm LED glued into the housing would work just fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    So if I was to use an external switch my only option is glued to hole in housing. If I want to have the switch on the body I can use a momentary switch w/ an included status light? I notice there is only one output on the Lflex for the status, isn't there a need to ground the negative lead on the status led? Any links to momentary switches w/ built in led, momentary?
    thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The LFlex manual says:

An optional 3mm or 5mm colored LED can be connected between STAT (anode) and IN- (cathode) to be used as a battery status indicator. There is an on board 100 ohm series resistor in the STAT connection to reduce and limit the current. Nominal drive voltage is 2.5V.
    As for the switch, I'm using this one.

(It's nice to actually be able to answer a question instead of just ask them all the time.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ahhh....that's what I get for not reading the fine print. Thanks for the info and the link Praxis!
    I know just how you feel, congrats.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    These look nice for a status LED internal to the housing. Just drill a hole for them and thread the nut.

Green LED with Holder : LED Holders | RadioShack.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    pretty cool, they come in red too!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYtailight View Post
    These look nice for a status LED internal to the housing. Just drill a hole for them and thread the nut.

Green LED with Holder : LED Holders | RadioShack.com
    Be sure to put a little sealant around this when installing to make it watertight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Be sure to put a little sealant around this when installing to make it watertight.
    Yup, a little sealant or an o-ring works well

Rep Power Infinity +2
    With the 3mm led's I use typically I will drill a hole just undersize, press the led in, then put a bit a sealant on the back for good measure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
    The LFlex manual says:

As for the switch, I'm using this one.

(It's nice to actually be able to answer a question instead of just ask them all the time.)
    Can anyone post a wiring diagram that shows this setup? I'm having a hard time visualizing how to wire a switch like this into a lflex.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KBARK View Post
    Can anyone post a wiring diagram that shows this setup? I'm having a hard time visualizing how to wire a switch like this into a lflex.
    I just jammed both wires into the spot on the board, but I'm sure there's a better way to run the wires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    KBARK - the switch has 4 contacts, 2 are for the LED and 2 are for the switch.

I'd work with 22 or 24 ga. wire since neither of these functions carry much current.

The status LED will have 2 connections - anode and cathode, anode needs to be wired to the STAT connection on the board, and the cathode needs to be wired to the same spot that the battery's negative wire connects to the board (IN -).

the other 2 connections on the switch will connect to SWa and SWb - doesn't matter which is which.

As for the switch -

The 2 square tabs are for the momentary switch ( wired to SWA & SWB on the LFlex) the 2 thin leads are for the LED. the longer one is usually the anode (wired to STAT on the LFlex) - check the switch documentation to make sure before soldering.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good tips. One question with the flex stuff. How does the led tell you status? Just blinks? I wouls love to have a 3 color system to tell good,middle, and low.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You pick the voltage thresholds yourself when you program a TaskLED driver - you set Vmed and Vlow.

the Led is off when voltage is above Vmed. It is lit constantly when below Vmed but above Vlow. Below Vlow the status led will blink constantly.

the output doesn't have variable output that would allow a multi-color LED to be used like you mentioned.

you can also set your driver to blink the main LED's themselves - above Vlow and they will blink once at an interval you select (5,10,30,60 secs), below Vlow they will blink twice at that came interval.

mtbr member
    this is the one I use, which looks pretty much the same as the one linked to above. I've used a few (7 or 8?) and they seem to hold up as well as any other. Be careful not to twist those LED stat wires around though as they're complete sods to fix then they snap off

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    You pick the voltage thresholds yourself when you program a TaskLED driver - you set Vmed and Vlow.

the Led is off when voltage is above Vmed. It is lit constantly when below Vmed but above Vlow. Below Vlow the status led will blink constantly.

the output doesn't have variable output that would allow a multi-color LED to be used like you mentioned.

you can also set your driver to blink the main LED's themselves - above Vlow and they will blink once at an interval you select (5,10,30,60 secs), below Vlow they will blink twice at that came interval.
    Wow. They have just about everything packed in there!!!

Seems totally worth the price.