Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    bumble

Review: Dinotte Ultra 5 vs. Dualcross Li-Ion

I have not seen a direct comparison anywhere between these two lights. I narrowed my own choices to these two after applying my own inscutable requirements and preferences.

I will populate this review with as many photos as possible. I will be taking pictures of the comparing the light beams on the trail, attempting to show here exactly what I am seeing when I am using them.

The Dinotte Ultra 5 is a revised model with 200 lumens output instead of 120 lumens, and the beam, as I am told by the Dinotte staff, is also tighter and more focussed then previously.

My experiences disussing my needs and wants with Dinotte through e-mail was nothing short of excellent. I purchased, on sale, two Ultra 5 lights, one with a longer cord and one with a shorter cord, without batteries or chargers as I already have some of the best of both that is available. Here are some pictures of each of the Cygolite Dualcross Li-Ion and the Dinotte packages upon opening. The Dualcross came with a very slick handlebar mount. The instructions say to remove and cut one piece to fit oversized bars, which I have, but I found that I had to completely remove both rubber pieces to make it clamp on my bars.

You can see from the photo of the Dinotte package that I received a plethora of stuff. I received an extra nylon carrier, over and above the two I expected. I received an extra helmet mount, although technically it is not extra because I ordered two lights and each one comes with a helmet mount. I received extra plastic battery cases, three to be prcise, and I received what I consider to be extra mounting hardware which consisted of o-rings, straps, and wire keeper straps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bumble; 05-18-2007 at 10:26 PM.

bumble

Dinotte Ultra 5 Helmet Mount

This is a series of pictures of the helmet mount for the Dinotte Ultra 5. Simple, easy to attach, and light weight. In use, it stays where I put it. It is a little fiddly to adjust exactly where I like the beam, but then I do not have to re-adjust.

bumble

Dinotte Ultra 5 Mounted on Helmet

Thes pictures show how the final mounting looks on the helmet.

bumble

Dinotte Ultra 5 Connector

This shows the connector that the Ultra 5 uses to the battery case.

bumble

Cygolite Dualcross Bar Mount

These show the bar mount for the Dualcross. I had to remove both of the rubber pieces. The third picture shows how the mount goes on the bar. The latch is fine-tuned for the diameter of the bar by a long threaded rod that the latch is attached to. It is an excellent system that works, and is quite secure. If I was keeping the Dualcross, I would find a way to use the rubber pieces in there as they were menat to be used. I would probably contact their customer support. The mount is supposed to fit my 31.8 mm bars, but it does not.

bumble

The Lights, Mounted

The first picture shows the Cygolite mounted. The second picture shows the Dinotte mounted on my bars. The ride is a 2006 Iron Horse Mk III Sport, purchased about three weeks ago.

bumble

Backyard Light Beam Comparison

The first picture is of the Cygolite Dualcross Li-Ion. Notice the more defined main spot, and the wider spill light closer to the rider. Both lights have their main spot pointed at the plants. The second picture is of the Dinotte Ultra 5. Notice that the total beam is narrower than the Dualcross, but that the light is much brighter and there is much more light along the path from in front of the tire to the end of the beam on the wall. I much prefer, so far, the beam intensity and pattern of the Ultra 5. I have used the Ultra 5 on-trail and it rocks. Tonight I will be using the Ultra 5 and the Dualcross in comparison on the trail, and I will be taking comparison pictures of the beams on the trail, hopefully in a wider, flatter section and a tight singletrack section. I will then post the pics and my opinions on how they stack up against each other on the trail.

The plants where the beams are aimed are 26 feet, or 8 meters from the front of the front tire.

Please post if you have any types of pictures you wish to see, and I will try to oblige.

mtbr member
    Bumble

Thanks for the information and the pictures. Have you had any experience with other LED spot lights? I have also tried my Princeton Tec Apex (3w luxeon) on my helmet and, while not as bright, it has a better beam to support the overvolted 20 watt halogen I run on the bars.

I look forward to the beam shots from the trails.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Bumble, Is the shot of the Ultra 5's w/ both lights on or just one?

If you don't mind me asking, what did the total package from Dinotte cost?

Thanks

MB

mtbr member
    Nice comparison.

bumble
    Wombat,

I do not have experience with other LED lights. My previous experience is with Nightsun halogens and Nightrider halogens. I like this Dinotte light better. One thing I learned during the testing is that the Dinotte Ultra 5 makes a great helmet light.

bumble
    mb323323,

That shot is of the single Ultra 5. If I put two Ultra 5's on the handlebar and compared it to the Dualcross, it would not be fair.

Dinotte has a sale, and I did not get the batteries or charger. The total came out to $308.00. I feel it is well worth it. geoman has the complete sets, including batteries and charger, on sale for $149 each. That is less than what I paid.

bumble
    James,

Thank you!

I have a bunch of photos from tonight's trail trip. I will have them up tomorrow. The bottom line is that the Dinotte lights are better than the Dualcross in every measure of light output and beam pattern on the trails. I will be returning the Cygolite. The MSRP is the same for both, but the Dinottes are on sale now, so that is a no-brainer between the two.

