mtbr member
    May 2007

reflectors for tri-cree bike light

hey guys,
    I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the details of my homebuilt light. so far, I've pinned down that i want to use cree Q5's, or R2's if i can find them for a reasonable price (ie not cutters $16 per emitter ). I have also decided on a B-flex for the regulation and a 4s lipo to power it all (already got the charger/balancer )

the one thing that i'm hung up on is secondary optics. I would really love to just use ledil square lenses, but I'm planning on machining my own housing, and i dont have the capability of making a square hole that would fit them. i looked at the other available circular optics and was unimpressed.

as an alternative, i was thinking of using a reflector instead, such as the McR reflectors at the shoppe, but I'm unsure on how good of a beam that they'll produce.

Has anybody used the McR's in a bike light and might be able to comment on their usefulness? I'm looking for a combination of 3 to give me a floodier light on the bar, and 2 for more spot on the helmet. the size of the reflector isn't of too much concern, since i can tailor the housing to match.

Also, if anybody has any other ideas for a circular reflector or lens that would give me a good beam, i'd be happy to hear it.

also on a slightly off tangent, does anybody know where i can find some R2 binned cree's (on stars) for a decent price? I think that cutter's prices for emitters are a bit crazy...

thanks for at least reading my rather long winded post, and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

-Bryan

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I bought some textured reflector modules from Dealextreme that put out quite a nice beam, but couldn't conjure up a housing to make them work for me. I can't see them on the site right now, but it was basically SKU 5937 but with a textured reflector. They have a bunch of different options that cost peanuts, so you might just try a few out.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    hey guys,
    I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the details of my homebuilt light. so far, I've pinned down that i want to use cree Q5's, or R2's if i can find them for a reasonable price (ie not cutters $16 per emitter ). I have also decided on a B-flex for the regulation and a 4s lipo to power it all (already got the charger/balancer )

the one thing that i'm hung up on is secondary optics. I would really love to just use ledil square lenses, but I'm planning on machining my own housing, and i dont have the capability of making a square hole that would fit them. i looked at the other available circular optics and was unimpressed.

as an alternative, i was thinking of using a reflector instead, such as the McR reflectors at the shoppe, but I'm unsure on how good of a beam that they'll produce.

Has anybody used the McR's in a bike light and might be able to comment on their usefulness? I'm looking for a combination of 3 to give me a floodier light on the bar, and 2 for more spot on the helmet. the size of the reflector isn't of too much concern, since i can tailor the housing to match.

Also, if anybody has any other ideas for a circular reflector or lens that would give me a good beam, i'd be happy to hear it.

also on a slightly off tangent, does anybody know where i can find some R2 binned cree's (on stars) for a decent price? I think that cutter's prices for emitters are a bit crazy...

thanks for at least reading my rather long winded post, and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

-Bryan
    Just a suggestion...

If you want a very tight beam and don't intend to use the light on the bars, reflectors are great. For a wider beam - I'd look at optics instead.

For the LED and other parts, keep watching dealextreme, kaidomain an the candlepower forum. I'm sure they will turn up soon.

There is an ebay seller I've used before here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Luxeon-Canada...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Good luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

Master of None
    I use a bar light only w/ three Crees with the PL35306 optic. I've compared it to my friends lights and I like my light pattern the best. The 10 degree angle is great for a bar light.

http://www.khatod.com/pdf/pl353xxnk_xlamp.pdf

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    I've had good luck with Carclo optics on one K2 light and 2 Seoul lights. They make optics for Cree as well. Should be worth a look!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    so for the bar, i should just ditch the reflector idea and go with something like the carclo or fraen optics to get a wide beam? from what i've seen from reflectors, they might work well for the helmet mount at least.

ill keep looking and maybe get a few to play with

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airman
    Just a suggestion...

If you want a very tight beam and don't intend to use the light on the bars, reflectors are great. For a wider beam - I'd look at optics instead.

For the LED and other parts, keep watching dealextreme, kaidomain an the candlepower forum. I'm sure they will turn up soon.

There is an ebay seller I've used before here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Luxeon-Canada...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Good luck
    Just a quick note regarding the K2 OPTX optics, these were originally designed for the older cree xr (not xr-e) leds. They do fit the newer xr-e but the beam pattern is different then that in the spec sheet.

They are also available from ledsupply for about the same price and you get to mix and match lenses.

some kind of hero...
    so for the bar, i should just ditch the reflector idea and go with something like the carclo or fraen optics to get a wide beam? from what i've seen from reflectors, they might work well for the helmet mount at least.

ill keep looking and maybe get a few to play with
    I use reflectors for the helmet LED I built. It has a really bright hot spot and a narrow beam which is fine for a helmet light. I'm putting together a new light with Cree LEDs and my intention is to use optics that can be easily swapped out to give different beam patterns. The optics are similar to the one presslab posted.

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    May 2007
    also, something i forgot to mention, has anybody had any experience they can comment on with the ledil rocket lenses? just curious

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I agree that reflectors would probably work best for a helmet lamp. They would also make a great "high beam" for fast open tracks as they project well. However, you don't want too much of a "hot spot", I think an evenly spread beam is better for riding (at least for singletrack). If you have too much of a hot spot, you will find yourself blind to anything outside the spot.
    As airman mentioned, Candlepower forums can be a good place to pick stuff up, I recently got 4 Ledil triple optics through a group buy for only $28 including postage to Australia (Thanks Bram)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    sounds like a deal. i think i will use some easily swappable optics for the bar light, and maybe some reflectors with a mild spot for the helmet. now, which optics?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    also, something i forgot to mention, has anybody had any experience they can comment on with the ledil rocket lenses? just curious
    The Rocket series are too big for many applications since they are 26mm in diameter as opposed to 20mm. (unless you're building a big honker of a bike light)