mtbr member

Simple Light - "The Miner" build videos

Just finished a few videos about the build of a simple light that I assembled called The Miner.

The build is very simple and I believe it can be achieved by a lot of people and doesn’t require complex or hard to get tools.

The main reason is because it’s intended to use low power leds and thus, the housing doesn’t need to be metallic since there isn't that much heat to dissipate.

The final result is a unit that is very light, small, has a good run time ( about 6 hours with a 250l R2 ), it’s cheap and it’s easy to build. It has a good throw and it's perfect for a helmet light.

Parts and tools list and a few more photos:

Last edited by bravellir; 06-11-2010 at 02:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    With nothing to transmit the heat from the pill to the outside...I think the R2 will eventually cook. It's kinda like a little oven inside the plastic housing...insulating everything.

I have a little UniqueFire R5 XP-G flashlight and the limited contact that the P60 drop-in has with the body still transmits enough heat for the whole flashlight to get "warm". With nothing to carry heat away from the drop-in...I suspect dinner is served.

mtbr member
    I know what you mean and that was something that I feared. But we've being using these units since 01/2009 and none had failed so far. A lot of hours on the trails
    I'm using the DX drop-ins with the original drivers. I never actually measured but I’m sure that the r2's are being under driven. That means that they don't output nothing near to the 250l. Maybe 100-150?? Really don't know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you're getting 6hrs runtime...then they're getting underdriven indeed. If you've been using them for 1.5yrs...then they are a proven design and quite DIY friendly for even the noob'est of noobs. Clean look.

Fine work!

Beamshots?

mtbr member
    tks

I don't have beamshots... yet