Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens

Lots of positive reactions from my previous light posts (Wall-E and Rubix), so I thought I’d share the latest incarnation/ insanity. If you missed my previous creations you can check them out here:

Wall-E: Wall-E - The Dual Ostar Light 2,000 lumens
    Rubix: Rubix - The Quad D-Bin P7 Light 3,600 lumens

But before I start, let me just preface this post with a beamshot…..
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_12.jpg

Ok, now a little background...

Usually when I design and build lights, I bounce design ideas off my buddy (‘timight’ here on mtbr). Generally, I’ll make the light and start running it, and timight will build the same lights so that we have equal power on our night rides, and neither of us are casting shadows on one-another.

Sooooo… not only does the crazy f**ker make just one, but he shows up for our night ride with dual!! Then to top it off, he pulls out another Rubix for me!!! (thanks bud!) The end result is insanity at it’s finest…. like Moore’s law, we’ve doubled Rubix output. I guess you could call this Core2-Rubix or Rubix-X2, but we like and have dubbed the name of this light, Rubii (plural for rubix ). So without further adieu, onto the pics….

The “magic” adapter that lets it all happen:
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_1.jpg

Rubii:
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_2.jpg
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_3.jpg

Stem Mounted:
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_4.jpg
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_5.jpg

But of course, Rubii is a bike mounted light. I still use Wall-E on the helmet for throw duties (but now with an Ostar dome cover removed for even more throw).

Money shot of the 9,200 lumen light setup:
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_6.jpg

A light thread is just not a light thread without the mandatory beamshots, but this time I put other lights into the beamshot mix for reference to intensity. Other lights include a triple Cree XRE-R2 light, as well as a P7 converted maglite (closest thing I have to a magicshine) for comparison purposes.

The first set of beamshots are taken at “Standard MTBR Camera Settings”:
    beamshot thread
    ISO-100, F4, 6 Sec

Control Shot:
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_7.jpg

P7 Mag (900 Lumens):
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_8.jpg

Triple XRE-R2 (750 Lumens):
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_9.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rubii (7,200 lumens):
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_10.jpg

Rubii + Wall-E (9,200 lumens):
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_11.jpg

This is what it looks like if Timight’s lights and mine are on at the same time on the trail (18,400 lumens):
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_12.jpg

2nd set of beamshots are taken at the “Standard MTBR Camera Settings for High Powered Lights”:
    MTBR Standard Camera Settings for High Power Lights
    ISO-100, F4, 1 Sec

Control Shot:
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_13.jpg

P7 Mag (900 Lumens):
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_14.jpg

Triple XRE-R2 (750 Lumens):
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_15.jpg

Rubii (7,200 lumens):
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_16.jpg

Rubii + Wall-E (9,200 lumens):
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_17.jpg

Again, both timight’s setup and mine (18,400 lumens):
    Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-rubii_web_18.jpg

Some FAQ’s I generally get on the trails (might answer Q’s for some reading this post):
    1. Q: How much runtime do you get?
      A: Rubii gets a little over an hour at max power off my 10-cell 18650 pack. Wall-E is still around 3 hours on max.
    2. Q: Are those fans I see? How do you wire that up? Is your light water resistant? Do you have a parts list?
      A: See my original Rubix post for all those answers.
    3. Q: Do you really still need Wall-E?
      A: Yes, hard to tell in beamshots, but Rubii just doesn’t throw like wall-e does. In tight singletrack, Rubii is all you need, but when speeds start getting up there on higher speed trails, I really need Wall-E for the throw. Especially with the plastic dome removed off Wall-E, the light throw is insane.
    4. Q: Will you make me one?
      A: No. Sorry. These were made on a manual mill and take way to long to make.
    5. Q: Cost no object, will you make me one?
      A: Let’s talk. Haha.. just kidding. Too busy with other projects to make another Rubix, let alone another Rubii.
    6. Q: Well then, can I have your CAD designs so I can make my own?
      A: Sorry, I like to be unique. Aside from handing over what took me hours the design, the entire parts list and even wiring diagram are already laid out in my first Rubix post.
    7. Q: Why do you need so much light?
      A: Although I do a lot of XC night riding, I also hit up some of the more technical and DH oriented trails. And in the case of the latter, I still wish I had more light.
    8. Q: Aren’t you concerned with the weight? Isn’t this heavy?
      A: Weight? What weight? Have you seen my tires?!!! Haha!

Hope you peeps enjoyed my post…. Now back to our regular scheduled programmming.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the entertainment. Good to see you are still up to no good.

If you get some time would love to see some shots of the collection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ....and the locals think a new star is being formed in the desert.

So awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ah yes, we love to make the critters flee. I surprised a couple of rabbits last nite, you can catch em in the bright light and they won't run. Nice job cosmo. James

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    FIRE! FIRE! FIRE

You're my flippin biggest hero right now Cosmo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm blinded just by looking at the beam shots!!!

WOW!!!

mtbr member
    and for you sir........golf clap. well done, very well done.

