Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

So I got a Toaster Oven for Valentine's Day

Time to cook some Gun-Koted Aluminum.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Haven't you usually anodized your work in the past? Does the gunkote offer something that ano doesn't

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Clean it.
    Spray it.
    Bake it.
    Fast, quick, easy. Not as tough as Ano.
    Not supposed to interfere with heat transfer.
    Just something new to try. I like it overall. If you don't want to screw with Ano this is a good way to go.

Dirt Deviant
    Looking good ODT.
    What color did you use?
    I was looking at all the different gun kote options, and there was ALOT.
    Is that the Electron Mount?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I got aToblerone and 2 kids waking us up at 6am ....yey

Your light looks fantastic . Note to self, i need to take better photo's of my lights.

I remember the last time I baked parts in my wifes oven. If my memory serves me correctly I didn't get sex for a month as punishment Are there many fumes given off?......could I get away with using my wife's oven in the kitchen again?

As a side note, looking at your driver, have you cut most of it off?
    Last edited by brad72; 02-15-2011 at 12:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Lol Brad I got similar treatment when I used the dishwasher to make some motor parts nice and clean .

My valentine pressy is a dead website and no one answering the phone at the hosting co

Looks good OT how durable is it on a scratch scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is ano

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72
    Are there many fumes given off?......could I get away with using my wife's oven in the kitchen again?
    Brad the stuff stinks like crazy as you are spraying the part but as soon as it warms up in the oven the smells go away.

odtexas, you've done a good job getting it between the fins. I have Gun Koted a few bike parts and like it a lot but I haven't done a light with it yet due to the fact that you can't simply touch up any chips of scratches without putting your light back in an oven.

Great way to get Alu bike parts in the sales as it's are usualy the colour no one wants that gets reduced in price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Looking good ODT.
    What color did you use?
    I was looking at all the different gun kote options, and there was ALOT.
    Is that the Electron Mount?
    That was the gloss black. Stuff is a little pricey though. Ano much cheaper, but alot more work.
    That's the Electron Mount. Took the top mount off and put the nut inside the light body with a little JB Weld.

Quote Originally Posted by brad72
    I got aToblerone and 2 kids waking us up at 6am ....yey

Your light looks fantastic . Note to self, i need to take better photo's of my lights.

I remember the last time I baked parts in my wifes oven. If my memory serves me correctly I didn't get sex for a month as punishment Are there many fumes given off?......could I get away with using my wife's oven in the kitchen again?

As a side note, looking at your driver, have you cut most of it off?
    You can cut the driver down to a little less than 20mm easily. Just use diagonal wire cutters.

There is some smell, but no worse than me coming in covered in cutting oil and aluminum bits. Reading gun forums some guy's commented on a lingering smell in the oven. So to stay in good graces of the wife, I opted for the toaster oven.
    Have cooked 3 batches and there is no trace of stink in the oven.
    While cooking it does smell like hot paint.
    I was more worried about the casserole coming out tasting like paint.
    I don't think there will be lingering fumes/particles in the oven, however I think the wife would taste hot paint on everything baked until she forgot about me abusing her oven.
    For peace in the house I think the toaster oven is a great investment.

Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Lol Brad I got similar treatment when I used the dishwasher to make some motor parts nice and clean .

My valentine pressy is a dead website and no one answering the phone at the hosting co

Looks good OT how durable is it on a scratch scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is ano
    Did the dishwasher thing as well. Hence the pre-planning with the toaster oven.

Ano being a 10 I would put Gunkote about a 7 or 8.

Yeti- It will scratch off, but it can be touched up by dabbing and hitting the fresh area with a heat gun.
    Last edited by odtexas; 02-15-2011 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Have more Gunkote, but am going to try this next.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Yeti- It will scratch off, but it can be touched up by dabbing and hitting the fresh area with a heat gun.
    Compared to standard type 2 anodizing or type 3?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    At home, in the garage, with a battery charger Type III.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Time to cook some Gun-Koted Aluminum
    Great! Did you use GUN-KOTE™ OVEN CURE, GUN FINISH? Unfortunately for me, they don't send outside of US.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's the one Itess.

Some of the weapons guys are just baking regular paint. Will see how that turns out in the near future.

This guy advertises Ceracote in Germany.

The specialized coatings are on the pricey side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ouch, $40
    I was hoping for something a bit cheaper. I just got a quote for $105 Type 3 hard anodizing in black for 12 quantity 5.25"x3.75"x1" 6061 assemblies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That's the one Itess.

Some of the weapons guys are just baking regular paint. Will see how that turns out in the near future.

This guy advertises Ceracote in Germany.

The specialized coatings are on the pricey side.
    Ceracote's "Thermal barrier" bothers me. I am not sure that's a good thnig for our purpose...

mtbr member
    they have one that is suposed to improve heat dissipation
    http://www.nicindustries.com/heat_dissipation.php

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bravellir
    they have one that is suposed to improve heat dissipation
    http://www.nicindustries.com/heat_dissipation.php
    Quote Originally Posted by NIC Industries, Inc.
    If you would like to shop online please contact us at 1-866-774-7628 to receive login information.
    Very convenient...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    mmlvmm used cerakote on his 7-up build.
    I had had about 20 lights powder coated. They were used all summer here in Texas without any heat issues, and the powder coating is much thicker than the Gunkote/cerakote.
    No worries though. We are all concerned about heat so do what you like. I just personally believe that we worry a little more about heat than we need.

Forgot to mention that the light is
    1-1/2" OD x 1.000" ID x .250" Wall 6061 tube extrusion
    from SpeedyMetals
    Cut on/with the Table Saw.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Forgot to mention that the light is
    1-1/2" OD x 1.000" ID x .250" Wall 6061 tube extrusion
    from SpeedyMetals
    Cut on/with the Table Saw.
    Oh, yeah, you really taught and inspired me to use a table saw as a milling/lathe

This is for not finished yet fixed lighting project

I am inclined to try Rustoleum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Itess
    I am inclined to try Rustoleum.
    I've tried Rustoleum with etch primer first and it was huge waste of time (unless you want to spend hours achieving a nice beat up/ chipped look). Didn't bake it though, I'd be sleeping outside if I tried that

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice job on the extrusion there. Looks really good.
    Any issue with that smaller table saw bogging down?
    Which is it and what blade are you using?

I did all my under cabinet lighting in the kitchen using "extra" leds and some 3 ft sections of 3/4 inch aluminum angle. Using a hyperboost and a AC/DC converter from Radio Shack.

I think the trick is in baking the Rustoleum. The AR15 article went with textured maybe just for the finished/grippy look. I have used the textured Rustoleum around the house and it puts out a thick layer.

They do have some "Fine" textured paints. Probably try that and regular Rustoleum first.

I scratch and dent my Ano lights as is. Not too worried about a perfect finish. I do like the Gunkote. Stuff is just way expensive and if Rustoleum works as/nearly well.............

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice job on the extrusion there. Looks really good.
    Any issue with that smaller table saw bogging down?
    Which is it and what blade are you using?
    This saw Table saw FET
    with the stock blade "Tungsten carbide tipped Ř 80 x 1.6 x 10mm. 24 teeth. Use on aluminium, hard wood, laminates, plastics.". There's a union for connecting to a vacuum.

I did all my under cabinet lighting in the kitchen using "extra" leds and some 3 ft sections of 3/4 inch aluminum angle. Using a hyperboost and a AC/DC converter from Radio Shack.
    There're good AC drivers from DX like this one.

I think the trick is in baking the Rustoleum. The AR15 article went with textured maybe just for the finished/grippy look. I have used the textured Rustoleum around the house and it puts out a thick layer.

They do have some "Fine" textured paints. Probably try that and regular Rustoleum first.

I scratch and dent my Ano lights as is. Not too worried about a perfect finish. I do like the Gunkote. Stuff is just way expensive and if Rustoleum works as/nearly well.............
    GunKote is not available to me. At least as spray, I don't want to buy an airbrush.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Lights done with both Rustoleum Fine Texture paint and Gunkote.

Light bodies cleaned with Dawn dish soap to remove oils. Then dipped in rubbing alcohol and wiped dry. Next light bodies are heated to 150 degrees F and sprayed with the paint/coating product.
    Let dry for 30 minutes and then bake in oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
    Rustoluem Left, Gun-Kote Right.

Brass brush used to test scratch resistance of both products after baking and cooling.

The Rustoleum resisted better against scratching.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Would have thought something called gun kote would be a little more durable?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Itess
    This is for not finished yet fixed lighting project
    BTW, I finished it. It's offtopic here, but anyway

Thanks odtexas for testing Rustoleum, I am now buying 2 toaster ovens: one for my kitchen and one for my basement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast