mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Recommend Best Lite $250 ?

Guys...getting ready to make the lite purchase ...w DST gone...gotta have it... done a very little research on the MTBR ratings... jet lite gets some hvy kudos... just bx into all this recently... need some advice..

Can you Please Recommend best Lite around $250 ? Most of my PM rides would never exceed 2.5 to 3 hrs

Thanks!

Prayer

Quack Attack
    I have a Niterider mininewt dual on my bar and a Niteride Solmate on my helmet. Both are under $250 and provide more than ample light for my night rides. Plus, they're light and small including the battery packs.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I recommend a Cygolite Dualcross 300 (available for less than $200 on a number of web sites) teamed with a Cygolite Hiflux 100 ($55 @ Pricepoint.com).

The Dualcross 300 is very bright and well built. While the 300 seems light enough to me, if you'd like to save weight, go with the Li-Ion version of the same light.

The Hiflux seems to throw about as much light as my old ten watt halogen. It uses 4 C batteries for a (claimed) 25-hour burn time. I can't confirm that claim, as I've only used mine for about ten hours so far. It is an amazing light for the money.

I mount the Dualcross on my handlebars and the Hiflux on my helmet. Neither light comes with a helmet mount, but I built one that works with both using the barrel of an old mini pump and zip ties.

Good luck.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Dinotte 200L is around 230$ with 2 li-ion batteries (4 hours of light each on full power). 200 lumens, super light and very powerful

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No frills Jet Lites Phantom- reliable, light, bright (upto 780 lumens on full) and one hell of a proven light over the last 5-6 years through rain, adventure races, and 24-hour races. In fact, they even loan out lights to racers. I think the basic version can be had for under $250.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would like the know the same. Is there a consensus on the best $250-300 light?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I can't find aforementined jet lite for less than about 320

i am presently talking to Tom at TurboCats lights about their dual source system ...light on helmet and bars...about 360... this may best fit the needs of how i ride....more than in the budget...but it is Christmas Time!

My teenage daughter runs Cross County and i ride w her in the trails (read that she is rather fast and bike is only way my 230 lbs can ever keep up!) later in the evening when cooler. So this dual system works well for trailing her during her long runs. Maybe an unusual application but it is a great way to spend time w her.

As mentioned in Turbocat reviews...this guy Tom is very helpful and you call them he answers the phone and he runs the company....soemwhat refreshing...

Also gonna check out the just mentined Cygo lite combo...

Good Luck with it

Prayer

BBW
    mtbr member
    I had a Jetlite phantom for 5 years without a single problem. Ditto
    bikerbob has the for 250$
    with 14w bulb it lasts 3:20h and with the 22w bulb it lasts 2 h.
    You can change the bulb yourself
    With 14w puts out 420 lumens I think (I rode 5 years with that and it's plenty) and with the 22w puts out 780 lumens I think.
    In the halogen department, nothing comes close to jetlite. Their 14W system is really a lot of light
    Really a great system

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have seen the 14w for under $200. In fact I saw a Starfire (same light but with a bar mount) for around $160 or so. All you have to do is buy the helmet mount and you will have both mounts- bar and helmet. There was one left when I was looking.

I bet you can find a brand new one (22w) for around $250-$270. I'm 99% sure I can so if you decide to go with Jet Lites, PM me if you cannot find it for less than MSRP and you need some help. I can find you other lights too but I rarely recommend Nite Riders though you can get the Minewt and Trinewt for well under MSRP.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thanks will look at biker bob site now

prayer

mtbr member
    Check out the Cygolite DualCross Pro. It puts out bunches of light, has a long run time, and the battery is super small. I have used both it and a Niterider MiNewt Dual and think the Cygolite is more light for the money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The same light at Bikerbob for $250 is $175 at Redbarn. It just has the bar mount and you can buy the helmet mount for around $20 and have both mounts with the exact same light for around $200. There was just one left when my buddy was looking at inexpensive lights a few weeks ago. Call Chad at redbarnbicycles.com. It may have sold already but it's worth a call.

If you want to go HID, there was also a Jet Blast HID there for around $225. Both these keep you well under $250. My buddy ended up with 22 watt Jet since he wanted the smartswitch and fuel gauge and mtnhighcyclery was practically local to him but it was closer to $300.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

check out iBlaast

Check out Nightlightning.com. They have the Blaast for $200 and the iBlaast for $215US without battery. Shipping to US is $21. Allbattery.com and batteryspace have a battery and charger for around $50. For under $275 you could get 720 lumens with a run time around 3 hours. Plus Claire and Eric are as nice as can be and very responsive. Keep in mind the time difference though (17 hours from Eastern).

Robby

Training for vacation

what about L&M?

http://www.bikelights.com/Products/s..._liion_cub.htm

I priced matched this one for $256. Its halogen and some people complain that the replacement batteries are too expensive. But its got an adjustable beam, li-on battery, HB and helemt mount, 7/10/13 watts and 390 lumens max.
    Mine is due in time for next wednesday's night ride

Capricious youth...
    Wait for a random coupon from Performance for like 20% off or something, and get the Enduro HID.

$300 - 20% = $240.00 + tax.

Probably right around $260 out the door (or shipped to your door... of course).
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Prayer mentioned Turbocat lights. They are also very well made. I think better than the Jets. Just pick one up and you'll feel the difference.

They are also very bright, brighter than other halogens I've used and seen. I use an s47 on the bars and a 15w Tarilguide on the helmet. I've never needed more than the 12w on the bars and the 15w helmet on. Run time is only 2 hours though and if I were to buy now, I'd go LED as the run times are awesome.

Everyone is always amazed when I crank up the s47 on high. Don't know the lumen output but it's easily brighter than the L&M HID my friends ride w/. Be careful though as the run time on high is only about 40 min. Bummer there.

MB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rarely recommend the Turbocats halogens because the runtime on high is ridiculously low. The quality of the housing is very high. They are (at least were) made of machined Aluminum and on high, the beam is incredible. However, with a nice beam like that, I'd like to run it on high almost all the time and 40 mins isn't even half my short night ride. I wish they would do something about the batteries and run time. However, the Jets have proven to be just as reliable and durable and they still sell quite well with even longer burn times since they have the option of Li-Ion batteries with even the halogens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Ordered Jet Lites Blast yesterday

Flyer and All,

Thanks for your useful advice. I ordered Jet Lites Blast (HID) from Chad at Red Barn yesterday. After discusions w you guys and Jim at Jet Lights and Tom at Turbocats (both are great guys and very helpful!) looks like the bar mount blast is the answer. most riding at PM will be on open fire road environment or long open ST.... no twisty rocky tech trails

I got a great deal from Chad. First time i have ordered from him but heard great things about Re Barn. Also ordered the Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 for up front! My wife is gonna wrap both items and they will be under tree for Christmas!

Will report back on the jet light and Red Barn.

Now.... i am gonna shop for a less powerful helmet light for practical purposes. Dont want to spend more than $100 ... looking at reviews i see cygolite has a nitro? lite that may fit the bill... more research needed...

You guys have any thoughts here?

Prayer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good deal! I was hoping that Chad still had that inexpensive Blast left. My buddy bought his Jet Phantom from Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com so you may want to call him as well on your other light. Larry also has access to all sorts of lights and may have some left over. His prices are very good, especially if he knows you're a mtbr member.

At the $100 level, your choices are limted when it comes to an effective helmet light. If the Dinotte 200L is on sale, that one may come close. I am not familar with the inexpensive LEDs under that price range because I have never considered them bright enough for me and have not done much research. However, a light putting out 150-200 lumens in a good little beam will be effective enough to look around corners and many of the guys here may be more familiar with these types of lights.

In the meantime, try using your Blast on the helmet. You may be very surprised at how effective it is. I used one light on the helmet for quite awhile before getting a two-light setup. You may not even want a second light after a few rides with the Blast on the helmet.

Lastly, I realize this is a bit more than $100 but that Jet Starfire is a sweet bar light. Since Chad probably has that one left, see if he will hook you up on it. If you got that for the bar and used the Blast on the helmet, that would be plenty AND each light on its own, would be bright enough to be safe and to get you home in case something happened to one during a ride.

If I come up with a truly effective helmet light for $100, I'll post up. As far as the Big Betty goes, I'm waiting for the UST version to hit our shores in mid-Jan.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Jet lite Blast on Bar

Flyer

Thanks

The jet lite blast i have coming from red barn is a bar mount... dont know if it will work on helmet? Maybe there is a kit to modify... but i kinda like simplicty of bar mount....i.e. I dont have to wear back pack. Just drop battery in cage and go... experience w this will tell if this is true

Re Big Betty... what are the differences in the standard BB and the BB UST ? I presume the UST can run w/o tube... and has thicker sidewall... still learning all the new tire tech. i rode an old rigid univega alpina uno for about 20 yrs untill i broke it (literally) last year.

Thanks again for the great leads... i think i have emailed Larry at mtn high w tire questions before....seems v knowledgeable

Prayer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think a helmet mount is all you need to switch from bar to helmet. It may be around $2o or so. If you want to try it without a backpack, many simpy put the battery in the rear jersey pocket. Of course, you would have to wear a biking jersey or something with a pocket.

The UST Big Betty is a tubeless tire that many of us are waiting for. It has a UST bead and is pretty airtight. The weight does not go up much because the regular BB is essentially airtight to begin with. So a UST tire forms a tight seal/lock with a rim due to the thicker and softer tire bead. A non-UST tire would need a rim strip to achieve a similar seal, though still not as good as a UST or Tubeless-Ready tire on a UST rim or probably even a regular rim. It's important to me since I don't use tubes and do not like to use rimstrips either.

Chad and Larry are the two best guys to deal with. Larry is local to me (an hour away) and so I feel I'm supporting my LBS

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

hemet mount

Flyer

Thanks ... will check w Jet Lite web site to find out more on the helmet mount.

UST: Thinking of upgarding to more substantial rims/spokes next year...running dt swiss5.1 now. At 230 lbs would like something sturdier to reduce any flex.

So if i want to one day try the UST tires i need to also consider rims that can accomodate UST tires... as in air tight ?

Heading out to ride in the N Georgia rain!

Cheers!

Prayer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can simply use a rim strip to make the 5.1 rims airtight (many do this) or use something like the Stan's/Notubes Flow rims. Wait a while- I think we will see some more UST rims in 2008. Chk out the Wheels forum too- LOTS of good info we have discussed there. Post up if you wish after reading some of the existing posts. There is so much info there- good reading, you will find.