mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Sigma Powerled Black battery

Greetings, for my first post:
    I have a Sigma Powerled Black edition that runs on AA batteries, but there is the option to take out the AA casing part and turn it to a much smaller thing I could use on my helmet. Only need to plug it to a Sigma IION battery, but they are way too expensive!!!

I have been looking for the battery specs or maybe a DIY guide to make a battery for this and also a mount to put it on the helmet (battery and light...).

Any thoughts on this that can help me? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The Sigma website is useless, but I found this here on MTBR: Sigma PowerLED Black - review.

Looks like 2 18650 cells connected in series would work well and looks like that may be exactly what the Iion battery pack is.

I would recommend these: $17.35 Panasonic NCR18650B 18650 3.7V 3400mAH Protected Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (2-Pack) 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Those are some of the best batteries around. You would need to sort out the wiring and get a battery holder. You would also need a charger for the batteries.

You could also go to a place like Batteries Plus and have the weld up a 2s 18650 set, but you will still need a charger.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I came across that thread too but I really can't understand too much of it! I don't know a lot of wiring diagrams and voltage, etc...
    But I am willing to learn...
    As I understand, I would need a 7.4v battery (or more than one totaling 7.4v), Li Ion.
    With mAH it is essentially my pick because this just defines capacity for the battery, right? The higher mAH the longer burn time will be, is this correct?

If I buy one of these:
    18650 2S1P NCM 7 4V 2200mAh Lithium Li ion Battery Pack with PCM Side by Side | eBay

or maybe

18650 2S2P 7 4V 4400mAh NCM Lithium Li ion Battery Pack with PCM Square Shape | eBay

Would these work? Provided I could have a charger for these?

What about if I have a higher voltage battery? I have a 8.4v 6400mAh Battery Pack, would this work or would the high voltage just burn the led?

Also where can I find the plug fit for the back side of the powerled?

Any ideas on how to secure this light to an helmet?

Sorry for all the questions!!! I am kind of new to this world of lights...

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You want to stay away from higher voltages because the board is not made to handle them. Anything 7.4 volt will be good. Of those 2, I would choose the second.... but of those 2, I would actually buy neither one as there is a good chance they are crap.

$1.76 2*18650 Battery Case with Lead Wires at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping (a holder to go with the batteries I posted above).

That holder and the batteries I posted are going to be a good combo. Just use the box in the series configuration (the diagram on the case has both series and parallel shown).
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    For the connector, I can't really help you with that because I don't know what is compatible with the light. And the helmet mount? Looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like anything special, but I don't really see anything on Fasttech that would work. Asking in the normal light section (not the DIY) may turn up better results for your as this light is not really a DIY light, so there are better chances of you finding another actual owner to see what they did.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    You want to stay away from higher voltages because the board is not made to handle them. Anything 7.4 volt will be good.
    A 2S li-ion or li-poly is nominal 7.4V. Fresh off a charger it will be 8.4V. That drops under load pretty quickly. Often battery manufacturers put the max voltage value instead of nominal as a marketing aid. mAh ratings are often done the same way. They'll quote a number obtained at a very low current draw as it will be a bigger number. Big numbers sell better to uninformed buyers.

If your 8.4V pack is li-ion it would work in this light and give that little light a really long run time. You'll want figure out if your pack has overdischarge protection. About 5.6V is as low as you want to go with that pack. If it is Nimh (7S) you can use that too with no worries about overdischarge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Thanks for all the input! The links to batteries I posted above were just to confirm my ideas on voltages and mAh.
    As I already have a battery with those specs I am going to try it first! Just need to solve my connector problem but I think I can do it in a local electronics shop near my home!
    Let's see if it will work!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Success!!! Just needed to make a custom cable with the specific connections and that was it!

Thank you for all the help!