I can't imagine how much more light you could need....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks
    Rubii (7,200 lumens):
    8x SSC P7@2.4A = 7200 lumens ???

I have 10x MC-E bike light and I calculate only 6000 lumens.

mtbr member
    [Damn, your setup’s nice!!! But mine’s less boring. Gotta have some color!!

Great design Cosmoworks!! Floods like crazy.

Rubii (aka Rubix Dual) – The 8X D-Bin P7 Light 7,200 lumens-img_8992.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    odtexas: No good is right... haha! The other lights are bland in comparison, so that's why I don't post them. Except for a suprise that's coming soon to a theater near you!

BKruahnndon, OldMTBfreak, chelboed, mojojojoaf, jmitchell13: That's for the props guys!

pepko: D-bin's are 900 theoretical max at 2.8 amps. Sorry should have clarified, I put them to 2.4 as not to trip the polyswitch in my pack Technically it's less at 2.4 amps, but who cares?

timight: Always gotta one-up me, don't you?!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Do you ever sell your lights?

www.hahntronix.com
    So do you need to ride with sunglasses ?

Very cool looking. Have you started looking at the SSR-90 yet? I've got a dual in the works that should kick out 3000 lumens.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    As soon as I saw Wall-E...I was pretty-much hooked on the idea of a barn-burner bike light. Thanks a ton, Cosmo! (shakes head)

After building some smaller XP-G lights though...I'm starting to get hooked on efficiency. I like to have about 2hr battery capacity for my lights...

...dadgum Cosmo, how big'a'battery would you need to run these lights for 2hrs? 32cell 18650? May as well pull the deep cycle outta the neighbor's boat, hahahaha.

I can't wait to see your next surprise.

Now that I have my "go-to" setup for every day riding...I may have to pursue my original goal of 10,000'ish lumens...look out Cosmo...you may one day see your shadow in front of you on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have a question...which direction are your fans blowing? Toward the sink...or drawing air away from the sink?

I completed that "active cooling" triple XP-G that I picked your brain about...but the fan was a tad too small and the LDO wasn't powerful enough to run it at full voltage. Plan-B in prog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    fujio001: Yes, but not the ones I post on MTBR.

mhahn@hvc.rr.com: Damn... don't spill the beans!!!! I've done way more than just "look at"....

chelboed: You'd need around (20) 18650 cells to run Rubii at max power for 2 hours. Typically I'm only on max power for the downhill sections, so usually I have plenty of juice left in my pack after a ride. My "go-to" setup is the single Rubix, so I usually have a 2 hour burntime with that (at max power). Rubix/Rubii fans pull away from the heatsink, but I've mounted it backward before and there's no measureable difference in cooling performance. Look forward to your plan B.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    so, i have to ask... when on full blast, does anything get whitewashed like in pics? is it tough to see stuff close up, or is it just the camera?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^^ No, it's not tough to see. Everything looks just fine in real life as your eyes will auto-adjust. The pictures just look washed out because the camera is forced to the standard MTBR settings, and not given a chance to auto-adjust like your eyes do.

The reality is that a twin-fluorescent bulb light fixture in your garage probably puts out around the same total lumens as Rubii, yet you see just fine. However, if you focused thousands of lumens into a narrow beam, and use that as your only bike light, then your eyes will adjust to the light in the spot so much that when you look away to the sides of the trail, everything is much darker. Not an issue with Rubix/Rubii since the Boom lenses gives a pretty wide spread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i thought that was the case...was always curious about the mega lights!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Those light double duty as Frying pans too right? They must get HOT when running a spec

Awesome Job BTW!

Mac

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacclel
    Those light double duty as Frying pans too right? They must get HOT when running a spec
    I hope not this hot LINK

Awesome lights Cosmoworks
    I have only one P7 for nightrides

T.W.O.
    Great job as usual Cosmoworks, now can we expect to see Quad Rubix any time soon? you know you need to improve the peripheral vision while riding right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusGun
    I hope not this hot LINK

Awesome lights Cosmoworks
    I have only one P7 for nightrides

What are the odds you post a link to one of my light designs

Mac

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Cosmo: If I remember correctly...you're using a manual mill, right? No CNC?

timight: That last beamshot mentions 4x Ostars...are you balling a Wall-E too? Are you guys still using that big'ol freakin' external driver, or did you switch to a Hyperboost?

I'm still geekin' out on this thread, guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    cmacclel: Mac, I did some steady state tests on the single Rubix and the heatsink ran about 55C at full power with the active cooling... it's no where near being able to fry anything! While night riding, the light never even sees 50C unless I'm doing something stupid, like climbing with it on max power, or it's a really hot night. BTW, I'm a total fan of all your CPF work!

mimi1885 & GeniusGun: Thanks for the praise guys, and no quad/quad...haha!

chelboed: Correct, manual mill..... and a big-ass driver for my wall-e. I know timight switched his wall-e to a smaller electronics box with hyperboost though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast