Custom User Title

Running light off of a UTV?

I have a question. Im getting a Kawasaki Mule for deer lease, around the house, work use, and all that jazz. During deer season Ill be driving quite a bit in dark. Im sure the lights on it are fine, however I like lots of light. What I was thinking of doing to save myself a bit of money is instead of buying a light for it, I could just use my NiteRider 3600. I'm sure there's a bar up top on the roll cage I can attach it to.

But what I'm thinking of doing, is instead of having to use my battery, I was wondering if there's a way I could make something an wire it into the UTV battery so I wouldn't have to worry about a dead battery. In actuality, the battery that comes with the light would be more than enough as the drive to where ever I need to go is less than 15 minutes, however its just a convenience thing to not have to take the battery off to charge it, then reattach it every time.

Would this be possible to do, or would it harm the light in any way?
    Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

mtbr member
    I believe the battery is only 7.4V (8.2V fully charged) so the UTV battery might damage the light circuitry. I have no idea what circuitry they are using on the niterider lights but I wouldnt risk it. It is also possible that you could get voltage spikes on an automotive type setup that could cause damage.

Custom User Title
    That's what I needed to know. I guess Ill either stop being a little cheap and get a dedicated light or just use the battery. Either one.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Doesn't change the answer but typo on voltage, should have been 8.4V fully charged. I forgot how to add.

You might check out Rigid Industries. They make some high quality off road lights.

Also check out Illumination Supply. Their light bars look like Rigid copies. Don't know anything about them other than what is on their website. I've been eyeing them for use as a host light and replace the guts with better components. No idea how good or reliable they are though.

Custom User Title
    Ive heard nothing but good about Rigid. Ive been going back and forth on getting one or not getting one. I'll look into a dedicated light system. Ive been eyeing that 20" light double row light bar for a while anyway. Isnt too much on Amazon. I'll just do that.