Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Seca 700 or Dinotte 800

With 400-450 dollars to spend which set up do you like better for singletrack use?

L&M Seca 700 mounted on helmet
    Dinotte 800 mounted on helmet
    Dinotte 400 dual mounted on bars and helmet

Cost for the Seca is slightly higher but I seem to be drawn to it.
    I like the dual set up but not sure if two 400Ls will equal the brightness of a single 800 lumen light.

Powered by ice cream.
    Subscribe.

bi-winning

no need to enter a message.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Subscribe.

...personally, for singletrack, i want a helmet light, a lightweight helmet light. If a single lightweight helmet light is not enough light, add another light to the bars.

aka, I vote for 400Lx2.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'll add option 4 and suggest the AYUP MTB kit. They are superlight and put out great light. The bar and helmet combo is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What do you mean subscribe?

mtbr member
    I'd go dual 400s. Or when I win the lottery 800 on helmet with a narrow optic and seca on bars.

actually lotto is 30million this week so I'd pay a helicopter pilot to ride above me with a billion candlepower spot.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    He is subscribing to this thread since he is interested in the responses. I prefer one bright light on the helmet and would probably go for the Seca but not if it were considerably heavier than the 800L. I would guess the Seca has better peripheral light since L&M values that quite a bit.

400L isnlt enough for me so I'd look at the other two and compare weight. That may give one the edge if there is a 20 + gram weight advantage. I'd also consider the beam pattern. I'm guessing here based on the products from both these companies but the Seca will probably have better peripheral light. If true, that would give it the edge.

The distance that the light travel effectively will probably be pretty close. I'm just getting back into the diff lights and have little experience with these two so will hope that others have hands-on experience.

For the ultimate setup I'd go with two lights but 400L isn't good enough for me. The 600L barely does it though a dual 600L would be fine. For one light, I prefer a minimum of 700-800 lumens and for two lights, each one has to be ~600 and up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Have not seen the Dinotte lights, but I would use a Seca 700 on the handlebars. Why? Because when you only use a light on your helmet, you don't see any shadows in the terrain.

This is the Seca 700 on max:

9 feet to the first cone, then 9 feet apart. 50 yards to the pole.

Canon 30D on tripod, 30mm Focal length.
    Whitbalance daylight, RAW..
    4 second exposure, aperture 8, ISO 800.
    Picture is not tweaked in PS, direct from iPhoto to Picasaweb.

(Picture: GGeir Anders Rybakken ěrslien)
    Last edited by C. Alshus; 10-13-2008 at 12:55 PM.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Alshus
    Have not seen the Dinotte lights, but I would use a Seca 700 on the handlebars. Why? Because when you only use a light on your helmet, you don't see any shadows in the terrain.
    But seeing shadows in front of you is useless if you cannot see around the 180 degree switchback.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Agreed- I can;t use a bar-only light either....even when I know the trails pretty well. I have to peek around boulers and tight bling switchbacks before my handlebars are turned that way. Even with huge spill/peripheral light, the bar light can't go past high obstacles till yoru bike is turnerd around it and I need to see what's ahead before that happens.

The trails in the Midwest may be twisty but those are rideable with a bar light- been there and done that. I still prefer a helmet-only light but when I moved to Colorado, a bar-only light is asking for trouble. My x-ray vision is getting worse as I age....I use a helmet and bar light but am/was fine with a helmet-only light as long as it has enough peripheral light.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    The trails in the Midwest may be twisty but those are rideable with a bar light- been there and done that.
    Quite the generalization there isn't it? I by no means have ridden "all" trails in midwest, or any other region, but, I do find it highly annoying when horrible stereotypes like that come up.
    Especially for those of us who like to ride a wheelie now and again, or manual a dip, bunny-hop a log, etc., etc. Whether riding a fire-road, or switchback, a bar mount won't serve any purpose when aiming to the sky.
    ...sorry, had to rant... reminder to keep an open mind.

And on topic, IMO, I would not run the Seca 700 as a helmet mount... too big and tall. Same with 800l I think, although I've yet to see one of those first-hand.
    But, if you're going for a bar-light, the optics of that Seca 700 are pretty awesome...

Just from your list, I'd probably go dual 400l. Great price, extremely versatile set-up, comes with wide and narrow lenses, vertical or horizontal mounts, helmet mount, two batteries of your choice, etc. And, later on down the road, if you decide to go for another light from Dinotte, everything is compatible if you simply want to purchase a solo 800l or 600l light engine (delete charger, battery) which can save you some cash. (and you can even get their head strap and use the light while backpacking/camping/hunting/etc.!)
    Or if you could swing it now, 600l bar/400l helmet. Not too much more than a single Seca.

Or, another great option in the same $500 range, you could also consider ordering two of those NiteFlux Photon Max lights ($249USD each). Now that would be some serious output for the price! I kind of looked into it myself. One helmet (although I'm quite unsure of size), and one bar-mount.

You can also look at the offerings from Hope... (although reviews seem to be hit or miss), but their new "Vision 2" apparantly uses similar set-up and same LED's as Dinotte 400l. But, their battery run-time is shorter than 400l, and if you get two of the Epic with larger batteries, you're looking at over $600USD. yikes.

If you're looking in that $500 range and would consider a solo light, I'd also take a gander at one of those iBlaast II, or the Exposure Max (for bar).
    I'm not too sure what the AYUP is, brewer90, can you elaborate?

Anyway, keep us updated, I'd be interested to hear which route you take. I'm currently running a wilma 7 on my helmet, and soon to be trying some of those cheap MTE P7 torches on the bars to replace old halogen... but, my girlfriend is in somewhat of a similar situation as you, also looking at the dual 400l's (which I would swipe for my bars when she's not riding, haha! ), and a local shop owner I know just swapped all of his HID stuff out for the new Seca 700 and a Stella 200.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and ordered the Seca 700 from REI using their 20% off deal for members. I think I will give it a try on the helmet for now and see how it goes. If I do not like it on the helmet I will probably move it to the bars and look into a small light for the helmet.

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Alshus

This is the Seca 700 on max:

9 feet to the first cone, then 9 feet apart. 50 yards to the pole.

Canon 30D on tripod, 30mm Focal length.
    Whitbalance daylight, RAW..
    4 second exposure, aperture 8, ISO 800.
    Picture is not tweaked in PS, direct from iPhoto to Picasaweb.

(Picture: GGeir Anders Rybakken ěrslien)
    this is the best test photo of Seca 700. I really like it. I will buy it for sure. It looks brighter than Dinotte 400L.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A flat trail can be ridden more easily with a bar light- that's all I'm saying. I'd much rather just have a helmet light- on ANY trail. Here in Colorado, just having a bar light would be suicidal. I now use two but if I had one, I'd always opt for it on the bar.

The Seca beam looks pretty good. I hope to get my hands on one to see how it compares to my Wilma....just to compare. I'm finally done with light UGI...I'm 99% sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI

Or, another great option in the same $500 range, you could also consider ordering two of those NiteFlux Photon Max lights ($249USD each). Now that would be some serious output for the price! I kind of looked into it myself. One helmet (although I'm quite unsure of size), and one bar-mount.

where can you get the niteflux for 250?

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeitz
    where can you get the niteflux for 250?

chainreaction... (who actually has great international rep. and service.)

they've got a few other hard to get items too, like schwalbe tires for example, which are currently near impossible to find in NA due to low stock.

Hey, just looked again myself... Price actually dropped another $3USD on about everything there... this market is insanely unpredictable. Didn't expect it would effect ordering from CRC that quickly though.
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 10-14-2008 at 08:04 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Flaccid Member
    Good thing we ride in areas other than Colorado... 38 million folks here in California, not many of our mountain bike trails are flat, and a br mount with wide angle lense LED's plus a few throwers on the helmet seems to be what I see on most of my night rides by the really sick, fast, crazy riders that like to go OTB. The more sedate among us with common sense slow down and get by just fine with handlebar mounted wide angle flood type lights with 4 to just under 600 claimed lumens.

I've no doubt that the L & M is a fine light... they strive for best in class, but they are priced on the medium high side... still a better value than Lupine. Their ARC HID was the best HID I've ever ridden behind, but if you crashed and broke a Welsh Allyn Mini HID bulb, the replacement was about $130 for the HID and ballast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It really isn't a question of flat trails. Here is what I find- here in CO, a lot of the trails have steep and tight switchbacks or fast turns but the view around many is obstructed by boulders or the side of the mountain itself. While I could ride with just a bar light on the twisty trails in Kansas City, I find it really hard to do that here without having too many "oh no" moments. It seems that the light beam is obstructed more and if I don't have my helmet light on, I can't see around turns well enough or rather, fast enough.

Almost every single-light rider here (that I know and see) uses a helmet-mounted light...for good reason. And no, we don't slow down much at night or you fall behind too much and then every noise makes one think about Mountain Lions and the errant Bear. No reason to slow down if the lights are bright enough and one has a helmet-mounted light as well. We ride at about the same speed- day or night. Forced slow rides are pointless. I climb slow enough.

A trail like Green Mountain can be done with a bar-only light but not too many trails here are that wide and open.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    if you dont have bar and helmet lights your "off the back"

He be a moose too.
    I do a fair amount of night riding in the midwest and there is no way I'd only go with a bar light on any but the easiest trails. I was in a race on Friday night where there were numerous switchbacks with 6 foot diameters, no way to possibly do those a bar light only. So much of the midwest's trails are very twisty and a helmet mount is a must. I have a L&M Arc and am trying to decide whether to take a trade in (1/2 price) for a Seca.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's also nice to have two lights in case one of them fails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    I'm not too sure what the AYUP is, brewer90, can you elaborate?

AYUPs are LED lights from Australia but they have a US office and make the rounds at some of the 24 hour races. Each light head is a twin LED setup putting out 300 lumens. The three hour battery is super small - 2.5" x 1.5" x .75" and only weighs 100 grams including the neoprene pouch. The light is only 60 grams. Both of them on your helmet is less than just the lights of most other brands. I bought the MTB kit which comes with an intermediate light for the bars and a narrow for the helmet, a 6 hr battery, two three hour batterys, an AC charger and a 12V car charger. You can charge two batteries at once. There is no dimming or strobe option. The lights are just lights and come with a 10yr warranty. Both of them together provide plenty of light. They are simple and get the job done. They were reviewed in the MTBR light shootout but the LEDs are now Crees and are much brighter than the beamshots in the shootout which were Luxeons.

http://www.ayup.com.au/lighting.php

Woodlot local
    If it was one light. I'd go with the L&M Seca, but 2 lights are better than one in most cases. Therefore I'd go with dual 400s

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think L&M seca 700 has the best beam pattern for both helmet and handlebar mount. but it's still not as bright as 800L. and with 800L/400L package for $449. best deal so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawdaddy
    With 400-450 dollars to spend which set up do you like better for singletrack use?

L&M Seca 700 mounted on helmet
    Dinotte 800 mounted on helmet
    Dinotte 400 dual mounted on bars and helmet

Cost for the Seca is slightly higher but I seem to be drawn to it.
    I like the dual set up but not sure if two 400Ls will equal the brightness of a single 800 lumen light.

Dinotte is having a special deal now. You can get the 800L and the 400L for $450-$500 depending on the options. http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...unt2=447776436

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast