Thread: SSC P7's

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

SSC P7's

Hi all

This might seem a newbie question (i am a newbie after all ), but why is everyone using MC-E's over P7's for their new gen light set ups?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    limited driver options....well, atleast till the hipflex comes out

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    oh ok then it seems i'm not the only one waiting then

i just wondered why nobody was using the maxFlex @ 1400ma (1/2 power for the P7)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    With a MCE you have more options for the wiring, like 4 serial or 2 serial / 2 parallel. For the MCE are also a lot more optics available, particularly small ones. It is only a pity the small optics don't work.

Maxflex is a step up driver. But with only one P7 you have an forward voltage of only 3.7V, the battery voltage needs to stay below that. So for example li-ion battery's won't work for this setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    superfast - thanks having looked at the MC-E and the P7, im not sure my soldering skills are up to the job , as far as the maxFlex goes i was think more in the line of multiple p7's more akin to Mr Trout's MC-E rig so the step up shouldnt be an issue

Personally i toying with the idea of trying to cram 2/3 P7's in to an "Easy DIY" type set up. just trying to figure out how to get rid of the heat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Many issue between the two

Color/bin : More available options with the MCE
    Optics : More choices for MCE
    Wiring : P7 is parallel only. MCE can be wired any way you wish
    Drivers : Not many options for the P7. The P7 needs a high current.

I have been using the P7 anyway. Being the odd ball is a good thing.

The Kaidomain driver with good results so far.
    On full it puts out 2800 mA, so each diode is getting 700 mA.

A boom SS reflector can be easily modified to fit the P7. Just sand or grind away 2 to 3 mm from the base of the reflector and then enlarge the opening to about 9 mm.

Throw isn't too bad and there are no artifacts in the beam pattern.

No beam shots yet. Sooner or later I will take some and post pictures of the housing, beam shots, and assembly process.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    odtexas - questions questions, - does this mean i need more than 1 driver for a 3 Led rig? (electronics was never my strong suit)

How many led are you running on your driver? Do you have any heat issues ?

i thought ledil has started making boom reflectors for the P7

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes
    no
    Seriously:

1 driver per led, remember that each led is actually 4 diodes in one package. Current to run multiple multi chip assemblies would probably fry the driver.

I run 1 p7 with a modified MC-E Boom SS. I have two Amoebas courtesy of Scar. Sort of use his little beauty as a benchmark. I want a small , single light package that mounts to the helmet along with its battery pack.
    Scar seems to have nailed this using two single diode led's. I am too clumsy to solder and run that many wires. 1 P7 or MCE will give you slighly higher lumens than the Amoeba light. Issue being that focusing of the multichip diode difficult with smaller optics.
    Troutie brought up this very topic earler this week I believe.
    Anyway I ran both of the Amoeba lights on the helmet and loved it. If I crashed or had an electrical failure I figured that I would still have one of the lights.

I am using 1 inch aluminum square tube from home depot. It is 2.25 inches long and has 3/8's by 1 inch aluminum flat stock JB welded to two sides of the tube. 3 slots are cut horizontally into each block for heat sinking.

In the housing is the P7 star, SS boom modified, 3/8 inch aluminum slug, driver, and the power switch.

No heat problems sitting still. It does get fairly hot to the touch though after about 45 minutes. The housing is cool during riding.

This is the first completed "production" light. Need to clean up the JB Weld and polish the housing a bit. Been using odd parts and bits from around the house to make several different lights and get the wiring worked out. Looking to standardize the process and be able to make a few all the same so parts are interchangeable.

If you don't standardize things you end up like troutie.

mtbr member
    Wow nice work.
    I may have to copy that (actually boom ss is on its way already).
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    If you don't standardize things you end up like troutie.

Oi What is that supposed to mean standardise !!!! never stifles progress

Tasty light that cut some t slots in the heatsinks and daisy chain them together

Spanish biker
    odtexas, very nice job!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand how you use 1 driver per led if the 4 leds work together in the P7 led??

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    msxtr:
    That is a communciation thing. English is my first and only language and it gives me fits.

I was refering to a question about running multiple p7's with 1 driver. Not possible with the Kaidomain driver without melt down.

So Kaidomain driver runs at 2800 mA giving each one of the 4 diodes in the chip 700 mA.

OP inquired to multiple p7's. Each would need its own driver.

znomit:
    Have at it. Been reading everyones great work here and on candlepowerforums for months. Everything accomplished is due to people like yourself, troutie, scar, acheselot, zen bicycle, etal.

Troutie:
    I will let you do the dreaming. I am mildly compulsive and already have dreams of a mill. If I ever got one the wife would never see me. There are some variations to this chasis I think about, but I just want a simple single head light that can run 2 to 3 hours on a 11.1 V Lion battery pack.

Thank you all for the inspiration.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    odtexas - i'm liking this, lightweight and functional, but i like troutie's idea, daisy chain them, giving endless flexibility.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    ....A boom SS reflector can be easily modified to fit the P7. Just sand or grind away 2 to 3 mm from the base of the reflector and then enlarge the opening to about 9 mm.

Throw isn't too bad and there are no artifacts in the beam pattern.

No beam shots yet. Sooner or later I will take some and post pictures of the housing, beam shots, and assembly process.
    odtexas, I like this build...simple...compact...900lm(?)..like the Amoeba it should run with a small battery setup on the helmet....plus it's multi-mode. Looks like it might be easy to copy. ...now about the throw...how far? ...and since msxtr forgot to give his trade mark parting comment, I will give it for him....[SIZE="4"]BEAM SHOTS![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Anyone seen this before?
    Looks just the job (apart from size) for powering the P7.
    http://www.led-tech.de/en/LED-Contro...0_118_119.html