1.21 Jigowatts!

RC Car Batteries

Has anyone ever made some kind of homemade lighting setup that uses RC car batteries for the juice? I have a ton of these things laying around. No clue on how long they would last though, I know they are of the 6 cell design.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

Give dirt to me... Repent
    Jul 2005
    Are you sure they're six cells? I made a dual 3W luxeon light a year or so ago that runs off 9.6v RC car batteries which are 8 AA cells (finding these things for $10/ea, with charger, at Radio Shack is what inspired the light in the first place). The LEDs are driven in series by a 700mA Power Puck.

The light output is noticeably better than a friend's Cygo DualCross (probably due to a better batch of LEDs), and battery life is over three hours (the longest I've tried running it on one battery pack).

1.21 Jigowatts!
    I know they have six cells in each, but I don't know the specifics of each cell. I will check them out and report back.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

Person
    Sep 2005
    I use 6 cell Nicad 2100 packs.

Can't remember the exact numbers, but think I got about 45-60 minutes from one pack running a 15W 6V halogen, and 75-90 minutes with a 10W 6V halogen (MR11 bulbs).

I've got a h-bar light I put together with pvc bits, a 7.2v nicad rc car battery, and a 7.2v maglite bulb. It works well enough for what it is. I pretty much just use it for the occasions I commute in the dark. I had a really nice reflector for it at one point that made it bright enough to use in the woods, but that whole system got smashed to bits in a crash so what I'm using now isn't even remotely comparable.

Master of None
    Yeah, I have a triple XR-E light with one or two RC packs in parallel; I get about 3 hours of runtime with two. They are cheap and work good.

mtbr member
    Brubakes is probably referring to "real" RC batteries, the Sub-C size packs that used to come mainly as 7.2V 6 cell units.

Yes, there are a couple of ways of using these in a light setup. Cheap: Check out the "Pond Scum" light idea posted by a user here. It uses a 12V halogen bulb, so you have two options. First, stick with the 12V bulb, and connect two battery packs in series using a custom connector (spare connectors are available from Tower Hobbies or your local hobby shop). Second option would be to go out and get a 6V bulb to replace the 12V one, and only use 1 pack with it.

And it can get much more complex from there, with LED, HID, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    should work fine. batteries are batteries. im planning on using some paralleled 3s 2100mAh lithium polymers packs to run either a 3 or 4 XR-E headlight. that will give me 22.2v nominal at 4.2 Ah weighing roughly 350 grams. only problem with doing that is you have to protect them so they dont explode when you crash

Double-metric mtb man
    Bubble wrap and a padded frame bag?
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    some paralleled 3s 2100mAh lithium polymers packs to run either a 3 or 4 XR-E headlight. that will give me 22.2v nominal at 4.2 Ah
    To get 22.2V at 4.2 Ah out of 3s 2100mAh you need to connect those 3S packs 2S2P (both parallel and series connections). Better have a LiPo specific charger too.

mtbr member
    I would look into the Airsoft battery packs, basically the same thing, but tend to mach up more with what we want as in slightly higher voltages and more MHA. You can get them up to 10 volts or so and 4-5000mha.