mtbr member
    Jul 2007

soldering w/ teflon wire?

At least that's what i think it is.

I bought a couple of easy2led.com's switches, but for my application, the attached cable was way too long.

I cut it to length and when I went to start soldering it back together, I find this very fine wire (way finer than 24ga) and it appears that each filament is wrapped in thread or fiber of some kind, so I'm assuming it is very small teflon-jacketed strands.

I can't get this stuff to take any solder - silver or leaded, flux or not. It isn't a heat thing, cause I kept increasing heat until got it hot enough to even melt the jacketing a little.

I like the Idea of having something like a 3.5mm or RCA style jack coming out of my cable glands on my lights, that way i could have only that and my battery connector exiting the housing, and leave the switches on my helmet and or bar with the correct length wiring.

I went and rewired both of the switch housings I had with 24ga zip wire - it barely fits, but it does go in there. I like the little plastic housing the switch is embedded in, I might start duplicating something similar for myself going forward. I'm not going to keep buying $10 switch assemblies just to jut them and rewire it all myself.

Now - for ~$4 or so, I'd buy an unassembled Easy2LED switch housing if it came with the tactile switch, the plastic piece, and the formed rubber boot in a DIY assembly.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds like you have Litz wire.

Litz wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regular Teflon insulated wire solders nicely and does not suffer from insulation meltback like PVC insulated wire. The downside to Teflon insulated wire is that the insulation is pretty stiff compared to most other insulation types.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yes, it seems similar to what you posted. Stuff is very weird - doesn't behave like I've ever encountered.

mtbr member
    I had an issue with the sensor wire for my Blackburn Atom cycle computer. I cut the wire on accident and had fun trying to repair it.

This wire had a coating on each wire that I had to scotch brite to take solder. Kinda of a pain being the wires wire so dang fine.

Good luck gettin it soldered
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ah when I saw this post I figured it was about using teflon wiring in builds. I dont like the stuff at all have had great results with turnigy silicone wire from hobbyking.com in various sizes. Teflon is just to stiff for my liking.

I have encountered the type of wire you describe that will not take solder it is frustrating. It was in a headphone cord on some high end sony head phones. Sanding the really tiny wires worked ok. I think if i were going to try it again i would get gold pins and pin sockets in the smallest size from hobbyking. Then just push the unsolderable wires into the solder cups and crimp them hard with big pliers then I would have a gold plated pin to solder to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay View Post
    Ah when I saw this post I figured it was about using teflon wiring in builds. I dont like the stuff at all have had great results with turnigy silicone wire from hobbyking.com in various sizes. Teflon is just to stiff for my liking.

I have encountered the type of wire you describe that will not take solder it is frustrating. It was in a headphone cord on some high end sony head phones. Sanding the really tiny wires worked ok. I think if i were going to try it again i would get gold pins and pin sockets in the smallest size from hobbyking. Then just push the unsolderable wires into the solder cups and crimp them hard with big pliers then I would have a gold plated pin to solder to.
    Exactly - this stuff was in wire that had a manufacured 3.5mm phono jack on the end, so sounds like the same stuff.

Like I said, I disassemble the easy2led switch housing and ran my own 24ga wiring into it to resolve the issue. I like the switch, but not the price considering I'm gutting it.

I'll start making my own switches again for future builds.

Carbon8er
    I use 20 gauge Silicon jacket wire with 90 tiny strands.

The jacket and the huge number of strands makes it super flexible and heat resistant.

Here's a shot of that wire on my web store in case you ever need some

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay View Post

I had one of these switches lying around, and wanted to try one as an external switch for the Easy2LED housing with a single cable gland coming out the back. Thanks for the heads-up- it was a monster to get these to take some solder. I finally got some connections, quickly heat-shrink wrapped them to hold them, and I guess I'll see how or if it works.

If it doesn't work I'll do what Adrenalinejunky did and tear it apart to rewire it.

I'll post pics of the build once I get XML-2s and a driver.

mtbr member
    For future reference, anybody have another source for a remote waterproof momentary switch?

Carbon8er
    If you add a rubber boot to a momentary switch in one of the Marwi external housings, you are good to go

I stock all those items

mtbr member
    Cool! I still have some of your clicky switches in external housings.
    Is this the one that works in there:

Judco NO-SPST-Mom-Tall-No Click
    Tall style - SPST - Normally Open - Momentary
    Two Push on connectors or Solder terminals
    Contacts are rated 2 amps at 14VDC
    Switch Drawing Link
    Price each = $2.50

The housings, velcro and wire you sell are pretty much ideal. Didn't know they could be converted to momentary.

Carbon8er
    I have several momentary switches that fit into that external housing

Just depends on what you need

Normally open momentary is probably the most popular

Judco NO-SPST-Mom-Tall-No Click or
    Judco NO-SPST-Mom-Short-Click

By the way, I now prefer the tall switches and boots if you have heavy winter gloves on
    It can be a bit more difficult to click the short switches and boots with big ash gloves on

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    For future reference, anybody have another source for a remote waterproof momentary switch?
    I got some PTT buttons on the 'bay. Mini DIN Plug Finger PTT Button Heavy Duty Throat Mic | eBay

The bad thing is that the wire is coated exactly as the OP described. I had to scrape it with a utility knife. The other thing to note is that the wire is really thin, so good for signal but bad for current.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borrower View Post
    I got some PTT buttons on the 'bay. Mini DIN Plug Finger PTT Button Heavy Duty Throat Mic | eBay

The bad thing is that the wire is coated exactly as the OP described. I had to scrape it with a utility knife. The other thing to note is that the wire is really thin, so good for signal but bad for current.
    Great switch, awful wire. What a pain to expose enough to solder.
    I'll let you know if mine works