mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Starting My Hammond Box Light

Well, I have gotten so many good ideas from this forum. I thought for my first light I would try a Hammond Extruded Waterproof Box. It is the 1457C801 from Digikey.

In addition, I am going to use a Judco switch and a Marwi mount. The cable gland is also from Hammond.

The battery will be a Magicshine in the cool waterproof canister.

And for the light.....It will use a single L33.2MC. This is the only key component I am missing at this time. It is probably some where over the ocean.

A little glue and silicone here and there and it should be ready to go!

Some of the problems I have already encountered... The case is powder coated. It was over sprayed on the inside. I will need to sand this to get the best thermal transfer. In the future I will most likely choose a anodized case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starting My Hammond Box Light-img_0192.jpg  

Starting My Hammond Box Light-img_0193.jpg  

Starting My Hammond Box Light-img_0194.jpg  

mtbr member
    Could you get some batteries to fit in the case? Looks pretty roomy.
    Why just 1 LED?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    Why just 1 LED?
    It's a 3up with an on-board driver. But still plenty of room and a shallow front plate.

mtbr member
    A first light. I like it so far. I don't care if you might squeeze a battery pack in. That can be V2. Unless I am mistaken, this is the first thread using the L33.2MC modules that isn't a machined housing. A worthwhile varient as it stands. Have at it

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The case is 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. There is quite a bit of open room in the case. The reason I am not attempting to make it any smaller is to allow for enough heat sinking.

In theory the L33.2MC should put out about 1100 lumens - that's quite a few watts and heat generated.

The front and rear covers will not be part of the heat sink due to the waterproof seal. This leaves approx about 18 sq inches of cooling surface. That should be just about right for a triple LED like this.

If all goes well, I will construct another light which is smaller....Maybe even a double L33.2MC in a similar size case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster79
    It's a 3up with an on-board driver. But still plenty of room and a shallow front plate.
    Oh. Yeah. Guess you can tell I'm a bit of a noob here. I have to look that one up now. Sounds great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks good even for a second effort much less a first. My first light involved substantially more jb weld adhesive and looked fugly as any thing. Now you have the bug. You will soon be building more, not because you need them but because you will for difficult to understand and perverse reasons want to. 1100 reliable, well heat sinked lumens on the bars is probably enough. What are you going to build next, more of these for friends or a helmet mount light for you self?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yup, this stuff is addicting, I am already thinking about my next project.......

I would like to build a light in a casing of similar size but this time with two L33.2MC!

Each light would have a separate on/off switch and perhaps a toggle switch to quickly changes modes.

What I am quickly learning from the forum is what is appropriate for off-road is borderline obscene and blinding at times on the road. One of the projectors will be flood and the other will be narrow beam.

As for the battery, I like the housing of the Magicshine. It is highly water resistant and looks pretty good. I am not a great fan of the velcro neoprene but that's OK. I am also not a fan of the long cord - this will probably be shortened for my next application. The connectors are not likes by some but I think they are pretty good.

I would also like to use an acrylic which is scratch-proof. Another thought is some more of the excellent lenses from flashlightlens.com. This time instead of ordering the light diffusing film, both will be crystal clear. I may even try glass.

The hammond cases are pretty nice but the next time I may try the annodized cases from Newark.com.

So many ideas......Hmmm, need more L33.2MCs!