Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    37

    Several Questions/Comments

    I've mostly been lurking on this forum and others like it, but I've got a few questions on my build.

    My current build is:
    BuckPuck, 1000mA 3023-D-E
    Cool-White 1-Up EndorStar
    20mm Plain Tight Carclo (8.7 deg)
    20mm Frosted Narrow (12 deg)
    various copper piping

    Does any parts supplier offer optics for 3-up stars that are less than 12 degrees? Mostly I've seen 20-25 degree optics and that translates to 40-50 degrees actual beam patten since they give the measurement from the center-out rather than total beam angle.

    Also, why is everyone using cree q5's rather than luxeon endorstar rebels? the specs and everything is just about equal, only differences i see are view angle (90 degrees vs 120 degrees) and price (luxeons are about $2-3 cheaper).

    I'll post some pictures up this friday if I get it all done. Should be a really simple setup. Anyone try using yellow lenses/filters? I would think it would cut through fog and perhaps make you more noticeable to cars (white lights from a distance look like marker lights or street lights).

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    754
    In the Cree line of LEDs, most of the focus seems to be on the XPE and XPG r3, r4, and r5 bins now.

    It's easy to see why if you compare the specs between the rebel and the XPG.

    Flux at 350ma 105 vs 139

    it gets much more interesting at 1000ma because the rebel only has a 2.25 vs the 2.5 multiplier for the XPG

    Flux at 1000ma 236 vs 347

    The XPG is also rated up to 1500ma for a flux output of 450 lumens. That's double the max output of the rebel.

    The bare LED beam angle doesn't really make much difference if you're using secondary optics.

  3. #3
    Lets RIDE!
    Reputation: Jim Z in VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,548
    Last I checked the only optic available for those triple endor stars was that 25 optic.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    In the Cree line of LEDs, most of the focus seems to be on the XPE and XPG r3, r4, and r5 bins now.

    It's easy to see why if you compare the specs between the rebel and the XPG.

    Flux at 350ma 105 vs 139

    it gets much more interesting at 1000ma because the rebel only has a 2.25 vs the 2.5 multiplier for the XPG

    Flux at 1000ma 236 vs 347

    The XPG is also rated up to 1500ma for a flux output of 450 lumens. That's double the max output of the rebel.

    The bare LED beam angle doesn't really make much difference if you're using secondary optics.
    Yeah I was looking at the XPG a few days ago, the output is nice. Just tried out a rough setup using only 1 rebel. Had three power settings and 1000ma is almost too bright to use on the streets. I've got a narrow optic on it, but I might try adding a lens or reflector. Lumen output is getting ridiculous- I can't imagine needing much more than my single rebel puts out. I guess it helps that I'm not doing XC or DH

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Z in VT
    Last I checked the only optic available for those triple endor stars was that 25 optic.
    Well I meant any 3-up, I like the compact design, but I can't seem to find any optics. Probably not really what the engineers had in mind...

  5. #5
    Lets RIDE!
    Reputation: Jim Z in VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by klohiq
    Well I meant any 3-up, I like the compact design, but I can't seem to find any optics. Probably not really what the engineers had in mind...
    If you're OK with a 35mm triple, there are excellent optics available for those. I've built a couple triple XR-Es with the Ledil Cute-3-SS optic....nice smooth narrow beam. And I think it was Macgyver that showed us his collection of cute-3 based lights, with XR-E and XP-E &/or G leds.

    For the 20mm XP-G triple, the word is the narrowest optic is still too wide. Might be OK on the XP-E though?? Haven't tried them myself.

    JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •