AirMartin
    Oct 2008

for single track - NiteRider MiNewt Mini-USB Plus versus Classic Plus

Hello Riders! - I can buy the classic plus used in good shape or for the same money (+/- $100) or go LED . The reviews are really good for the classic on single track and downhill 3 years ago ; LED is better...but the newt may not cut it for single track normal to damp conditions.

I can spend around $150 - any better new LED options?

Thanks, Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Forget the USB, that is a puny commuter light.
    The classic could be a great choice, if
    1. you can get it cheap (I mean, real cheap) and
    2. you're not bothered by the weight
    3. you're not bothered by the short runtime.
    12+20 watts of halogen is great, it's comparable to the current 3-4 led systems (apart from the color, runtime and lifetime of course).
    Although as I can see it is two bulbs in one lighthead, which is not so good, because for singletrack you need two separate lights (one for the bar, one for the helmet) to get optimal vision.
    If you are short on money, but accept non-elegant solutions, get two torches from DX, they vary in build quality, and are a hassle to deal with (charge 18650 cells individually, etc), but currently for the price they are unbeatable in brightness. Two P7 or MCE torches are all you need really. Even a Cree Q5 or similar torch would do well.
    Dedicated bike lights still cost a lot more than that, eg. a Dinotte 200L dual is still around 300 bucks, an Exposure Joystick is around 200 (and you need two), etc. But of course you get what you pay for, eg. excellent customer service, proper warranty, build quality and reliability.
    You have to decide what your priorities are and act accordingly :-) If I were in your shoes I'd buy the halogen, and order a Q5 torch from DX...

AirMartin
    Oct 2008
    Thank You!!!

AirMartin
    Oct 2008
    a few questions:

1. Is DX; DealExtreme website or a manufacturer?

2. Does "non-elegant' solutions mean that I duct tape a flashlight to my helmet or bars? Not that I'm against it, I just want to make sure that I know what you are referring to.

3. Is $90 a good price for rarely used and kept in good condition with good charging practices (so I'm told)?

Thanks again for your help! Jeff