Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    "You want to do WHAT???!!

Listen! Should I buy an Edge 305?

I am currrently using a basic ($25.00) wireless bike computer that likes to shift around whenever I get into a little brush, etc. and I also use a Polar HRM. I have been looking at the threads on the Edge 305 and it sounds like a good single unit that would keep me from having to deal with different transducers, etc. I do have a Garmin Etrex Legend CX that I use for navigating roads and carry backpacking.

Does the 305 have a mapping capability? Can I download street and topography maps into it? Does the HRM strap allow me to change batteries (or send it off to the manufacturer for a new battery like Polar?)

What would you recommend?

trail rat
    No, if you browse this forum, you will find many posts about those of us that have them and love them so much that we cannot even think about riding without them. Beware!

And don't even think about buying one from GeoMan, a fine member of MTBR, whose incredible service is out of this world. Beware!

Don't browse this forum for Edge 305, run and bury your head under the pillow while you can!

Beware, beware, danger, danger! You have been warned!

It is a fitness computer and not a mapping GPS (you can upload tracks but not maps). And be warned, you will need a truly exotic tool called a quarter (exorbitant cost/value of 25 cents USD) to change batteries. Beware!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

You are so convincing, you should go into politics!!

OK, thanks for the insights....guess I will just have to order one. Can anyone beat GEOMAN's price....sure looks good to me!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashGordon
    OK, thanks for the insights....guess I will just have to order one. Can anyone beat GEOMAN's price....sure looks good to me!!
    Not much I could add to slocaus' arguments against the 305. Besides pointing out that you will lose the clutter/hassle of separate computer and HRM and have to contend with graphs that show heart rate and elevation or grade at the same time. You'll spend too much time reliving how tough that killer climb was!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a different mindset to the 305. For me it is a a worthwhile tool for fitness. I am no where as young as I was and dont have the motivation or energy to keep at it and this helps me get out there and challange myself more each time out.

If you have the money and like gadgets - Go For It, your money enjoy it....
    Happy Trails,

Jim T

2007 IBEX Asta Expert X-9

GeoMan
    We'd love to sell you one so you, too, can see for yourself how great they are.

We've sold somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500 of them (so far) and have had only ONE returned for a refund - from someone who received it as a Christmas gift and didn't want it...

Thanks for your consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    No, if you browse this forum, you will find many posts about those of us that have them and love them so much that we cannot even think about riding without them. Beware!

And don't even think about buying one from GeoMan, a fine member of MTBR, whose incredible service is out of this world. Beware!

Don't browse this forum for Edge 305, run and bury your head under the pillow while you can!

Beware, beware, danger, danger! You have been warned!

It is a fitness computer and not a mapping GPS (you can upload tracks but not maps). And be warned, you will need a truly exotic tool called a quarter (exorbitant cost/value of 25 cents USD) to change batteries. Beware!
    Aw gee! I cannot believe how loyal some of you are. Customers like slocaus make the GeoMan effort a worthwhile endeavor - truly. Thanks!!!!

I just saw this post...

Thank you Geoman! Incredible service indeed!

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Smile Toys for aged technofarts

I can understand that perspective and since I am going to use the bike to trim down a few inches, anything that will make me get on the bike more is a help. Ordered a 305 from Geoman this morning.

GeoMan
    I can understand that perspective and since I am going to use the bike to trim down a few inches, anything that will make me get on the bike more is a help. Ordered a 305 from Geoman this morning.
    Before there was GeoMan, I decided the same thing.

I ordered up an Edge Bundle in February, 2006 and starting riding - hard. Keeping track of my heart rate and tracking progress was very important to a clydesdale who had dropped out of cycling about a decade before.

I lost 28 pounds and rode 5,000 trail miles that first year. Within a few weeks of getting the Edge I knew Garmin had something great going on. Here was the seed for GeoMan.

BTW, I'm a clyde no more. Much of the motivation for riding rests on the shoulders of my Edge. Frankly, I can't leave home without it.

