relax

Idea! Questions for the light gurus...

Cree XR-E MR11 Kit
    The Cree XR-E MR11 comprises 3 pcs of the latest high flux bin, the Q5 from Cree, mounted on a recently designed MR11 Metal core printed circuit board, a Khatod 35 mm triple optic to suit the PCB and a Taskled 'Fatman' boost driver. This driver allows you to drive the leds below the forward voltage. Some possible power supply options for the Fatman include drining this light engine with a 6V SLA or 7.2V 6 cell NiMH.
    One of the key features of this kit is it should fit many of the MR11 light sets out there in the Headlamp, bike light community. Price: AU$95.95 (AU$105.55 Inc. GST)

I saw this kit on Cutter Electronics and I was wondering what do you guys think?
    Would the optic be right for a helmet light?
    Could I fit it in a existing light that takes MR11 bulbs?

Cheers,

J

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    It looks like a nice little kit. You will still need to find a way to mount a heat sink to the back of the MCPCB, and modify your existing light so that you can dissipate that heat from the heat sink to free moving air.

I notice that the kit you mention contains the “Fatman” which is a boost regulator, designed to run the three emitters from a 6 or 7 volt pack, or any pack with a lower voltage then the emitter forward voltage. The XR-E bflex MR11 kit contains the “bFlex” which is a buck regulator, which you could use a 12 volt or higher pack to power.

Dave.

relax
    I would choose the Bflex but it is easier for me to get cheep 6v and 7.2v Nicad and Nimh batteries so the Fatman seems more appropriate.
    I know that I have to find a way to dissipate the heat and it's going to be a challenge but I am going to find a way. I have access to a lath at work.
    How would you fix the MCPCB with the LEDs on the heat sink? Thermal compound and screws or Arctic Silver adhesive?

Also, does the driver have to be in the light unit?

Thanks for your help

J

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Access to a Lathe will certainly make things easier!

Either way of fixing the MCPCB to the heat sink should be okay, although I have no knowledge of how that particular MCPCB is set out. Most should allow for pretty easy mounting.

You should be able to mount the driver anywhere without problems too. George at TaskLED (creator of the Fatman) makes some great drivers.

relax
    So, that means I could put the driver with the battery pack?
    The drivers from TaskLED are probably very good. Never used one before.
    Will I be able to set them right, that is the question?
    J