Thread: SlickRock 900

mtbr member

SlickRock 900

Anyone ride the new Niterider SlickRock 900 yet? I'm getting one soon, and wondered if it's really 900 lumen...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Anyone ride the new Niterider SlickRock 900 yet? I'm getting one soon, and wondered if it's really 900 lumen...
    It's possible that it is a 900 lumen light.....Keep in mind that HID bulb's are fragile and very expensive to replace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzat3
    It's possible that it is a 900 lumen light.....Keep in mind that HID bulb's are fragile and very expensive to replace.
    Its definetly a bright light, just dont know if its 900 lumen. The advertised lumen amount isnt always right...I notice this danger in the HID bulbs, but can the protective glass (on the outside) really break that easily? I've never seen the outside of a light break...

mtbr member
    Nightrider say they measure the lumens so it probably is correct.
    Bulbs have a limited life(110$ replacement) and dont dim effectively
    Is it wise to be buying a HID right now? You can get 1000lm LED bike lights for 250US$(minus battery).
    Last edited by znomit; 08-25-2008 at 02:27 PM.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

Keep pedaling
    I haven't seen the Niterider SlickRock 900, but I noticed it is the exact same claimed lumens as the Lupine Edison HID. It may really be that bright.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/...30_130crx.aspx

http://www.lupine.de/index.php?lang=us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Is it wise to be buying a HID right now?
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    and dont dim effectively
    What does that mean? Why would I want it to dim...?

mtbr member
    Also, the SlickRock seems quite heavy, or is that just an HID thing...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Why not?
    What does that mean? Why would I want it to dim...?
    LEDs put out just as much light as HID these days but don't have a limited lifespan.

900lm is quite a lot, only needed for DH ... if you're going 15MPH half that is plenty, if you're climbing at 10MPH 200lm is plenty. LEDs let you do this (and makes the battery last much longer, or you can get away with a smaller cheaper battery).
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a L&M ARC that's a 700 watt system. The NR SlickRock is so much brighter that it's astounding. NR says "900 measured lumens," so I don't doubt they vary very much.

As to durability, the L&M has been ridden off-road for four years, and is going strong. I suspect that worries over bulb breakage is more a factor of housing quality than bulb strength.

Unfortunately, I'm cash-strapped, and need to sell the SlickRock. Fire sale pricing is $400. It's been charged up, and I used it for one urban ride, so it's essentially new. Nothing's missing from the set (helmet & bar mounts, extension cords, charger, case, etc.). If you're interested, send me a message at mtbr a tprint sour ce do torg. (I'm hoping you're smarter than spambots!) I'm in Indy, so we'll have to figure out shipping. I doubt that shipping will be over $20 for UPS Ground.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My HID system bought I dunno 4 - 5 years back, didn't last 18 hard months ( riding 2 nights per week ), I think working on the bike caused it to over heat and burnt the reflector wasting alot of output, it was great from new only a 550lumen unit to, mates HID bust within 1 year a 550lumen 70 bulb replacement.

It's not the glass that breaks its the filament inside, means they are surrounded by a big heavy bung of rubber to let the bulb take knocks aswell, so not light.

Stick to LED's personally, won't be going HID Again, prefered a indestructible 80lumen LED Head torch over the tempermental HID back when it worked.

mtbr member
    I have two Niterider HID lights and the negatives are: heavy light head, annoying blue color of the light, limited dimming options, fragile bulb (broken reflector on one of mine), warm up time from when you push the power button to when it reaches full power, hitting bumps cause the lights to flicker badly, NR connectors are annoying, expensive replacement parts, my NR battery bloated up like a blowfish after my last charge.

I don't use my NR HIDs any more and sit in a box right now. I replaced them with LED lights which solve most of the problems I had with the HIDs. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the NR HID. Get an equivalent output LED light and enjoy the benefits that they offer over HID.

Edit: Didn't realize this was an old thread dug up until I already posted, but still what I posted might be helpful to someone considering HID now.
    Last edited by MaximusHQ; 06-19-2009 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thides74

Thanks, I didn't know they had a review up. The Slickrock 900 beam shot looks about what I would expect it to. Basically the same as my old NR HID beams, but brighter. They still have the weird rings in the beam that look like halos and purple blue colors that are especially noticeable in the rings. The best looking beams for HID IMO where the ARC and the Edison.