mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Seca 400 vs 700 Race

I am the fortunate owner of both a Seca 700 Race and Seca 400 (ok so one of them is actually my wife's). I thought I would share my comparisons for all:

The beam pattern of these two lights is almost identical, although the 700 does not have as much of a hotspot in the centre, compared to the 400. The 700 is a bit brighter, and projects further, although the difference is not exactly overwhelming.

The major difference between these two lights is the colour. The 400 emits a bluish/white light, as I expected from an LED. However, the 700 emits a very yellow beam. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm almost wondering if there is something defective, because the difference between the two beams is quite striking. I have a friend with the 400, and his light is also bluish/white. I wish I could compare my 700 with someone else, because this yellow light is really strange to me.

Also, to dispense with the rumour once and for all: Using the 700 battery in the Seca 400 does not change it's light output... at least not visibly, although it would presumably burn for twice as long. Conversely, I guess you could use the 400 battery on the 700 to save weight if you were just going for a quick rip.

I did try using both together (one on the bar, one on the helmet). It was ridiculously bright and I had to be careful not to point them at my dog for fear of blinding him!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for clearing up the 400/700 misinformation.

Too bad, I would have loved to buy a 400 and use it with my ARC battery, and get the 700 light output.

mtbr member
    The 700 is known to be yellow..strange that the 400 isn't the same though.
    Some pics in here Seca 700 or Dinotte 800

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    The 700 is known to be yellow..strange that the 400 isn't the same though.
    Some pics in here Seca 700 or Dinotte 800
    I assume that they use different LEDs for both lights?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That is correct, I contacted L&M tech, and they told me that the LED's used in the 400 are "detuned" compared to the 700. Even the tech was surprised by my claim that the light was yellow, but you can certainly see it in the shots from the linked thread.

When you look at the seca LED's (obviously when they're not turned on), they look equally yellow in both models. Really, the 700 only looks yellow compared to the 400, or another white LED. Compared to a halogen or HID, the 700 looks pretty white still.