DrD
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

SSC p4 upgrade path?

I have a cygolite dualcross pro which appears to have two SSC P4 leds on 20mm stars - is there a readily available upgrade I could do to improve light output (currently, rated at 310 lumens) - looks reasonably easy to remove/replace the stars (desolder), but I have no idea what is a suitable replacement. Anyone out there have some ideas?

mtbr member
    XP-G or XM-L on 20mm star would work, though you would probably need new optics/ reflectors to make the most of the change. If you can post how deep the current optic/ reflector is, that'll help a great deal in recommending some.

DrD
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ok - I took the light apart again and the optics are solid plastic cones approximately 19mm tall and 35mm in diameter at the large end. At the LED end, there is a pocket/indentation 6.5mm in diameter and 6.5mm deep which goes over the LED. The optics sit in the end of the heat sink assembly which the stars are attached to.

mtbr member
    sounds promising. Those optics should fit over the XM-Ls, though there's no telling if the beam pattern would be any good. If not, Regina reflectors will fit easily (17mm deep by ~20mm wide) and the larger 35mm reflectors might too (Iris for one), though I'm not sure on the depth. Reginas you can get from Digikey in the US (if you're in the US!), not sure about Iris. XM-Ls I get from Kaidomain (takes 3-4wks) or you could try Cutter in Australia (quicker but a bit more expensive)

if you need any help, just post up some pictures and I'm sure we'll be able to help you out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Fraen FRC-N should fit in just fine over an XM-L.

DrD
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So when comparing the XP-G and the XM-L, the latter is more efficient, correct? It looks like the two are pretty close to the same output at a given drive current, but the XM-L is much brighter (and passes more current) at a given voltage - I guess I don't know how the controllers typically work (i.e., if they are a constant current supply, or fixed voltage supply)

mtbr member
    How old are they?
    If they are using old low bin P4s you might see a decent improvement with newer U bin P4s, and no worries about optic compatibility.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

DrD
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would guess they are around 4 years old at this point - has the P4 changed much in light output?

mtbr member
    Post some pics of the inside of the light where the leds sit, the optics with all measurements...
    We can then see what were dealing with and hopefully come up with the best solution

Would also be good if you could measure the current to the leds on high...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrD View Post
    I would guess they are around 4 years old at this point - has the P4 changed much in light output?
    Bin chart here:
    http://imageshack.us/f/85/flux.jpg/
    I think 4 years ago "U" bin was available, which was very broad, covers 90-120lm, expect under 100 back then. More recently the bin was split into two, then three. You can get U3 now which is 110 -120.
    A lot of manufacturers were using T bin back then, so you might find a 30% improvement in brightness.

Chart is from from this cpf thread.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    I made a few lights with SSC p4's that I bought here: http://www.leds.de/en/High-Power-LED...ite-240lm.html, They have a vf of 3.2v-3.3v @1000ma and there isn't much difference in light output or vf when compared to my latest XPG R5 light.

As znomit says, if you are happy with the beam pattern that you have then the latest P4 could be the answer. The hard part is getting hold of the latest bin. But the link above would supply them.

Edit: Forgot to say that the XPG does run cooler than the P4.
    Last edited by yetibetty; 07-23-2011 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    TBH, I wouldn't bother sticking with P4s - I've done a P4 ?>P4 U2 upgrade on a friend's MiNewt and it didn't make the slightest difference. Granted, it only cost $4, but the XM-L upgrades I've done have been at least two times brighter than the P4s that NR uses (pretty sure they're not U bin). As a rough guess, they've gone from ~150-200lm to ~350lm (all at 1A), with longer run time to boot.

YMMV but I honestly can't see the point sticking with 2+ generations old technology when the new stuff isn't that much more money. It'd be like going from a Core Duo E6200 to a Core Due E6400