Thanks, Crash (and everybody else), for your support. We sincerely appreciate it.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

LBS Manager

Mine is a POS

The first one I had kept losing its track that one was replaced and the new one freezes up all the time.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    The first one I had kept losing its track that one was replaced and the new one freezes up all the time.
    Johnny,

Is there anything we (GeoMan) can do to help you rectify the problem? We are glad to help and have quite a bit of experience with the Edge. Send me an IM with your contact info and I will call you to discuss.

Best,
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi, I would like to order one. As I live in United Kingdom what is the difference between USA and European version, is it only AC power adapter? I suppose it's configurable whether you're miles, feet, AM/PM, or km., meters???

Thanks

GeoMan
    The AC adapter is 110/240 so all you need is the plug adapter. The Edge can be set to display metric measurements easily.

Thanks!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks, do you sell them as well or where can I get them, I suppose every TV shop should store them?

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xbiker
    Thanks, do you sell them as well or where can I get them, I suppose every TV shop should store them?
    I honestly never plug it into the wall anymore. I use mine about 2.5 hours a day, and because I use MotionBased pretty religiously, I just plug my Edge into my laptop with the USB cable and leave it there overnight or while I'm at the office.

This may not be a Garmin-sanctioned approach, but since most Motorola cell phones use USB chargers, I've used one of those in a pinch with good luck. My wife and I both have RAZRs and I've had no issues using the wall charger from one of them if I needed to.

HTH

italian globetrotter
    Aug 2006

Smile motorola razor v3 and garmin edge 305 recharger compatibility

long title but something i was wondering about...
    another question: the garmin PC cable is a normal min-usb cable??

anyone tried??

ciao

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by michelefiorentin

anyone tried??

ciao
    Haven't tried but the Edge PC cable IS a mini-USB.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by michelefiorentin

anyone tried??
    I mentioned using the RAZR charger in a prior post. Seems to work for me, but I can't attest to whether it's supported by Garmin or not. The RAZRs in question are both V3s.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” - H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Yes, I use my RAZR charger all the time to charge my 305. It works fine. In fact, GeoMan sells a battery extender that can be used to charge both the RAZR and the 305.

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...products_id=28

Obviously, yet another plug for GeoMan (no affiliation, blah blah blah...)

David

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by tongaroo
    Yes, I use my RAZR charger all the time to charge my 305. It works fine. In fact, GeoMan sells a battery extender that can be used to charge both the RAZR and the 305.

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...products_id=28

Obviously, yet another plug for GeoMan (no affiliation, blah blah blah...)

David

David who?

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Does the Garmin 305 produce nice graphs on your computer after your training ride that plot speed, altitude, heart rate, distance over time, etc. all on one graph like the polar watches do?

Thanks.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jank
    Does the Garmin 305 produce nice graphs on your computer after your training ride that plot speed, altitude, heart rate, distance over time, etc. all on one graph like the polar watches do?

Thanks.
    Yes it does, Jank.

There are dozens of software options for the Edge including the one that comes with it, Garmin's Training Center and a subscription based service owned by Garmin - Motionbased (www.motionbased.com)

Mac versions are now available too.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Geoman, i just ordered a 305 from you. Very excited to get it asap. Please include the powerbar rebate if possible. Thanks, Chris Janiak

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    so i'm in REI yesterday looking at the Edge 305 and the counter guy says Edge 305 didn't have maps.

so if you use an Edge 305, do you still have to carry a regular GPS to tell where you are at relative to street names?

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jank
    Geoman, i just ordered a 305 from you. Very excited to get it asap. Please include the powerbar rebate if possible. Thanks, Chris Janiak
    Done!

Long ago!

Thanks!!!!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by mappable
    so i'm in REI yesterday looking at the Edge 305 and the counter guy says Edge 305 didn't have maps.

so if you use an Edge 305, do you still have to carry a regular GPS to tell where you are at relative to street names?
    Remember, the Edge is a "GPS enhanced training computer"...

The Edge does not have maps, per se. You can visualize your position on the screen and certainly follow your path back, plus you can load trails created by others but you won't find any landmarks, topo maps, or placenames on the Edge 305 (or 205, for that matter).

If you want to get serious about mapping and training (using GPS), I recommend this setup (or similar):

Ride on!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast