GoPro Seat post mounted

Red Amoeba 1

Red Amoeba 2

Red Amoeba 3

mtbr member
    May 2011
    2 red XP-Es at 1A, that ought to keep anyone from sucking your wheel

mtbr member
    damn, that'll be bright! Did you use any of the funky programmable strobe modes?

I'm not sure that your design will allow it, but some way of getting a bit of light out the sides would be my only suggestion. It makes a bit difference at road junctions. Perhaps a thick piece of lexan sitting proud of the housing, rather than recessed?

Light freak
    Did an urban assault over the weekend and stopped to take a couple of photos -

Red Amoeba-urban-assault.jpg

Red Amoeba-urban-assault2.jpg

Hey Matt -just getting a chance to play around with the strobe patterns. I have just been using the defaults. I was looking for the thread where someone described a flash pattern they had come up with?

You have to remember, I am a mountain biker (that is one of the reasons why I hang out on this site ) so I don't have much experience or time to ride around on the street. I have been riding off road with the tail light in place for the last week or so just to see how well it holds up. No problems. One of my riding buddies saw the light while we were taking a break on the trail the other morning and asked me to fire it up. His comment was - WOW! That thing is bright, should piss off some motorists.

Not sure, it may be too bright? But I have heard rumblings of people wanting high powered tail lights and not being able to get them. Just wanted to give them another option

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bright light but it definitely needs side spill, and a better rear mount.

Here's mine as an example.

Moving the connector and the switch to the bottom helps with the awkward rear cable routing. All I'm missing is a lexan wrap around shield to seal the whole assembly, so I used silicone chaulking instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post

Hey Matt -just getting a chance to play around with the strobe patterns. I have just been using the defaults. I was looking for the thread where someone described a flash pattern they had come up with?
    Pethelman posted a neat Youtube video of a bunch of different options although I can't for the life of me remember the thread. Might be easier just to PM him

Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post

You have to remember, I am a mountain biker (that is one of the reasons why I hang out on this site ) so I don't have much experience or time to ride around on the street. I have been riding off road with the tail light in place for the last week or so just to see how well it holds up. No problems. One of my riding buddies saw the light while we were taking a break on the trail the other morning and asked me to fire it up. His comment was - WOW! That thing is bright, should piss off some motorists.

Not sure, it may be too bright? But I have heard rumblings of people wanting high powered tail lights and not being able to get them. Just wanted to give them another option

my comments weren't meant as a criticism, just an observation from my own experience. Most of my near misses come at junctions, either multiple stops where I'm stationary or cars waiting to join the road I'm on, so side visibility is a huge plus there. As for brightness, I don't think 2 XP-E @1A is going to be too bright, especially if it's aimed down like your pictures show. I've noticed a big difference in driver's behaviour around me with my brighter tail light - they more frequently give me a wide berth. For city riding in the day, you could probably go even brighter.

hope that helps!

Light freak
    Hey Matt, sorry that comment was not directed at you as I know you are familiar with who I am. A lot of new people hitting up these boards lately, so I thought I would make it clear that 98% of my riding is done in the dirt so I don't need or use a read tail light.

Will have to think about the side visibility a bit. Not sure it is viable with my Amoeba design. I really like your idea of the Lexan sitting "proud" of the housing a bit, that would work.

mrbubbles - thanks for the constructive criticism

mtbr member
    no worries scar, I didn't take it badly, just wanted to be clear that's all

glad you like the "proud" Lexan idea, but Pethelman deserves the credit for that as he's used it to great effect on his Designshine rear light. I can't remember the exact specs, but it's pretty thick (3-5mm I'd guess).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    One thing I have always liked about this sub-forum is that posters take active steps to avoid offending others.

I am envious of the amount of the amount of time you get to play in the dirt. Sadly I live in an urban jungle and the only way I would get to do that is riding through people's gardens

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    Pethelman posted a neat Youtube video of a bunch of different options although I can't for the life of me remember the thread. Might be easier just to PM him
    Was this the post you were referring to ?

Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    Hey "C"
    Currently finishing up assembly on all the "build #2" hardware. All of that hardware is sold, and I only have a handful of units left to finish up and ship out. Thanks to some delays in the machine shop, I was able to work with George on the new programmable flash modes for the Maxflex and get those incorporated into build 2. In fact, I now have a custom "DesignShine" firmware load that pre-defines the flash modes, so they can always be restored by doing a system "reset."

The other new modification to allow the user to remove the lens cover and swap out lenses seems to work well. This allows a taillight that has been configured for vertical operation to easily be switched over to horizontal operation.

Also added a couple of offset mounting holes on the bottom of the headlight housing so it can be mounted closer to the center-line of the stem.

I had strapped the lights to the top of my son's RC truck so I could drive it around and get some impressions on how I liked the patterns. Here's a short video of that setup and a demo of the preferred nighttime flash modes for the head and tail.

DesignShine_Flash_Patterns.mp4 - YouTube

Here's also a table describing the new modes, excerpted from the user's manual.

I'm working on getting a limited number of new housings for build #3. Probably on the order of 35 taillights and 15 headlights (although the ratio may end up changing). Then that will be all for 2012. I'll probably work on building up some stock after that (slowly) and maybe do a "limited edition" for 2013.
    If not, there are more videos on pethelman's website

mtbr member
    that'll be the one - nice job on the find!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    With the low forward voltage of the red XP-E, is the lFlex coping with disspiating the extra wattage okay? I have just ordered all the parts to build a tail light from cutter and am debating whether to go 2 or 3 LED's on 2S with the lFlex. I can basically get an extra LED for no loss in current draw. Thinking 3 LED's at 500mA would give good run time and be bright enough for commuting. 2 LED's facing rear, one narrow optic, one elliptic optic and one LED facing down with the domed Khatod 180 degree optic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Defo 3 LEDs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I really like the use of the gopro mount they work well for me. I am curious, where did you get the go pro mount that you are using and how is the go pro mount secured to the aluminum light body. By go pro mount I mean the part with the two little tabs that matched the go pro housing not the rest of the system. I have a plastic go pro mount I got from candlepowertech dot com. The part from candlepowertech works well but was not cheap.

Light freak
    I have used the CandleTorch one before also and remember it to be around $25. Just looked and they are $8.50 now.

I have been using a Drift GoPro Adapter that is about $13. I mill off the part with the slot and remove the foam padding. I then adhere it to the light housing with a thin layer of ShooGoo. The ShoeGoo has an incredible peel strength and works great. You have to be sure and let the ShoeGoo dry for 24hrs before putting any stress on it.

mtbr member
    The Drift Pro looks like it would work for a lot of DIY applications, and would fit an Easy2LED housing well. It is a lot of money though for a little piece of plastic. Something like that without the knurled screw would be ideal. Would it be hard to 3D print a bunch? The other Candletorch one would be trickier to mount.

I notice DX and others sell good headbands and decent looking helmet mounts that are GoPro knockoffs, so that might be an easy way to set these up.

Light freak

pic from last nights ride

Red Amoeba-urban-assault.jpg

Light freak
    Red Amoeba w/ Cree Red XP-E2's and now available with side visibility -

Red Amoeba-red-amoeba.jpg

Red Amoeba-red-amoeba-top-view.jpg

Red Amoeba-day-light-up.jpg

Red Amoeba-dark-lit-up.jpg

Red Amoeba-lit-up-front-window.jpg

Red Amoeba-gopro-seatpost-mount.jpg

mtbr member

Red Amoeba

That's nice!!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Excellent addition to your offerings. Do you use reflectors inside still or bare emitters?

PS. It would look better with one of my Gopro adapters on it.

mtbr member
    Funny, I just finished up an improved helmet-vent red flasher, using a red cree and a 1.4A MobyDrv. Good project for an ice-storm day. Naturally Scar's light will blow mine away.

Light freak
    Vancbiker - I am using Ledil Regina reflectors mated to the XP-E2's for some crazy throw for a tail light If someone needs/wants to knock that throw down a bit, then I can frost the inside of the lens.

Here is a quick video I did of the updated tail light before I shipped it off to a fellow cyclist in Italy. I shot the video with a point and shoot Canon camera. While the video is pretty impressive, it really does the light no justice. You have to see it in person to believe it.

Light freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    PS. It would look better with one of my Gopro adapters on it.
    Was just rereading your post, sorry I missed this comment. I would have to agree with you. What would the postage be from up north?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not too far north. Made in Vancouver WA. USA! I can get at least 4 ABS ones in a padded envelope for about $2.75 to US addresses. PM sent.

Light freak
    The thicker lens material did so well for creating side visibility on the Red Amoeba, may as well do it on the front light too

The front of the lens is blacked out with electrical tape and on low so I could get a picture.

Red Amoeba-amoeba-top.jpg

Red Amoeba-amoeba-top-2.jpg

mtbr member

Red Amoeba

Great idea! More side splash is a good thing!!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast