mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Quad Seoul spots using DX reflectors

I'd like to get some opinions on the preferred reflectors or optics for these powerful LEDs...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1445

I read through the options in the sticky thread and it seemed like there was a wide variety of reflector/optics choices and most people were pretty satisfied with whatever they tried. So I decided to give the cheapest option on DX I could find a shot, not much to lose...
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3257

And one of these regs per LED...
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3256

And then powering a series of 2 regs per 7.2v 3000mA NiMH hobby pack I already had lying around...
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHBP3
    Last edited by gielamonster; 11-27-2007 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I placed my order last night, here's the invoice...

SKU Product or Service Name Quantity Price Shipping
    1445 Seoul Semiconductors Z-Power LED Emitter (U-bin) x 4 In Stock $5.14
    3256 3.6V~9V 800mA Regulated IC Circuit Board for Cree and SSC LEDs (4-pack) x 1 In Stock $6.44
    3257 Aluminum Cree Reflector Module Set (no emitter) x 4 In Stock $2.21

Total: $ 37.54

Says it will take about 2 weeks or so to arrive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    they aren't exatrating with the 2 weeks. they come by sea turtle so you have to plan your DX purchasing in advance. And also they make you sign for the package, atleast they have every time I have ordered so it kinda sucks if you aren't home to sign for it. But good luck on your light, I love my ssc p4's. I am actually waiting for 8 more to arive by sea turtle hopefully any day now.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Sounds like my most recent order with Cutter. Ordered October 27, order confirmed October 30 (with items on back order in all fairness), November 13 they said they shipped the completed order and I'm still waiting!
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I got a shipping notice that it went out from HK today, estimating 7-10 days. I had it shipped to my work, so signature on delivery shouldn't be a problem.

One thing I've found after reading more of the comments on my reflectors, the 20mm SSC P4 stars (?) won't fit in the 19-19.5mm LED cup of the reflector. Sounded like some of the CREE guys were able to machine stuff to fit, so I'll have to see what my options are. I have now idea how tight the beam will be with this reflector, so its still just a crap shoot anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I got the LEDs and reflectors today, but no regulators. I guess those are still on the way. The star PCBs didn't fit, as expected. Doesn't look like it will be that tough to trim them down to fit though. Reflectors also look like a pretty darn good deal at $2.21 each. Plus they'll double as the start of the heat sink. I'll see if my feelings change after I get everything modded to fit together.

Side note: 12V MR11 35W spots are HULLA bright on 17V. Like ridiculously bright. I'm about 80% sure something is going to melt or catch on fire on my ride tomorrow night. Sweet.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Nice, glad to hear the shipping time was reasonable. My order from cutter arrived Nov. 28 with a Nov. 21 postmark. Funny how that doesn't match the e-mail where they said they shipped on the 13th.

Let us know how things come together (with piccy goodness if you can). I'm also interested in a beam shot with those reflectors. What are you doing for a housing?
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just ordered the SSC P4s from Direct Exress, along with the 5 degree and 15 degree L2 Free form lenses from Ledsupply. Oh yah, a Li-Ion battery from all-battery.com too.

First week of December, let's see how long everything takes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    For the Seoul P4 these are my favorite optics and they are only $2.00 each and ledsupply.com has cheap and fast shipping.
    For a triple SSC P4 light, I use 2x15 degree and 1x5 degree and I'm very happy with that combo. Don't forget to order the holders as well (Get the holders for Lux III or Lux V star)

I attach them to the star using silicone caulk so that they can be changed out if you wish.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well I've been making due with the overvolted halogens for the past year, but I decided it was time I built this light kit up as the halogens suck my 2x 7.2V NiMH packs down too quickly.

I soldered up my parts tonight and it seems like the results will be pretty sweet. Very bright, very white light. Reflectors seem to be an excellent match. I still have some challenges ahead fabricating the proper heat sinking and enclosure, but I should get things together this week.

Here's a couple shots I took as I was building...

Parts pre-assembly

Pairs of stars w/ 800mA drivers soldered up in parallel

I intend on running 2 LEDs per 7.2V battery pack (3000mAh). Calculating runtime isn't as easy as just dividing 3000mAh / 800mA = 3.75 hours, right? There's some delay and they'll shut down once my battery voltage starts to drop.

The reflectors seem like they'll make a good beam, but mounting will be tricky. The stars were too big to fit correctly, so I clipped them with a beefy set of pliers until they did. I'll use thermal adhesive to glue what's left of the stars to an old CPU heatsink, then figure out a way to attach the reflectors and some kind of lens.

More pics on the way.

aka RossC