mtbr member

Series connecting different leds question

As the title would there be any problems connecting in series say
    1 MTG2 (6 volt /3amps ) with 1 or 2 XMLs (3 volts / 3 amps )

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    No problems. In series voltages add. current remains the same over all of the LEDs. You can take single MT-G as 2 series XM-Ls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Double post

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Triple post

mtbr member
    Cheers Toaster
    Cheers Toaster
    Cheers Toaster

Betcha cant see where this is going

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You're building another mother of all lights? Where else would it go, when you ask the question I'd say MT-G2 in 80mm reflector and 2 XM-Ls in a tad smaller reflectors?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster79 View Post
    You're building another mother of all lights? Where else would it go, when you ask the question I'd say MT-G2 in 80mm reflector and 2 XM-Ls in a tad smaller reflectors?
    Close
    thinking MTG2 and 2 XMLs in the same 80 mm reflector

was thinking 2 MTG2s but at nearly 10 mm that wont work as need one to be dead centre

and just been reading up the specs since IRV_USC suggested the MTG2 and at over 1500 lumens why are we not using them instead of XMLs

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They are HUGE. Who wants 90-100mm diameter light head on a bicycle? G2 goes up to 1800 lumens in 5000K color temp. I've been considering building a light around this LED, but never really found a normal size reflector. 50mm would be about the biggest for my taste, but that would be quiet a floody one, so instead of single 80mm reflector I'd rather have two 40mm ones with XM-Ls. But that's just me.
    But, on the other hand, I might order a few pieces and some different reflectors and just see what works best. Still have some round 6061-T6 stock left to build some toys.

An Idea crossed my mind a while ago, when I saw Cree CXA2011 on cutter's web site. It's 40W domeless emitter, but Vf is 40-48V so, the driver would be PITA to find (obviously boost). When dedoming LEDs in reflectors there's increase of throw, so a domeless reflector would throw further in that 80mm reflector.

edit: Mixing color tints might give you some funky color shifting in the beam.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I saw something over on candle power forums about the mt-g2 being generally used very conservatively and under driven but being capable of over 2600 lumen. I think it with an 80mm reflector could make a great automotive/moto light especially in 4000k. The various voltage options are interesting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Tee hee. glad to see someone with skills is looking into the mt-g2 as a candidate, even as experiment.

From the specs it seems like a single mt-g2 would make a great light. There are even several different optics for it that would give you different shaped beams from a single emitter.

by the way, what got me interested in that emitter is a post on candlepowerforums talking about 2500+ lumens out the chip. yes it's an array but you can still get a smooth beam.

30mm carclo optics for mt-g2: Cree MT–G2 & Carclo Optics

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    30mm carclo optics for mt-g2: Cree MT–G2 & Carclo Optics
    With the tightest version at 22.5 degree FWHM it's too floody for a mt bike light IMO. Get that down to less than 10 degrees and you'll have something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    With the tightest version at 22.5 degree FWHM it's too floody for a mt bike light IMO. Get that down to less than 10 degrees and you'll have something.
    ... might be possible (p. 16)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrradlos View Post
    ... might be possible (p. 16)
    Beautiful beam but it's back to an 80mm reflector. Larger than I want to build with