mtbr member
    Nov 2006

smallest waterproof momentary switch

Any advice on a small momentary switch that is waterproof (IP67?) available in US? I see a few on digikey but wanted advice from the forum. I want to build as small a housing as possible using single xml and the soon available LFlex and don't want the switch to take up too much room on the inside of housing. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sticky request: DIY parts suppliers, vendors, etc.
    Post 29

It's the sticky top thread in this forum.. My links are UK suppliers, but you can get the manufacturer and part no from the datasheets..from the links provided.
    Then search digikey etc for them..

I picked up some of these this morning http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=4954563
    Datasheet is on that link

10mm square 6.4mm high
    3CTL9 are the ones I got

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    Sticky request: DIY parts suppliers, vendors, etc.
    Post 29

It's the sticky top thread in this forum.. My links are UK suppliers, but you can get the manufacturer and part no from the datasheets..from the links provided.
    Then search digikey etc for them..

I picked up some of these this morning http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=4954563
    Datasheet is on that link

10mm square 6.4mm high
    3CTL9 are the ones I got
    Not seen them before Goldigger but they look interesting. How do you mount them - do you glue them in from the back with the button though the hole?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JezV
    Not seen them before Goldigger but they look interesting. How do you mount them - do you glue them in from the back with the button though the hole?
    Thats how i will be doing it.. seal it of with silicone around the edges, or pot it
    Once the postman brings me my bloody delrin, ill show you how ill make an inline switch..

Good example here

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ooh! That's nice! I haven't finished my current build yet and already I'm thinking about modding it

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks Goldigger, I saw the post but discounted it because of UK. I didn't think about looking at the manufacturer and searching on this side of the pond.
    As for mounting, you drill the hole just for button on top and glue(epoxy?) the body to the inside of the housing? I'll have to be careful I don't get any epoxy around the button!
    thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13
    Thanks Goldigger, I saw the post but discounted it because of UK. I didn't think about looking at the manufacturer and searching on this side of the pond.
    As for mounting, you drill the hole just for button on top and glue(epoxy?) the body to the inside of the housing? I'll have to be careful I don't get any epoxy around the button!
    thanks again.
    Yeah just run a bead of Sikaflex EBT Adhesive around the top edge of the switch. once you've wired it up you could use some potting compound to keep it water tight, thats if the switch was to sit in a small recess.
    It would be best if the switch had some sort of base to rest on, i'm just thinking if you press to hard after a while you might push the switch off the insideof the housing..hope that makes sense?
    use a strong waterproof adhesive that doesn't melt plastic and you should be ok, if your say sticking it to the inside of square tube. Sikaflex is good as its non corrosive.

I found the surface mount high temp version on digikey,
    http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/166...emp-3csh9.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13
    Digikey -> Omron
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects