mtbr member
    Aug 2007

R2 swap to R4 or R5 possible?

Guys i need help on my light it is a cygolite dualcross which i upgraded to Cree R2. I'm planning to swap it with an R4 or R5 LED is it possible? Is there an R4 or R5 on a premium star board mounted already? Can my driver carry the output of this new LED's? assuming i wont change anything from my existing light just the bulbs.

Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    As far as I can tell it should all work OK electrically anyway.
    R5 is the new XPG line. Much smaller dome means new optics.
    500 lumens vs 700.
    R4's are in stock at Cutter, R5's nowhere to be found.
    Lower voltage demands from the XPG over the R2.
    Take some photo's of the retrofit.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Eric S

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoy
    Can my driver carry the output of this new LED's?
    The R4 and R5 emitters are from the XP-G line. These are typically showing a slightly lower Vf than your R2 which is probably an XR-E. Some driver designs are not true constant current designs and will flow more current as Vf decreases. Don't know what Cygolite uses. A conversion project I did recently from a Luxeon K2 to an XP-G R5 raised the current level from 350 mA with the K2 to 420 mA on the R5. It seems to be fine though and it has seen about 3 or 4 hours of use so far. Try it and see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    a warning......
    from what I have read here the XP-G will have a much wider beam than the R2 you already have. If you plan to use the same optics that might not be what you want as it will probably end up with a dimmer centre spot than before.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thank you very much for the reply guys. I will purchase either the R4 or R5 which is available in our area. Maybe i'll do it this coming new year. I'll update you guys if i finish the experiment on my dualcross.

Thank you again and Merry Christmas!