Spanish biker
    Hi, excellent work and photos

Such how you have mount the dinotte light, this don't work well, since the cygolite light do shadow to go in front.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

bumble
    msxtr,

I do not understand your comment/question. The Dinotte and Cygolites are mounted right next to each other on the handlebar. There is no shadow from the cygolite, as there is nothing in front of it.

Maybe you are trying to say that the cygolite is blocking part of the light from the Ultra 5?
    Last edited by bumble; 05-19-2007 at 11:21 AM.

bumble

Trails-Night Ride Pictures!

Here are the pictures I took from the night ride. Exposures are all exactly the same. I set up the camera on the tripod at just about head-height if I was sitting on the bicycle. The exposures were made to show what I was seeing myself, and I think I have pretty much done that.

The first trail here is some wide singletrack.

This first set is two pairs: The first picture is of the Dualcross pointed close to my front tire, where I would like it to provide full lighting on my immediate track, assuming I also had a helmet light for looking farther. The second is of the Ultra 5 pointed the same place.

The second pair: the first picture is the Dualcross pointed down the trail, as if I did not have a helmet light and I wanted to have the maximum use of the light. The second is of the Ultra 5 pointed the same place.

The pictures show you exactly what I saw. The Dinotte wins hands down.

bumble

Second Trail, Pictures from Night Ride!

This set is from a second trail. It is much wider than the first trail, to simulate how wide the beams are for illuminating a wider area in front as you are riding.

Again I have taken two pairs.

The first picture is of the Dualcross pointed close to my front tire, where I would like it to provide full lighting on my immediate track, assuming I also had a helmet light for looking farther. The second is of the Ultra 5 pointed the same place.

The second pair: the first picture is the Dualcross pointed down the trail, as if I did not have a helmet light and I wanted to have the maximum use of the light. The second is of the Ultra 5 pointed the same place.

Again the Dinotte wins. Bear in mind that the Dualcross is a very good light. I did like it, but it just is not as good at anything as the Dinotte lights, IMHO.
    Last edited by bumble; 05-19-2007 at 11:57 AM.

banned
    I'm wondering how the Dinotte compares to the old Nite Rider Digital Night Owl that I've been using for many years. Decent performance, though its outdated compared to HID's.

bumble

Dinotte Light Level Comparison, and Final Thoughts

I made a comparison between the high beam and low beam of the Ultra 5 so you all could see what I would like to comment on.

The first is the high beam on singletrack, pointed down the trail as if I did not have a helmet light. The second is the low beam, pointed the same place.

The low beam of the Dinotte is, I feel, adequate for slower trail riding if you want it to last considerably longer. Instead of a low beam that you will never use, I felt that this level of light was at least barely adequate, and useable, on actual trails. I did do some riding with the low beam on the single Dinotte on the handlebar, no helmet light, and that is my observations.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    After taking all these pictures, I went for a ride for a while so I could switch back and forth between the lights and just see how I felt about them at speed under different conditions. I rode each light alone as a bar light. I also rode each light as a bar light with a helmet light (another Ultra 5). I rode the lights on singletrack, wider trails, and bombing fast down a fire road. In each case, I optimized the pointing of the light for what I felt was its best point for each situation. The end result: in every case, I felt the Dinotte Ultra 5 provided more light, and a more useful beam pattern than the Cygolite Dualcross Li-Ion. The Cygolite is a very good light. The design, materials and thoughtfulness of application, including the bar mount, are top quality. So is the Dinotte, though, and the Dinotte, for me, just performed better at everything I threw at it.

I am performing some burn time testing on the Dinotte lights with my own batteries and charger, which are some of the best available today. I will also post a link to the web site/article for the battery and charger testing so you all can find out the same info. I will post the results of this testing as I acquire data.

bumble
    Jerk_Chicken,

The Dinotte web site states that the Ultra 5 is similar to a 12-15 watt halogen. That is for the older 120 lumen lights. The lights are now 200 lumens. Based on my experience, the light quality and beam pattern, this may be a real step up for you from your old halogens. It seems to me that a single Ultra 5 is easily comparable to a 20 watt halogen. Then you get the better efficiency, and you never have to replace the bulb.

banned
    It sounds like a good deal. I can make my own battery packs and loathe the Li-Ions, so I might opt for a headunit only.

bumble
    The Dinottes use NiMh batteries. Only their special Endurance Series uses Li-Ion.

banned
    Hmmmm...got several packs of 2300 AA's at home. Wonder if it's worth it to go with the most basic kit.

bumble
    It might be. But please take a look a little later when I post run times, because I will be posting a link to some VERY useful info on batteries and chargers. My first run-time test is nothing short of amazing. I am re-running to verify. But consider that I just got 2 hours and 38 minutes of run-time on high with 4 NiMh AA batteries!!!!

mtbr member
    Bumble

Great review, thank you. It certainly looks like the upgrade is the way to go. Casting logic aside I have however decided to buy the 3 w version for $89 and will upgrade it with a Seoul P4. I know that this breaks the basic rule of buying thing: don't buy something with the intention of immediately upgrading, but I could do with another light (although others may not agree) and it gives me the opportunity to pull it apart.

Do you have any idea what emitter Dinotte used in the new 5W?

Thanks for taking the time to post all of the information.

Tim

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast